Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

I do only buy the local paper but it is not really because of RL.

#62 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Why is it that I always feel the RFL are amateurish in the way they approach almost everything?  Is it just my warped mind or is this the reality?

Don't worry, it's not your warped mind.

Apart from the all too brief Lewis period, I think it's more or less the same old story.

That's me.  I'm done.

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

On the contrary, he has things to learn from our sport, particularly about authenticity and professionalism. And how to spell Tomkins.

well teach him, dear Liza, teach him. 

#64 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Unfortunately it's an unequal relationship.  The national newspapers don't really need rugby league.  Even if one paper decided to make itself the best national newspaper reporter of rugby league in an effort to get more subscribers it would struggle to break even on the matchday expenses of its reporters with the new readers it would get.  The newspapers understand that too many people are likely to simply say "I'll read the specific content I want for free online because I don't like the politics/morals/ethics/tax status of that particular newspaper".  A lifelong Telegraph reader is unlikely to change to the Guardian simply because it has a few stories a week about rugby league, regardless of how good.

It's the opposite relationship that you get with football and union where readers expect stories about those sports in the paper and would actively go elsewhere if they didn't get them.  Until you have all newspapers reporting rugby league to a competent level then you don't get into the "I'm not buying it because they don't cover my sport" territory.  If you used that argument now for rugby league then you'd be doing nothing bar buying some local papers for your general news.

How dare you come on here spouting such sense. Don't you know it's our job to shoot the messenger?

#65 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

well teach him, dear Liza, teach him. 

Charlatans should be exposed, not cuddled.

#66 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

So an RFL ambassador engages with him, what then?

He writes an article about how the RFL are so desperate to overturn prejudice that they spend their time talking to scribblers like him on what should be their biggest day of the year.

He's lazy - everyone is - so he'd probably write about whatever the well briefed, charming, personable (and very possibly attractive and female) PR type suggested he write about.

Andy Wilson, in the online BTL comments to his Observer piece where he comments as "roughyed", notes that the RFL seem "overstretched".

That's me.  I'm done.

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

How dare you come on here spouting such sense. Don't you know it's our job to shoot the messenger?

Hang on a minute. This guy was delivering no message, he was simply taking the pee. I am not sure why you seem to be putting RL fans on trial here, when it is this ignorant buffoon who is in the wrong (nb I don't care how many backslapping journalists awards he has)

#68 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Unfortunately it's an unequal relationship.  The national newspapers don't really need rugby league.  Even if one paper decided to make itself the best national newspaper reporter of rugby league in an effort to get more subscribers it would struggle to break even on the matchday expenses of its reporters with the new readers it would get.  The newspapers understand that too many people are likely to simply say "I'll read the specific content I want for free online because I don't like the politics/morals/ethics/tax status of that particular newspaper".  A lifelong Telegraph reader is unlikely to change to the Guardian simply because it has a few stories a week about rugby league, regardless of how good.

It's the opposite relationship that you get with football and union where readers expect stories about those sports in the paper and would actively go elsewhere if they didn't get them.  Until you have all newspapers reporting rugby league to a competent level then you don't get into the "I'm not buying it because they don't cover my sport" territory.  If you used that argument now for rugby league then you'd be doing nothing bar buying some local papers for your general news.

That's a neat analysis of the relationship between RL and the national press.

Now, what should RL do within that relationship to get better press?    Hint - "nothing"  isn't the right answer.

I'd suggest that leaving an award winning sports feature writer for one of the national papers to mooch about by himself in a huff probably isn't the right approach.

That's me.  I'm done.

#69 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

This guy was delivering no message, he was simply taking the pee.

Was he given a message to deliver by anybody at the RFL?  Seems not, so he just sat down and wrote a jolly little column about nothing.

That's me.  I'm done.

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Was he given a message to deliver by anybody at the RFL? Seems not, so he just sat down and wrote a jolly little column about nothing.

I have no idea but his message, such as it is, seems to be that RL is followed by a bunch of inbred retards.

#71 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

oh no!  he's been reading the forum!! :biggrin:

#72 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I have no idea but his message, such as it is, seems to be that RL is followed by a bunch of inbred retards.

