Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

I read Calvins, "attempts" at writing about a sport he clearly knows little about in this Sundays Independent. His was a smirking exaggerated, undignified piece of garbage describing our sport as a prisoner of geography. He describes our day at Wembley  as the need to make the most of the codes "day release" from the "Ghetto " of satellite television, and stated that Wembley Way in the rain was a cross between a works outing and an annual re-union of extra's from phoenix nights.

For me with age, I believe has come dignity but his piece of trolling reminded me of a certain Christopher Hilton describing the Widnes Ground Circa the signing of Jonathan Davies as a "Gaunt Citadel". I don't have any idea why once respected journalists stoop to detract from Tradition and pride and love for a game. In a world full of corporate greed and financial meltdowns , Calvin believes that a lack of a corporate middle tier, detracts from our game.

On the Contrary, because as a sport we are dependant on spirit and pride and dare I say heritage and these three principles are lacking in every respect in the words of Calvin, who in this piece failed at every level to inspire the reader.

Edited by Vikingste, 30 August 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

It was a vile article, one of the worst I've seen. I used to read the Independent a few years ago, but whenever I see an article from it these days I wonder whether they even want anyone to read it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

I read the article online after picking up on it on Twitter.

Tony Hannan tweeted earlier: 'Interesting fact. There were almost as many at Wembley's 'Moonie wedding' on Saturday (78,137) as read The Independent (83,619)'

Says it all really!  Although when I read the article I ended up wanting to smack Calvin in the mush, I now just think he's an idiot and who wants to read the Independent anyway?

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,540 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

There was quite an exchange of views on twitter about this. To be fair to him he did interact with critics. He told me RL needs to evolve.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

There was quite an exchange of views on twitter about this. To be fair to him he did interact with critics. He told me RL needs to evolve.

He is clearly clueless as he appeared unaware that in fact it HAS evolved.  For example, the sport is now actually played in the south.  From his piece, it is apparent he didn't know that.

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

There was quite an exchange of views on twitter about this.

Which goes a long way to explain why he wrote such inflammatory comments in the first place. To get a reaction. Works every time.

However, if such negativity about Rugby League from elsewhere galvanises its own supporters to be more positive about it in reaction, then some good can still come of it. :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,540 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Which goes a long way to explain why he wrote such inflammatory comments in the first place. To get a reaction. Works every time.

However, if such negativity about Rugby League from elsewhere galvanises its own supporters to be more positive about it in reaction, then some good can still come of it. :)

Whether he was trying to be controversial or not, the fact is that we can put him right on his ignorant comments. And even if he knows what we tell him anyway, many of his followers and readers do not.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,540 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

He is clearly clueless as he appeared unaware that in fact it HAS evolved. For example, the sport is now actually played in the south. From his piece, it is apparent he didn't know that.

Yes which is pretty much what I told him.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

does any other sport have to put up with this? Why not?

#10 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

does any other sport have to put up with this? Why not?

Do you not realise we are but a bunch of chppiy northerners who watch a game 'played by Ape like beings' (sic)

(P.s was the irony about the last quote lost on most of the UK)

#11 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Rugby League will be around long after the corporate middle tier has gone...

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

THhs Mike Calvin? http://en.wikipedia....iki/Mike_Calvin

If so, I think we need to do more than just dismiss his article out-of-hand as vile.

rugby league’s qualities, in an age of plastic fans, synthetic emotion, unreconstructed greed and absentee ownership, should not be denigrated casually.

this is a sport in tune with its community. 

The pretences of the forthcoming World Cup, where games will be staged in such outposts as Neath, Workington, Leigh and Limerick, will be highlighted by those with a vested interest in its marginalisation. ( quite a few of whom post on here.)

The thing is right, this guy is no fool: have a look at his CV.   His perceptions might be wrong, but is is perceptions that count, that inform opinions. I reckon he is not alone in thinking this way either and there must be reason for this.  

Rather than the usual conditioned response of attacking anyone who dare criticise our game,  we should take Jonoco's advice in post #7 and explain the situation to him.    Maybe even invite him to the Grand Final to spend a day with the fans , then watch and report on the game.

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

And John sends up a high lob.... Who will smash it back over the net?

