Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

64-4

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Agreed, Newtown Jets have waited long enough for their shot. Get them in, licensing is ruining the sport in Oz and the world.

Better yet, replace Parra with Fev!!

#22 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

In addition to the 60pts to 4 this weekend in the last few rounds we have seen scores of

56 to 14,  42 to 6,  40 to 6,  68 to 4.

Whilst acknowledging the NRL is a stronger league, I always thought it served up really tight games.   Seems to be a fair number of big points differences.  Any rational why.

#23 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Parramatta were a lost cause mid season when the Coach told half the players both minor and big names that they were not going to be there next year.

What has a squad got when half are told they are ###### and are sacked?

They would still have done better than Hull in the Challenge cup though  :tongue:  or Hull KR

What a promotion that was for the game.

The three other Aussies that saw it downunder agreed with me it was not the best advertisement for the game.

Your right it wasn't the best advertisement for the game.  But it was affected by the weather.  I'm quite sure even the Aussie national team would have played very conservatively in that weather.   Never-the-less Hull split the ball so much that it suggest their skill level was particularly poor or the pressure of being in a final totally overwhelmed some players.

#24 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Parramatta, Canberra and Wests have serious off field issues which may help explain why they have had some high scores put past them. Some clubs can deal with problems better than others due to the leadership and culture at them- Melbourne and Manly are good examples of having gone through off field issues and not letting it disrupt them too much. And if players are allowed to manipulate a situation they will do- see Benji Marshall or the Canberra Raiders players

I think in society today there are many self centered people and its getting worse that most people only care about themselves rather than others or their team- Look at the players who want to break contracts or board members trying to oust others to get control of a club. A club needs somebody to lead the players and say forget whats going on focus on yourself and whats best for our club. People like Craig Bellamy for example is somebody who will not tolerate an Ego who could cause a problem. EVERY player or Coach that goes to Melbourne is told in no uncertain terms what is expected of them and the role they play. If they show signs of not following his ways they wont get signed. A coach must not just be a good coach but a strong leader and set down what is required. At Parramatta with Ricky Stuart it seems discipline is very much missing. Players do what they want- same as at Wests and Canberra.

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Parramatta, Canberra and Wests have serious off field issues which may help explain why they have had some high scores put past them. Some clubs can deal with problems better than others due to the leadership and culture at them- Melbourne and Manly are good examples of having gone through off field issues and not letting it disrupt them too much. And if players are allowed to manipulate a situation they will do- see Benji Marshall or the Canberra Raiders players

I think in society today there are many self centered people and its getting worse that most people only care about themselves rather than others or their team- Look at the players who want to break contracts or board members trying to oust others to get control of a club. A club needs somebody to lead the players and say forget whats going on focus on yourself and whats best for our club. People like Craig Bellamy for example is somebody who will not tolerate an Ego who could cause a problem. EVERY player or Coach that goes to Melbourne is told in no uncertain terms what is expected of them and the role they play. If they show signs of not following his ways they wont get signed. A coach must not just be a good coach but a strong leader and set down what is required. At Parramatta with Ricky Stuart it seems discipline is very much missing. Players do what they want- same as at Wests and Canberra.

Stuart was signed because he is supposed to be a strict man manager and would not take any ######.

He is having a massive clear out and we shall see next season I guess, he has not done well managing the Club this season.

Parramatta have something wrong with them..

They sign players that seem to get worse when they arrive and some are not that good before they get there.

They let loads of players go that move to other Clubs and become fantastic players.

They have loads off off field issues with management and the board and have done for years.

They sign Coaches that have issues or are unsuitable.

If they could sort themselves out for a few seasons they may see some of what was a large fan base come back, I suspect the mismanagement for so long has seen many of these fans lost permanently.

The "Parramatta Army" back in the day was good for the game.

Edited by AndyCapp, 25 August 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Very true, but unlike in SL, an NRL team's status can change pretty quickly. Parramatta were Grand Finalists in 2009 and now look down and out. It'll be no surprise if in the next 2-3 years they're in contention again. Since 2004 the Roosters have gone from being Grand Finalists to Wooden Spoon recipients, back to being Grand Finalists (they got there in 2010 after coming bottom in 2009), back to being poor and now back to being favourites again.

Some teams (most notably Melbourne) have been at the top for a long while, but generally speaking the balance of power shifts far more regularly over there than it does here. For me that's one of the aspects that makes it such an enjoyable and intriguing competition.

all to do with licensing.............if they had the archaic system we are adopting again of promotion and relegation then the league would not be any where near as competetive as it is.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Stuart was signed because he is supposed to be a strict man manager and would not take any ######.

That surprises me a lot. How can a man with so little self-control and so many disciplinary issues be a good thing for a club in trouble? I'd have gone someone a lot less hot-headed.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

The three other Aussies that saw it downunder agreed with me it was not the best advertisement for the game.

