Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#141 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Cant wait for his next article on RL

#142 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,100 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

How did English football deal with his negativity about the English football game in his article on the champions league final - you could point at his denigrating of football in this country. He raised valid concerns about the state of the English football in comparison. to what was delivered that day as well as the overall sporting experience.   I don't think it caused such a outpouring of the froth I have read in response to his Rugby League article. Ignore the lack of detailed knowledge and what I assume was what he thought was witty stereotypes and focus on what he would see as the substance.  It is hard not to acknowledge truth in what was the underlying substance.

Again, where are people annoyed by the serious points that Calvin makes in his article?

I've just read the Champions League article and it is written respectfully, seemingly by someone who has knowledge on what he is writing. He does not sneer, patronise and offend, he makes serious points about the game over here.

Compared to the Challenge Cup article, his points about the empty corporate section is indeed an issue for the game - this has been acknowledged time and again this year by clubs, the RFL and fans. He points out that questions need to be asked about success in London - again this is discussed almost weekly within the game.

Erm.. and that's it. He said nothing new, cutting edge or interesting, he mentioned the two points fleetingly simply so he could wrap it up with a load of insults.

#143 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

not a venomous response?

smirking exaggerated, undignified piece of garbage

a world full of corporate greed and financial meltdowns

a vile article

I ended up wanting to smack Calvin in the mush, I now just think he's an idiot 

a foul piece of journalism which if aimed at black Africans or muslims of gay lesbians , would result in legal proceedings against him.

an imposter frightened in every respect

FFS!
Up yourself much or what. 

Charlatans should be exposed, not cuddled.

Well, that's one way to win much needed media friends and influence!  

Mail, Independent, Guardian, Times , Autotrader, whatever....if we continue to abuse and ridicule such people as Calvin, rather then listening and trying to understand why they have such perceptions, we will never make any progress.

Is there any other type of lesbian than a gay one?

#144 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

Oh yeah, he's really going to log into this forum to see what the semi-literate northern apes think of his piece isn't he?

Who do you think you are talking to? I resent that comment intensely. I am Northern but very literate and a homo sapiens far far removed from any apes. From my experiences on this forum there are a large number of literate Northern, non ape like, humans of above average intelligence and many appear to  e highly educated.

There are also a growing number of RL fanatics from the other reaches of the kingdoms not located in the Northern marches.

that was one ignorant comment. Do northern residents of England not hve a right to an opinion ?

#145 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

Who do you think you are talking to? I resent that comment intensely. I am Northern but very literate and a homo sapiens far far removed from any apes. From my experiences on this forum there are a large number of literate Northern, non ape like, humans of above average intelligence and many appear to e highly educated.

There are also a growing number of RL fanatics from the other reaches of the kingdoms not located in the Northern marches.

that was one ignorant comment. Do northern residents of England not hve a right to an opinion ?

I think the poster you quoted was being sarcastic.

#146 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Apart from the insulting references to those who attended the game, I'm struggling to see what else is wrong with the article in question. The Phoenix Nights vitriol aside, our sport would (in terms of positive progression) probably benefit from more honest journalism such as this - as opposed to the appalling 'everthing's hunkdory and wonderful' propaganda some fans are currently hypnotised by.

Edited by TheTerminator, 27 August 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

#147 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,100 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

Apart from the insulting references to those who attended the game, I'm struggling to see what else is wrong with the article in question. The Phoenix Nights vitriol aside, our sport would (in terms of positive progression) probably benefit from more honest journalism such as this - as opposed to the appalling 'everthing's hunkdory and wonderful' propaganda some fans are currently hypnotised by.

are you joking? there are often links to and threads all about the negative coverage from RL journalists.

Obviously we read different articles!

#148 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

LOL, I'll have a pint of what you are on. 

You don't think the insulting bit might actually be the sticking point and not the fact that he thought the game wasn't so great? I am fed up of the number of Uncle Tom RL fans willing to lap up any criticism as some sort of 'we're not worthy' garbage that is somehow our fault ('our' as in  us RL fans, to avoid confusion to some people). 

Edited by Johnoco, 28 August 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#149 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

are you joking? there are often links to and threads all about the negative coverage from RL journalists.

Obviously we read different articles!

Maybe Dave, I'm obviously not as well read as yourself and I hold my hands up to that. However, in our flagship publications all I read is non-committal, sit-on-the-fence rhetoric that adds little to any debate. In a minority sport such as ours, critical journalism from 'within' should be a major source of inspiration for positive progression. Sadly, our most prominent and most widely read writers seem scared that the slightest hint of criticism will result in their prawn sandwich allowance being withdrawn by the RFL.

