Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

State of Origin - County of Origin ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saints AJ

Saints AJ
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Every year I watch with awe, and a certain amount of envy, as the Aussies host their 3 match state of origin series.. NSW v Queensland.. 'State against State...Mate against Mate'. Its a fantastic spectacle, promoting the Aussie game and their players domestically (and now, a few years down the line) to a world wide audience. All the NRL sides buy into it because they understand that ultimately they gain from the 'ripples' that such a series generates - it enhances the profile of their game immensely.

Every time I watch my team, St.Helens, take on a team from Yorkshire, opposition fans proudly sing not just their team songs, but chant their county. The Lancashire v Yorkshire.. Red Rose v White Rose is an ingrained rivalry with historic significance, arguably, with far more fervor than the NSW Queensland rivalry. 

I note the increasing trend for the Aussies to pick off our elite players for the NRL - this is a huge risk for the Super League - without the likes of Tomkins, Graham, Burgess(s), Hock, Roby(?) our game is a much weaker product. Perhaps a 3 game 'County of Origin' series, where the players are paid a decent chunk out of gate receipts, may just stem the flow.

Accepting it may take a few seasons for it to really take off, perhaps with the imminent revamp of our structure, is the time now right to take a risk on a domestic 'origin' series ? 

#2 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

It wouldn't be inclusive enough. As a Cumbrian we would give Yorkshire or Lancashire a fright on our home patch, never mind there's the southerners, French and welsh. I get jealous of origin too, but Yorkshire v Lancashire is not the answer.
waddell

#3 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Every year I watch with awe, and a certain amount of envy, as the Aussies host their 3 match state of origin series.. NSW v Queensland.. 'State against State...Mate against Mate'. Its a fantastic spectacle, promoting the Aussie game and their players domestically (and now, a few years down the line) to a world wide audience. All the NRL sides buy into it because they understand that ultimately they gain from the 'ripples' that such a series generates - it enhances the profile of their game immensely.

Every time I watch my team, St.Helens, take on a team from Yorkshire, opposition fans proudly sing not just their team songs, but chant their county. The Lancashire v Yorkshire.. Red Rose v White Rose is an ingrained rivalry with historic significance, arguably, with far more fervor than the NSW Queensland rivalry.

I note the increasing trend for the Aussies to pick off our elite players for the NRL - this is a huge risk for the Super League - without the likes of Tomkins, Graham, Burgess(s), Hock, Roby(?) our game is a much weaker product. Perhaps a 3 game 'County of Origin' series, where the players are paid a decent chunk out of gate receipts, may just stem the flow.

Accepting it may take a few seasons for it to really take off, perhaps with the imminent revamp of our structure, is the time now right to take a risk on a domestic 'origin' series ?

Erm, you do realise we have had these games before don't you?, they didn't work then and they wouldn't work now.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

And the bowl of petunias said "oh no not again"

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Welcome to the forum Saints AJ. It's always good to see new members joining and taking part in the discussions.

However, this subject has been under lengthy discussion on the forum quite recently in the following thread:

http://www.totalrl.c...es#entry2752517

Please carry on the debate there, to avoid too many threads duplicating similar themes, which can become quite frustrating for regular visitors.

Thanks.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users