#14 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

THhs Mike Calvin? http://en.wikipedia....iki/Mike_Calvin

The thing is right, this guy is no fool: have a look at his CV.   His perceptions might be wrong, but is is perceptions that count, that inform opinions. I reckon he is not alone in thinking this way either and there must be reason for this.  [/size]

Rather than the usual conditioned response of attacking anyone who dare criticise our game,  we should take Jonoco's advice in post #7 and explain the situation to him.    Maybe even invite him to the Grand Final to spend a day with the fans , then watch and report on the game.[/size]

Anyone got a contact at the RFL then? Or perhaps LPL could get him to do a piece ?

#15 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

I made some spelling mistakes.......................I was so incensed, that a journalist can make reference to distant cousins from Whitehaven as if some kind of inter breeding had taken place long before he discovered he could actually write. . The report he filed is a foul piece of journalism which if aimed at black Africans or muslims of gay lesbians , would result in legal proceedings against him.

Therefore Calvin you are an imposter frightened in every respect to say these things face to face to league supporters. The group of 5 I was with on Saturday were all highly Educated, one had a PHD, and we don't need Pheonix Nights or escapes from any Ghetto's because we like who we are and were we come from......................spelling mistakes and all

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,540 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

JohnM, I am not sure that it is down to us to give experienced journalists a crash course in RL. If he doesn't know much about it, he should either research it or reserve comment until he does.
Very lazy stuff

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

JohnM, I am not sure that it is down to us to give experienced journalists a crash course in RL. If he doesn't know much about it, he should either research it or reserve comment until he does.
Very lazy stuff

Spot on.

#18 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

The RFL should have an early warning system to prevent this sort of thing happening.

When a journalist such as Calvin applies for accreditation, the warning lights should flash. If he writes positively about the game the publicity can be priceless, but if he writes the sort of nonsense that we see, then it does great damage.

Although I was in the press box on Saturday, I don't remember seeing him, so I checked with the RFL.

Apparently he stayed in the media room, virtually alone, throughout the whole game. They seem to think that he watched the whole game on TV, without going outside once. He was also notable by his apparent absence from the post-game press conferences.

We get very few sports feature writers from any of the nationals attending any of our big games these days.

Therefore, when they do, the RFL should have someone whose job it is to sit with the individual concerned to explain the game to them, both off the field and on it. Calvin clearly doesn't seem to know, for example, that RGS Wycombe won the Stephen Mullaney Trophy. So much for a northern ghetto!

It's called news management, and the RFL needs to learn how to do it. If the RFL had asked me, for example, to speak to him before the game, I would gladly have done so. But I didn't know he was there.

It's important, because in a World Cup year this sort of thing is likely to happen again, if the RFL allows it.

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,752 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Very lazy stuff

would it hurt, though?

#20 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

The RFL should have an early warning system to prevent this sort of thing happening.

When a journalist such as Calvin applies for accreditation, the warning lights should flash. If he writes positively about the game the publicity can be priceless, but if he writes the sort of nonsense that we see, then it does great damage.

Although I was in the press box on Saturday, I don't remember seeing him, so I checked with the RFL.

Apparently he stayed in the media room, virtually alone, throughout the whole game. They seem to think that he watched the whole game on TV, without going outside once. He was also notable by his apparent absence from the post-game press conferences.

We get very few sports feature writers from any of the nationals attending any of our big games these days.

Therefore, when they do, the RFL should have someone whose job it is to sit with the individual concerned to explain the game to them, both off the field and on it. Calvin clearly doesn't seem to know, for example, that RGS Wycombe won the Stephen Mullaney Trophy. So much for a northern ghetto!

It's called news management, and the RFL needs to learn how to do it. If the RFL had asked me, for example, to speak to him before the game, I would gladly have done so. But I didn't know he was there.

It's important, because in a World Cup year this sort of thing is likely to happen again, if the RFL allows it.

I find it hard to think that what you suggest doesn't automatically happen.   In any business I have been we pay huge attention to this sort of detail,  well not really detail its the blatantly obvious first rules of ensuring you do all possible to minimise any poor perceptions and look after your customers and potential influencers.  OK they may still have those perceptions but you ensure you have a effective and detailed plan for each identified attendee of your invited guest list or the media people in attendance.

I can not believe that what you outline could happen in any business marketing, communications or sales depart I've ever been in - mind you the companies have been amongst the most if not the most successful in the world.   I just assume its the way any well run business conducts itself.   It would be an eye-opener if what you outline was allowed to happen.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users