Edited by TheTerminator, 28 August 2013 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

#150 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:05 AM

Maybe Dave, I'm obviously not as well read as yourself and I hold my hands up to that. However, in our flagship publications all I read is non-committal, sit-on-the-fence rhetoric that adds little to any debate. In a minority sport such as ours, critical journalism from 'within' should be a major source of inspiration for positive progression. Sadly, all we seem to have are writers who are scared that the slightest hint of criticism will result in their prawn sandwich allowance being withdrawn by the RFL.

I'll leave Martyn to challenge that one, but our journalists are often labelled the most miserable bunch of barstewards around, they never seem to have anything good to say about the game!

There has been so much negativity around the game in the last couple of years, I am really surprised you can have the above view of journos within the game.

#151 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

Brough Scott is an Oxford educated journalist who has worked for the Telegraph and Times amongst others, commentated extensively on TV on horse racing also dabbling in Tennis, RUgby Union and soccer.

Like Calvin he has won awards from his peers as recently as 2009. There is information on him on Wikipedia..

He is not a RL journalist but way back in the dark ages of 1994, he was told by the Sunday Times to cover the championship deciding fixture between Wigan and Northern at Central Park. Wigan Northern and Warrington were tied on 42 points at the top of the league with a couple of fixtures left to play so this was an important fixture.

At the risk of boring you all to death I will type his coverage of this match. To me this report is so completely opposite to the tone of the Calvin report on the Cup Final that it should be a template for responsible journalism whereby there is no negative, nasty digs thrown at the game as per Calvin , quite the opposite.

The Article is headlined  TO CENTRAL PARK TO SEE THE WIGAN STEAMROLLER and was in the  Sunday Times on 17thApri, 1994. It reads, in part, as follows-

At last a soft night in our shivering spring. But there was never going to be anything soft on this Wigan pitch. The boys from Bradford Northern were there. To say "crunch match" was to say everything.

It seemed as if the players were muttering to themselve as they filed through the empty, eerie, airlock silence between the bright lights and linament smell of the dressing rooms to the crowd cheering combat of the pitch.....

They came through under the ribs of the main stand.....Then came Wigan. Very silent too. Big men with bandaged hands and greased legs. A multi-cultured, multi- racial, multi-muscled team but a team as Lancashire as hot pot. And one that had to win to stay alive.

They had done all this before. Wasn't this the most successful British team in any disciplne? They have won the last four Rugby League championships. On April 30th they are at Wembley trying to win their seventh conscutive Challenge Cup final. But Bradford and Warrington are now level with them for this years championship.....

At Central Park on Friday, with just two more games to come, only victory woulkd be enough.

Wigan come past, some of the greatest names in their sport. Dean Bell, the Captain back after injury, a sort of cold-eyed Kiwi Bryan Robson. Kelvin Skerrett, the massive hardman with the designer stubble not designed for show. Martin Offiah, the peerless "Black Pearl". Phil Clarke, the thinking man;'s player with the leather helmeted head. Botica and Panapa, the mustachioed and cropped head lookalikes from down under. Tuigamala, yes, Inga the Winga still a new boy on duty.

As we ran across to the dug out, the central enigma of rugby league shouted at you from the touchline. On the field are millions of pounds worth of super trained international athletes. Under the unglamarous corrugated roofs of the stands are families, kids of all ages. Yet, despite al their teams success...... there is a cosy feeling of a home-town, not a national event.

Looking at the widce eyed faces of the boys and girls sat on the perimeter fence behind us was to conjure up a Spielberg image of soccer fans of yesteryear. No reason to think this "Wi-Gan, Wi-Gan" chanting lot were any less bandit minded than those who follow the round ball code. So how come the worst they do during the game is drum on trhe dugout top when Deryck Fox takes the opening penalty to put Bradford ahead?

How come that in the following 80 minutes of as intense physical battle as man and ball can muster, there was no free for all among the players, no bookings and, when penalties were awarded, no furious protests to the referee ? There were not too many saints wearing either red or blue. There were challenges and the odd sly knee and elbow which would have made the likes of Paul Ince and indeed Alex Ferguson fall right off their trolleys. The referee is " Sir". Clarke said afterwards. ' ......" We have our moments but it works out pretty well."

