Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#241 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way! Maybe we should see it as an opportunity!

I'm not saying that this article isn't bad or insulting, it clearly is. However, perhaps the RFL should go all out to get him to the grand final. Offer him a hotel room after, free transport, whatever it takes to get him there. Then make sure that there is someone like Martyn, or maybe Andy Wilson (they share an interesting in cricket after all), or Clair Blading to act as a brand ambassador, and as much as possible make sure he has a good time. Mr Calvin will probably know he went over the top in his generalisations and I'd hope would be willing to entertain the notion of going to the Grand Final or some other big event, especially since we all acknowledge that as a sport we didn't have our best foot forward. We need to be courting people involved in the media at this level. Not alienating them from the sport.

So how will this change his view that our fanbase is full of fat northern oiks gathering for a freakshow?

That is the main issue with the report!

#242 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Maybe a more pleasant overall experience will make him look at the positives and not just see the negatives.

As an example when I first watched the film The Usual Suspects I'd been dumped by my girlfriend about 2 hours earlier (I'm guessing that was in 1996). I hated it and only noticed the bad things about the film and inconsistencies. I avoided it again until last year when I watched it with some friends and saw it for what it was, smart and quirky.

As I said this doesn't excuse the report but we should be trying to impress these people.

Edited by RidingPie, 29 August 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#243 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Are you suggesting Calvin was dumped by his girl/boyfriend on Saturday morning?

rldfsignature.jpg

#244 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Are you suggesting Calvin was dumped by his girl/boyfriend on Saturday morning?

Are you suggesting he actually had one to lose?  :tongue:

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#245 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,098 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

So, if I'm following this right, Riding Pie's ex-girlfriend is Keyser Soze.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#246 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,377 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

So how will this change his view that our fanbase is full of fat northern oiks gathering for a freakshow?

That is the main issue with the report!

He'd probably do another, possibly worse hatchet job, as well as crowing over the way the RFL were fawning over him.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#247 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

There isn't a single problem with RL that can't be solved by giving loads of stuff away for free.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#248 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Who's Riding Pie's ex-girlfriend ?

#249 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm sure one of them was... although probably not that one!

#250 crusadin_photoman

crusadin_photoman
  • Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ok how about this 'close to the bone'

Rugby union is watch primarily by Barbour wearing toffs, who generally resort to casual racism/homophobia in there conversations. They follow rugby union so that they can artificially climb the social ladder, making up for their shortcomings as a person devoid of individual talent.

As and outsider to rugby union some of this Tripe rings a bell to me

That's not how it is here in Wales...come and visit my club and I'll donate £5 to charity for every Barbour wearing toff you spot. I guarantee my wallet will stay firmly in my pocket.

Edited by crusadin_photoman, 29 August 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#251 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Maybe a more pleasant overall experience will make him look at the positives and not just see the negatives.

As an example when I first watched the film The Usual Suspects I'd been dumped by my girlfriend about 2 hours earlier (I'm guessing that was in 1996). I hated it and only noticed the bad things about the film and inconsistencies. I avoided it again until last year when I watched it with some friends and saw it for what it was, smart and quirky.

As I said this doesn't excuse the report but we should be trying to impress these people.

Again, it would be good if Martyn could give us a bit more insight into this area, but is the journalists experience worse in RL than other sports?

#252 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

maybe the RFL should be making the sport one that journalists love to cover. I'm sure there's food on and other such stuff but could this be improved somehow? Quite probably is my guess.

Again Martyn would be the person to answer those questions as I'll never be a journalist.

#253 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I guarantee my wallet will stay firmly in my pocket.

But that's just a typical Welshman anyway. You lot are like Scotsmen with the generosity removed.

rldfsignature.jpg

#254 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

So, the best way of combatting prejudiced stereotypes is resorting to a prejudiced stereotype. :banghead:

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#255 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,827 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

maybe the RFL should be making the sport one that journalists love to cover. I'm sure there's food on and other such stuff but could this be improved somehow? Quite probably is my guess.

Again Martyn would be the person to answer those questions as I'll never be a journalist.

I'll tell you a story that I think illustrates one difference between our sport and the other code.

Some years ago we employed a reporter to cover occasional London games who also covered Wasps games for a national newspaper in the days when they played at Queens Park Rangers' Loftus Road ground.

One day I asked him to explain the differences between the reception he received from Wasps, and from London Broncos.,

He told me that Wasps always telephoned his newspaper to inquire who would be covering them. They would then contact the writer to invite him to join them for a three-course meal before the game, meeting all the corporate guests and the club's directors and leading officials. They would then, bearing in mind that they played in winter, give him a hip-flask of whisky to take into the press box. After the game he had access to the coaches and any player he wanted to speak to.

As he said to me, how could he write anything bad about the club when they treated him that way?

Needless to say with the Broncos, no one ever contacted him before the game, he was never given any hospitality, and the club ignored him, in so far as they could, on game day. They made little effort to make players available after the game.

Why do you think the Broncos never get much publicity in London?

#256 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

So, the best way of combatting prejudiced stereotypes is resorting to a prejudiced stereotype. :banghead:

It's a bit like a comedian dealing with a heckler. Apart from a few people in the locale, no-one hears the heckler but everyone hears the comedian.

rldfsignature.jpg

#257 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

The approach Martyn you describe in your earlier post re Wasps and Broncos is exactly right and will work for some journo's.

However, reading the posts on here about said Calvin, the sport of RL is highly likely to be on the receiving end of 10 similar articles for every positive one, as his prejudices will always surface......especially when the acohol starts talking.

#258 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'll tell you a story that I think illustrates one difference between our sport and the other code.

Some years ago we employed a reporter to cover occasional London games who also covered Wasps games for a national newspaper in the days when they played at Queens Park Rangers' Loftus Road ground.

One day I asked him to explain the differences between the reception he received from Wasps, and from London Broncos.,

He told me that Wasps always telephoned his newspaper to inquire who would be covering them. They would then contact the writer to invite him to join them for a three-course meal before the game, meeting all the corporate guests and the club's directors and leading officials. They would then, bearing in mind that they played in winter, give him a hip-flask of whisky to take into the press box. After the game he had access to the coaches and any player he wanted to speak to.

As he said to me, how could he write anything bad about the club when they treated him that way?

Needless to say with the Broncos, no one ever contacted him before the game, he was never given any hospitality, and the club ignored him, in so far as they could, on game day. They made little effort to make players available after the game.

Why do you think the Broncos never get much publicity in London?

Blended or single malt?

#259 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

That's not how it is here in Wales...come and visit my club and I'll donate £5 to charity for every Barbour wearing toff you spot. I guarantee my wallet will stay firmly in my pocket.

Sooty about the mis-understanding mate I was being deliberately obtuse to make a point, if you read the rest of the post I did suggest that this was tripe.

#260 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Didn't the RFL try doing what you suggest with some papers sports editors a few years ago. All that happened is they all gave their invite away to their mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users