• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

would it hurt, though?

Possibly not but I am not sure we should allow lazy journalists to get an easy ride. I was not abusive to him or anything, yet he was portraying RL as some sort of freak show.
Simply not good enough. He doesn't have to like RL but his piece was insulting and ill researched.
Not sure we would get Dave Hadfield reviewing polo or something and get away with calling them a bunch of braying hooray Henrys.

Edited by Johnoco, 26 August 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#22 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Well I read his article and although I am a die hard rugby league enthusiast (must be as I watched Huyton in my younger days) and hate the negativity that seems to be habitual in some quarters of RL community .... I could not find too much wrong with the article. OK one or two sentences where harsh and I could see may insult some but his overall sentiments was hard to disagree with.

Edited by redjonn, 26 August 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

The RFL should have an early warning system to prevent this sort of thing happening.

When a journalist such as Calvin applies for accreditation, the warning lights should flash. If he writes positively about the game the publicity can be priceless, but if he writes the sort of nonsense that we see, then it does great damage.

Although I was in the press box on Saturday, I don't remember seeing him, so I checked with the RFL.

Apparently he stayed in the media room, virtually alone, throughout the whole game. They seem to think that he watched the whole game on TV, without going outside once. He was also notable by his apparent absence from the post-game press conferences.

We get very few sports feature writers from any of the nationals attending any of our big games these days.

Therefore, when they do, the RFL should have someone whose job it is to sit with the individual concerned to explain the game to them, both off the field and on it. Calvin clearly doesn't seem to know, for example, that RGS Wycombe won the Stephen Mullaney Trophy. So much for a northern ghetto!

It's called news management, and the RFL needs to learn how to do it. If the RFL had asked me, for example, to speak to him before the game, I would gladly have done so. But I didn't know he was there.

It's important, because in a World Cup year this sort of thing is likely to happen again, if the RFL allows it.

Have you discussed your thoughts with the RFL about having someone attend in these circumstances?  (I would, but I'm bolshy like that!)

Why is it that I always feel the RFL are amateurish in the way they approach almost everything?  Is it just my warped mind or is this the reality?

#24 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm a born and bred southerner who's never lived north of Wiltshire and I love rugby league.

Explain that Calvin!

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 26 August 2013 - 07:12 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

reincarnation?

#26 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

I find it hard to think that what you suggest doesn't automatically happen. In any business I have been we pay huge attention to this sort of detail, well not really detail its the blatantly obvious first rules of ensuring you do all possible to minimise any poor perceptions and look after your customers and potential influencers. OK they may still have those perceptions but you ensure you have a effective and detailed plan for each identified attendee of your invited guest list or the media people in attendance.

I can not believe that what you outline could happen in any business marketing, communications or sales depart I've ever been in - mind you the companies have been amongst the most if not the most successful in the world. I just assume its the way any well run business conducts itself. It would be an eye-opener if what you outline was allowed to happen.

This is analogous to a restaurateur getting a tip off that AA Gill had booked a table for the evening; this sort of thing really should be a trigger moment.

Perhaps the RFL needs to employ (articulate) ex players in ambassadorial roles on match days in order to meet and greet and deal with these very situations.

It's clear the sport has to win hearts and minds within the media if it wishes to escape the ghetto this writer depicts.

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Perhaps the RFL needs to employ (articulate) ex players in ambassadorial roles on match days in order to meet and greet and deal with these very situations

Great idea.

#28 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Possibly not but I am not sure we should allow lazy journalists to get an easy ride. I was not abusive to him or anything, yet he was portraying RL as some sort of freak show.
Simply not good enough. He doesn't have to like RL but his piece was insulting and ill researched.
Not sure we would get Dave Hadfield reviewing polo or something and get away with calling them a bunch of braying hooray Henrys.

That is the most disappointing thing about the piece, not the RL negativity (which we have come to expect), rather the ignorant stereotyping of northerners. It's a form of social prejudice that pervades 'southern' attitudes despite other forms of discrimination becoming increasingly unacceptable. Surely it is the responsibility of Calvin to be more open minded, rather than RL adaptable to his expectations. If he doesn't 'get' the game, fine, but no need to insult and categorise its fans with narrow minded views.

Edited by giwildgo, 26 August 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#29 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

I read Calvins, "attempts" at writing about a sport he clearly knows little about in this Sundays Independent. His was a smirking exaggerated, undignified piece of garbage describing our sport as a prisoner of geography. He describes our day at Wembley as the need to make the most of the codes "day release" from the "Ghetto " of satellite television, and stated that Wembley Way in the rain was a cross between a works outing and an annual re-union of extra's from phoenix nights.
For me with age, I believe has come dignity but his piece of trolling reminded me of a certain Christopher Hilton describing the Widnes Ground Circa the signing of Jonathan Davies as a "Gaunt Citadel". I don't have any idea why once respected journalists stoop to detract from Tradition and pride and love for a game. I a world full of corporate greed and financial meltdowns , Calvin believes that a lack of a corporate middle tier, detracts from our game.
On the Contrary, because as a sport we are dependant on spirit and pride and dare I say heritage and these three principles are lacking in every respect in the words of Calvin, who in this piece failed at every level to inspire the reader.