... and isn't a worthy sport because it's not attached to the corporate teat.

#73 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Not sure where anyone is being chippy?

Apart from all the venomous angry attacks upon him saying "we'll if he's not going to be nice we shouldn't try to persuade him, we should treat him as a pariah" you mean?

The game needs to become more media/corporate friendly if it's going to attract more exposure and money.

I've got into work today at an insurance company on the south. Challenge Cup final was mentioned, general comment was it wasn't that good. That isn't as bad as it sounds, people recognised it wasn't the best example of Rugby League as they know the game can be really good. People do watch it here when it's on TV, this is an office very much into football, union and cricket and the Challenge cup has had similar level of discussion as the end of the test match (maybe because I've brought it up....)

#74 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

That's a neat analysis of the relationship between RL and the national press.

Now, what should RL do within that relationship to get better press?    Hint - "nothing"  isn't the right answer.

I'd suggest that leaving an award winning sports feature writer for one of the national papers to mooch about by himself in a huff probably isn't the right approach.

You're right.  Martyn's answer is probably the closest to what should happen if we get match day accreditation requests from journos who aren't known rugby league people.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#75 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Venomous? Hardly.

He doesn't have to like RL, he's perfectly entitled to think it is terrible. That's up to him.

Its the terrible lack of knowledge about exactly where RL is today and the insults that I object to. Unless of course that is being chippy.

Edited by Johnoco, 27 August 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#76 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I wonder if JohnM would be quite so forgiving of Mr Calvin if his 'article' had appeared in the Guardian.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#77 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,571 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

The article reads like he'd pretty much decided to slag the event off before he'd even set off for Wembley. Sadly, this is not uncommon.

The lazy stereotyping, the ignorance, the bad spelling... all par for the course. If the struggling Independent really want to lose even more readers, Calvin's doing a fine job for them.

I'm not calling for the kind of blinkered positivity that certain other sports enjoy - okay one other sport enjoys - as in the same paper, Dave Hadfield's article addresses the negatives as well as the positives, but in a far more informed, balanced and honest manner.

So if Dave was also at Wembley, why did the Independent also send a troll who wouldn't even make the effort to watch the match?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#78 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

not a venomous response?

smirking exaggerated, undignified piece of garbage

a world full of corporate greed and financial meltdowns

a vile article

I ended up wanting to smack Calvin in the mush, I now just think he's an idiot 

a foul piece of journalism which if aimed at black Africans or muslims of gay lesbians , would result in legal proceedings against him.

an imposter frightened in every respect

FFS!
Up yourself much or what. 

Well, that's one way to win much needed media friends and influence!  

Mail, Independent, Guardian, Times , Autotrader, whatever....if we continue to abuse and ridicule such people as Calvin, rather then listening and trying to understand why they have such perceptions, we will never make any progress.

#79 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Venomous? Hardly.

He doesn't have to like RL, he's perfectly entitled to think it is terrible. That's up to him.

Its the terrible lack of knowledge about exactly where RL is today and the insults that I object to. Unless of course that is being chippy.

I think JohnM makes my point well. The fact the thread is called unadulterated rubbish says a lot.

I never pointed fingers at anyone, bit if the cap fits where it.

#80 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

not a venomous response?

smirking exaggerated, undignified piece of garbage

a world full of corporate greed and financial meltdowns

a vile article

I ended up wanting to smack Calvin in the mush, I now just think he's an idiot 

a foul piece of journalism which if aimed at black Africans or muslims of gay lesbians , would result in legal proceedings against him.

an imposter frightened in every respect

FFS!
Up yourself much or what. 

Well, that's one way to win much needed media friends and influence!  

Mail, Independent, Guardian, Times , Autotrader, whatever....if we continue to abuse and ridicule such people as Calvin, rather then listening and trying to understand why they have such perceptions, we will never make any progress.

Really? Better include Richard Bacon too.

He fits the profile:

non-Southern roots

Grammar school alumnus

media influence

Both didn't get where they are today by promoting their cultural differences with the (media) establishment, I bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users