What happened to the other twenty million of you?

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm sure petro will be along soon to tell us para were actually competitive and it was much better than any SL one sided game etc blah blah...

It's Petero by the way.

I chose not to even watch this one as I imagined what could transpire. The way that Melbourne have now formulated themselves after a mid-season blip and the way they are going now, it comes as no surprise whatever that V Parramatta they would run riot.

I cannot pass any opinion upon the game itself, but I would concur with another person who stated that as bad as Parra have been and are, they would almost certainly have finished withion the top eight in S/L, so crowing over something of this nature and faced with that retort (not from me either) I would think it prudent to keep quite on the issue.

As Andy Capp says too; they would have done better on Saturday than did Hull as well. Conversly though I also agree with the comment on HKR probably beating Wigan there at the weekend had Wigan played them and performed as poorly as they did in the game. 

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

What happened to the other twenty million of you?

They didn't know it was on.

#31 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

They didn't know it was on.

Do you know the viewing figures for the cc on TV down under?

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Confident Hull KR would have stuffed Wigan yesterday!

I'm confident Wigan stuffed Hull KR on their way to Wembley.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

That isn't a stuffing at all. Rovers U19s beating Fev 116-0 on Monday was a stuffing!

A highest winning margin of any Hull KR side - ever. I saw about 13 of the 21 tries either side of half time.

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

That isn't a stuffing at all. Rovers U19s beating Fev 116-0 on Monday was a stuffing!

A highest winning margin of any Hull KR side - ever. I saw about 13 of the 21 tries either side of half time.

But Hull Rovers don't produce their own juniors. Parky said so.

#35 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Do you know the viewing figures for the cc on TV down under?

No I can not find them anywhere.

I did not see the game mate, I was joking, it did not get any coverage downunder and I don't think it was shown at all on free to air TV.

Probably just Eurosports pay TV channel, I know its on this Friday afternoon (I hope that is a replay and not its first showing)

I gave up on Pay TV a couple of years ago so I watch most of my English games either from a streaming site or highlights packages on line.

#36 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

No I can not find them anywhere.

I did not see the game mate, I was joking, it did not get any coverage downunder and I don't think it was shown at all on free to air TV.

Probably just Eurosports pay TV channel, I know its on this Friday afternoon (I hope that is a replay and not its first showing)

I gave up on Pay TV a couple of years ago so I watch most of my English games either from a streaming site or highlights packages on line.

Was a genuine question mate, surprised it wasnt shown on free to air, but I dont really know how many games are down under. 

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Was a genuine question mate, surprised it wasnt shown on free to air, but I dont really know how many games are down under. 

No I understand.

Its a shame that the ESL does not get more coverage on free TV, especially now with all of the extra freeview channels that need content.

Channel Nine has not been good for Rugby League in Australia, they totally rooted the deal they had a few years ago with SL, they showed the games before the NRL Sunday game then it was hit and miss then it was shoveled off to 12am on a Monday night.

At the time there was quite a few well known Aussies plying their trade in England and there would have been plenty of people that would have had a look to see Matt King, Buderus, Richards and Berrigan etc if they showed it at a half reasonable time.

The RFL should try and cut a deal with Channel 10 who have a sports channel that show lots of tripe like Baseball and Nascar, they would find a market there for the League fans.

The Challenge Cup used to be a pretty big event downunder, people would stay up to watch it at midnight, then again it was when the playing seasons were opposite and many big name players from the ARL went North in the off season.

I still remember watching the 1985 Final with several big name Aussie and Kiwi players on either side and the two Halfbacks from my Club on either side.

One of the best Rugby League games I have ever seen in either hemisphere.

Edited by AndyCapp, 28 August 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#38 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thats mainly why I was surprised, I can remember "back in the day" how it was well known that many Aussie fans used to stay up to watch the final and it was held in very high regard. Shame to see it no longer gets the coverage it deserves down under.

#39 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

I'm just wanting to understand why some big "blowout" scores in some games, something I didn't think happened.  As pre previous example and just looking at last few rounds:

West Tigers 14 v 56 Sydney Roosters (round 23)

Penrith Panthers 6 v 42 Sydney Roosters (round 21) 

Canberra 4 v 68 Melborne (round 21)

Roosters v Sharks 40 to 0 (round 19)

Someone mentioned that the Wests, Parramatta & Canberra had off field issues.  But I also note the Panthers and Sharks hammering.  Both of whom are in top 10 in the "ladder". I'm guessing they where one offs and that the Roosters are so good.

#40 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

I am sure that Cronulla had the likes of Fifita,gallen, lewis out for state of origin. Roosters are good though and why they are first. Its one of the stupid things with state ofmorigin that teams are forced to send out weakened teams during this time and crowds are lower as well. SoO should be played on a weekend and teams not forced to miss thier stars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users