That was brilliantly written, much better than the post online course in journalism rubbish that Calvin wrote.

#30 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

THE CALVIN REPORT
FFS!
Up yourself much or what.

#31 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Apparently he stayed in the media room, virtually alone, throughout the whole game. They seem to think that he watched the whole game on TV, without going outside once. He was also notable by his apparent absence from the post-game press conferences.

Speaks volumes......."ronery, oh so ronery......."

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well, that response will  go a long way to putting him right....NOT  

The guy is clearly no fool, and enjoys the support  and endorsement of the very people we need on our side. So abusing him and making fun of him are hardly likely to win him and his mates over.  Martyn's point is an excellent one and I do feel that the game - fans, players, owners, deserve some sort of remedial action from the RFL

I repeat, though, perception is everything and if the article represents what he perceives there must be a reason for that.  Maybe that really is how our game looks to our uninitiated friends in the home counties. Yes, research might have led him to a different conclusion but why should he have had to have done his own research at such an event: why didn't the RFL press pack handed out on the day provide some guidance.

Look at this way: For the Grand Final, For the World Cup and for next year, the RFL now knows exactly what it has to include in the press pack.

"Calvin established a global reputation during a twelve-year spell as Chief Sportswriter on the Daily Telegraph. He held similar positions at The Times and Mail on Sunday, and is current columnist for the Sunday Mirror.[2]

He has twice been named Sportswriter of the Year, twice named Sports Reporter of the Year and has been honoured at the British Press awards on six other occasions. He has worked in more than 80 countries, covering every major sports event and such seminal news events as the release of Nelson Mandela".

#33 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

"Calvin established a global reputation during a twelve-year spell as Chief Sportswriter on the Daily Telegraph. He held similar positions at The Times and Mail on Sunday, and is current columnist for the Sunday Mirror.[2]
He has twice been named Sportswriter of the Year, twice named Sports Reporter of the Year and has been honoured at the British Press awards on six other occasions. He has worked in more than 80 countries, covering every major sports event and such seminal news events as the release of Nelson Mandela".

With that kind of CV John you'd expect something better than an opinion that was developed in the hospitality room on your own during the match unless of course he has an agenda and RL and northerners aren't part of it. Does he also denigrate the supporters if he covers a Sale v Newcastle RU game?

rldfsignature.jpg

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

The RFL should have an early warning system to prevent this sort of thing happening.

When a journalist such as Calvin applies for accreditation, the warning lights should flash. If he writes positively about the game the publicity can be priceless, but if he writes the sort of nonsense that we see, then it does great damage.

Although I was in the press box on Saturday, I don't remember seeing him, so I checked with the RFL.

We get very few sports feature writers from any of the nationals attending any of our big games these days.

Therefore, when they do, the RFL should have someone whose job it is to sit with the individual concerned to explain the game to them, both off the field and on it. Calvin clearly doesn't seem to know, for example, that RGS Wycombe won the Stephen Mullaney Trophy. So much for a northern ghetto!

It's called news management, and the RFL needs to learn how to do it. If the RFL had asked me, for example, to speak to him before the game, I would gladly have done so. But I didn't know he was there.

It's important, because in a World Cup year this sort of thing is likely to happen again, if the RFL allows it.

Excellent post Martyn.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#35 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Engaging sympathetically with someone with such entrenched regional/class prejudices would be a waste of resources. Even with his expenses paid, he couldn't even be bothered to go outside and witness the game first hand. The guy's a charlatan.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

So an RFL ambassador engages with him, what then?

He writes an article about how the RFL are so desperate to overturn prejudice that they spend their time talking to scribblers like him on what should be their biggest day of the year.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

So an RFL ambassador engages with him, what then?

He writes an article about how the RFL are so desperate to overturn prejudice that they spend their time talking to scribblers like him on what should be their biggest day of the year.

It might only need ex player A asking him if there is anything he needs to know about the game or whatever. It needn't be like that Forrero Roche advert

#38 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

It might only need ex player A asking him if there is anything he needs to know about the game or whatever. It needn't be like that Forrero Roche advert

The obvious question would be: " If you're a professional sports writer planning to write an honest article about this game, what are you doing in here?"

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

The obvious question would be: " If you're a professional sports writer planning to write an honest article about this game, what are you doing in here?"

Yes it would. But in terms of preventing a hatchet job, it might help

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

"It says something about how rightly concerned the RFL is about how little it impacts on the conscience of the nation south of its deindustralised heartlands that I was greeted by Martin Offiah, one of the few rugby league players anybody could be expected to name but sadly one who has not run in anger in more than a decade ..."

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users