So too does the rest of it. At first the outsider gets a bit fed up with the five tackle rule which so often breaks the action up into one head on burst into the opposition followed by half a minute of comic interlude with the pinioned player thrashing away like a shark on the deck while the defending team desperately try to regroup to block the next attack.

But then you begin to look as these little leg thrashing cameos as blessed relief amid so much sprinting, end to end action. ......

At first Wigan are rocked back by the Bradford attacks of Newlove, Powell and Fairbank. There are some worried faces on the bench as well as in the crowd. Up from beside us the giant man-boy that is Andy Farrell peels off its tracksuit, gets its regulation greasing and roars on as a replacement. What would you pay for him at Twickenham ? ( ironic looking back isn';t it).

That is the question which keeps returning as Wigan turn on the power and the sort of rugby magic that under the Union code is only too often seen in clips of "try of the season". Forget the long-held prejudice and wonder at the try-hungry instinct that saw Shaun Edwards nail the bouncing ball after charging down a kick from the defence. Is there a finer scrum half under any banner?

(double irony). ......

Forget the present pariah like separation of league and union and wonder what the customers in the bext century would really like. Would they not want to see the ball bursting out of a Skerrett drive to Botica to Panapa and then to the incredible greyhound speed of Offiah to collect the first of three tries?

What is certain is that there would be some very serious testing of those the union code think of as their heros. Admittidly it was a dry night and victory for Wigan was absolutely crucial but what ws happening right in front of you was sometimes quite marvellous in both strength and quickness.......

For one player at least there were still tricks to be learnt.

Six months ago rugby lovers at Twickenham thrilled at the bulldozing power of Tuigamala, the ultimate All Black wing. Now here he was at Central Park, still raw and ball dropping at the edges ( maybe he had been on loan to Hull), but with a " take them with me" rhino-charging thrust that will win friends in any stadium. The ball came out towards him just in front of us. From Edwards, to Botica to Dean Bell, Offiah in the line too. Inga may have taken the money but look what he has joined ? How can union fans not want to watch.........End.

So here we have a non league journalist covering our game. He covers the players, the weather, the atmosphere, the spectators, even the stadium with nary a negative word. He even covers Northern parfochialism without needing th be insutling. He dosn't like five drives and messing around at the play the ball but eventually accepts it as a downtime interlude in the suoper fast passage of the game. He concentrates on the good without snide asides as perpetrated by Calvin.

Calvin should take a leaf from his book and concentrate on the positves and keep nasty sterotypical comments out of his reporting.

#152 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

I think the poster you quoted was being sarcastic.

In that case, I apologise for my ignorance. The chip on my shoulder was distracting my attention to detail.

#153 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:02 AM

So here we have a non league journalist covering our game. He covers the players, the weather, the atmosphere, the spectators, even the stadium with nary a negative word. He even covers Northern parfochialism without needing th be insutling. He dosn't like five drives and messing around at the play the ball but eventually accepts it as a downtime interlude in the suoper fast passage of the game. He concentrates on the good without snide asides as perpetrated by Calvin.

Calvin should take a leaf from his book and concentrate on the positves and keep nasty sterotypical comments out of his reporting.

Fair enough, but black pearl?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#154 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Fair enough, but black pearl?

Ellery Hanley

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#155 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Maybe he was a bit peeved because Nigel was in front of him at the buffet

#156 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

So its now chippy to be a bit peeved about being called a stereotypically fat, comedic looking imbecile? Blimey, chippy really is becoming a lazy term to use to allow people to defend anything.

#157 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Who do you think you are talking to? I resent that comment intensely. I am Northern but very literate and a homo sapiens far far removed from any apes.

Pedantry, but you are not "far removed from any apes".  You *are* an ape. 

Unless there's something you're not telling us...

That's me.  I'm done.

#158 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

No

But if there was only one national journo there and that was his copy it might imply that RL has room to improve in its media relations.

Even if we are to dignify Calvin with the title of 'journalist', he wasn't even the only one from the Independent who was at Wembley. Dave Hadfield wrote a proper match report in the same issue.

Somehow, he managed to describe what happened and failed utterly to include even one insult.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#159 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Pedantry, but you are not "far removed from any apes". You *are* an ape.

Unless there's something you're not telling us...

Not pedantic at all, if someone claims to be '

Far removed from any apes'

They are wrong.

#160 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Wasn't it the 2007 CC Final between Saints and Catalan where, unable to classify all the crowd as Northern, the reviewer called them 'suspiciously Caucasian'?
But let's not object eh?