TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#41 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Yes it would. But in terms of preventing a hatchet job, it might help

The hatchet was going to fall anyway. The guy has issues. Our response must avoid fulfilling his northern insecurity libel and/or corporate kiss-ass fantasies.

#42 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

You are Mike Calvin and I claim my £5.

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

"It says something about how rightly concerned the RFL is about how little it impacts on the conscience of the nation south of its deindustralised heartlands that I was greeted by Martin Offiah, one of the few rugby league players anybody could be expected to name but sadly one who has not run in anger in more than a decade ..."

Then he would be clearly showing his bad manners and there is not a lot you can do about that. It needn't be a famous player anyway, just someone who has played the game at the top and can eloquently explain any questions.

Failing that some rough house who will threaten to chin him if he writes anything bad.

#44 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

I think the reason for the tone may have been his experience in the media room prior to the game. TBH he will have had a look round and seen very few national feature writers or well known journos. This guy will probably have seen many of these type at Wimbledon, The FA Cup, Cricket, Twickenham etc.

That may well have provoked a 'what's the point' attitude. Can we blame him for this? It is the RFL's job to increase media presence and to get prominent journalists to big games. The fact that Martyn Sadler seemed to know everyone in the press box pretty much sums up the make-up of the Cup Final Media.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

The hatchet was going to fall anyway. The guy has issues. Our response must avoid fulfilling his northern insecurity libel and/or corporate kiss-ass fantasies.

Not a question of kissing anyones ass, just ensuring they have the full picture and are not just relying on clichés from the 60's

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think the reason for the tone may have been his experience in the media room prior to the game. TBH he will have had a look round and seen very few national feature writers or well known journos. This guy will probably have seen many of these type at Wimbledon, The FA Cup, Cricket, Twickenham etc.

That may well have provoked a 'what's the point' attitude. Can we blame him for this? It is the RFL's job to increase media presence and to get prominent journalists to big games. The fact that Martyn Sadler seemed to know everyone in the press box pretty much sums up the make-up of the Cup Final Media.

Whilst I know what you are saying, if he is unable to attend an event without the rest of his jolly boys outing, then that's pretty pathetic.

#47 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

It is quite amusing that a lot of the reaction that the game is full of chippy northerners is a good but of chippy outrage.

As has been commented by Martyn, it does smack a little of sub-optimal media management, I think a letter to the independent pointing out the popularity of the game in the South and the fact a team from High Wycombe won the school's final wouldn't go amiss.

Getting chippy and reactionary only confirms and entrenches people's negative stereotypes. With the media we're not big enough to take out ball and go home after poor media coverage, we have to lobby and win them round.

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Just sent  Calvin the link to the Ian Ramsdale piece quoted by GJ.

#49 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Whilst I know what you are saying, if he is unable to attend an event without the rest of his jolly boys outing, then that's pretty pathetic.

But on his arrival it may have seemed like a Jolly Boys get together of a very different type (i.e. RL in-crowd). I worked in the media for a number of years and it is very easy to sense the mood of an occasion quickly. The first thing I would notice would be the club Wembley emptiness, Luke Campbell guest of honour etc. Lack of National newspaper journalists.

It is up to the RFL to create that mood. Who knows he may have also encountered someone like Andy Wilson being his usual positive self about the state of the game. I am not condoning what he wrote just probably putting his experience into context a little.

Edited by Scubby, 27 August 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#50 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

It is quite amusing that a lot of the reaction that the game is full of chippy northerners is a good but of chippy outrage.

As has been commented by Martyn, it does smack a little of sub-optimal media management, I think a letter to the independent pointing out the popularity of the game in the South and the fact a team from High Wycombe won the school's final wouldn't go amiss.

Getting chippy and reactionary only confirms and entrenches people's negative stereotypes. With the media we're not big enough to take out ball and go home after poor media coverage, we have to lobby and win them round.

Letter-writing is for losers. RL doesn't need any lessons in either solvency or popularity from the Independent. A bit of dignity and self-respect would be a better starting point. 

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Not sure where anyone is being chippy? Unless you are counting the original article. Objecting to a poorly written and researched article is not chippy and it's pretty condescending to label anyone objecting to this article (moonie wedding? Really? ) as such.

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

But on his arrival it may have seemed like a Jolly Boys get together of a very different type (i.e. RL in-crowd). I worked in the media for a number of years and it is very easy to sense the mood of an occasion quickly. The first thing I would notice would be the club Wembley emptiness, Luke Campbell guest of honour etc. Lack of National newspaper journalists.

Yet he sensed the crowd was like extras from Phoenix Nights or like a moonie wedding? He sounds like a pretty ignorant person to me.

#53 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Letter-writing is for losers. RL doesn't need any lessons in either solvency or popularity from the Independent. A bit of dignity and self-respect would be a better starting point. 

1. not much it doesn't eh? rolling in the green stuff, our game.

2. Self respect? Our game is oozing in self respect, as is evident from all the highly positive posts on TRL about the Cup Final.

#54 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yet he sensed the crowd was like extras from Phoenix Nights or like a moonie wedding? He sounds like a pretty ignorant person to me.

I agree with you totally on that Johnoco - he comes across as a tool. I am just putting some context to it. To an outsider coming in would it have felt like a national event that is on the sport protection list? We don't help ourselves sometimes.

#55 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

1. not much it doesn't eh? rolling in the green stuff, our game.

2. Self respect? Our game is oozing in self respect, as is evident from all the highly positive posts on TRL about the Cup Final.

The Independent lost £16.6 million last year. Perhaps they should start employing better sports writers?

#56 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Anyone got a contact at the RFL then? Or perhaps LPL could get him to do a piece ?

Perhaps he should be invited to attend some amateur games in the South, and shown all the schools and juinior work going on outside the "ghetto" up North.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#57 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

reply from Mike Calvin: "thanks Johnny. Valued Ian's insight during CCF hoo-ha. He has very sound grasp of RL's challenges/opportunities"

#58 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

The Independent lost £16.6 million last year. Perhaps they should start employing better sports writers?

At least they have £16.6 million to lose.  Rugby League would kill for such small losses.  

The fact remains that he is an award winning sports writer and  we should listen and learn, not bury our heads in the sand.

#59 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

At least they have £16.6 million to lose.  Rugby League would kill for such small losses.  

The fact remains that he is an award winning sports writer and  we should listen and learn, not bury our heads in the sand.

On the contrary, he has things to learn from our sport, particularly about authenticity and professionalism. And how to spell Tomkins.

Edited by fetlar, 27 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#60 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately it's an unequal relationship.  The national newspapers don't really need rugby league.  Even if one paper decided to make itself the best national newspaper reporter of rugby league in an effort to get more subscribers it would struggle to break even on the matchday expenses of its reporters with the new readers it would get.  The newspapers understand that too many people are likely to simply say "I'll read the specific content I want for free online because I don't like the politics/morals/ethics/tax status of that particular newspaper".  A lifelong Telegraph reader is unlikely to change to the Guardian simply because it has a few stories a week about rugby league, regardless of how good.

It's the opposite relationship that you get with football and union where readers expect stories about those sports in the paper and would actively go elsewhere if they didn't get them.  Until you have all newspapers reporting rugby league to a competent level then you don't get into the "I'm not buying it because they don't cover my sport" territory.  If you used that argument now for rugby league then you'd be doing nothing bar buying some local papers for your general news.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users