Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who will be relegated from Superleague 2014

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

It's pretty much heavily tipped by most London will struggle to stay in SL.

Of the other 13 clubs who are all starting to sign players for 2014 in what Mr. Sadler predicts will be a desperate attempt to stay in Superleague that may involve overspending budgets.....

Who will end up being the one who faces the disaster of relegation and why?

Edited by The Parksider, 26 August 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Of the other 13 clubs who are all starting to sign players for 2014 in what Mr. Sadler predicts will be a desperate attempt to stay in Superleague that may involve overspending budgets.....

Is it going to be a straight relegation of the bottom four or will the names be picked from a hat by the usual suspects in the top level cabal.?

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37 PM

Ypu mentioned about clubs overspending -Perhaps a club will be relegated for breaking the salary cap?

Btw relegation is not a disaster if we have the proposed 2x12 and 3x8 system

#4 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

Ypu mentioned about clubs overspending -Perhaps a club will be relegated for breaking the salary cap?

Good point, will clubs not purposely break the salary cap to avoid the wooden spoon and the financial repercussions that would have, or will the RFL impose serious sanctions and strip all competition points from a team (IE Melbourne Storm, Barrow Raiders etc)

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#5 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Pretty easy to say who it will NOT be Parky...

It will not be Wigan, Leeds , Warrington, St Helens, Catalans , Hull KR, Huddersfield i.e the top six or seven of this year.., nor will it be Bradford (unless Omar chucks in the towel ,), Salford ( Dr Moneybags), or Hull FC ( Mr Adam Faulkner Pearson , Harrogate pretend "millionaire", front man for a computer whizz kid).

A straight fight between Widnes , Cas and Wakey......and the might of London ...which from what i am hearing, London (Mr Hughes had enough) and Wakey (a great club in every sense apart from financial) are likely to lose due to a removal of financial support...

Not sure anyone actually really cares anymore...i find it very ironic the happy clappers on here call all the nay sayers and doom merchants, in reality some of whom are very reasonable critics, yet they do not realise they are doing more damage with their blind and bland acceptance of the feeble version of the game they are watching and accepting as gospel...

There is a reason the men propping up the game with their OWN money are getting very fed up...once they have gone what have we got..????

Time for some realistic thinking instead of all the pie in the sky utopia ######...

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I'd like Wiggy and Stevo to be relegated.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

Think London are nailed on to take the drop. Squad isn't too much this season & expect it to be worse next year. Also think that Wakey could be the other team to go down too. Salford should be much better, Cas should improve under a full season with Powell. Widnes look at risk, as I'm not convinced that Widnes are improving year on year as some would say, but next season will be the acid test for Betts.

Don't see it as a disaster for who ever goes down. None of those clubs, apart from Salford can afford to be in Super League, so a drop down to SL2 might give them space to grow their club, and come back in better shape as Huddersfield did, after they had dragged along the bottom for a few seasons before getting relegated.

The new structure will provide those clubs a chance to get a taste of success without having to break the bank.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,301 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

Is it going to be a straight relegation of the bottom four or will the names be picked from a hat by the usual suspects in the top level cabal.?

Why would they relegate four?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Surely relegation is never a disaster, it's the lifeblood of sport, it puts the Great into Great Britain. It's what you used to say anyway. 

#10 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

London and Cas

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Any two of London, Cas, Wakey, Hull KR and Widnes

#12 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

It really depends on signings but at the moment I'd say London and Widnes.

#13 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

London for me are dead certs for 1 relegation spot. The other I think will depend very much on further recruitment between now and the start of next year. If Cas lose Chase then i'd have to say they must be in the biggest danger of the drop

#14 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

Why not Salford, just because Mr Koukash has turned up, and so far who he has signed have not exactly set SL alight, who is to say anyone else will?
Reports from Aus that SBW is heading to Barton are probably over-exagerated. So who else is he going to bust the Cap on? I think 2013-4 winter will be another period of self-publicity & zero rated signings before MK gets bored and Brian Noble joins the ranks of "Star Names" who have failed to produce a decent, trophy challenge down at Sale Community Stadium

For my Money, London (as set out above), & Salford.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Surely relegation is never a disaster, it's the lifeblood of sport, it puts the Great into Great Britain. It's what you used to say anyway.

Any P&R scenario is better than the guff we have now. However the level of hurt from relegation depends. If there is reasonable probability of bouncing back then it is not a disaster. For me relegation with one up/down is much more of a problem than 2, 3 or 4 up/down. With multiple spots you know there is a reasonable chance of going back up within a few years. With one up/down you know the chances are slim. In my view this limited the growth of NL1 and meant relegations were awful compared to back when we had multiple spots. I know because I've seen my club suffer all 4 relegation possibilities. I've also seen us try to get promoted in one up/diwn scenarios and finish off second best with nothing but bfh.

#16 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Why would they relegate four?

To let in Toulouse and the best CoOp club?

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,301 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

To let in Toulouse and the best CoOp club?

*points and laughs*

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Money talks
With a good backer behind them and a proven coach able to build a team Salford will compete next season IMO

Cas losing Chase will be a disaster for them unless they are clever & maybe lucky in recruitment

London have the playing squad to compete but miss something, unless they find that X factor they are in trouble

Widnes improved on last season, they need to do that again given the dog fight

Wakey are as ever blowing in the wind, a lot of people say they under performed this season, maybe they did but they need to fix the reasons for that if they want to be safe - they are safest out of this list for my money

Bradford are similar to Wakey I think, probably safe unless something goes badly wrong

The teams in the top 8 now will be safe
The teams in the top 6 will probably remain there for the foreseeable future IMO

#19 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Why not Salford, just because Mr Koukash has turned up, and so far who he has signed have not exactly set SL alight, who is to say anyone else will?
Reports from Aus that SBW is heading to Barton are probably over-exagerated. So who else is he going to bust the Cap on? I think 2013-4 winter will be another period of self-publicity & zero rated signings before MK gets bored and Brian Noble joins the ranks of "Star Names" who have failed to produce a decent, trophy challenge down at Sale Community Stadium

For my Money, London (as set out above), & Salford.

Thinking just doesn't get any more wishful than this. :rolleyes:

For me, London (unfortunately - a big step in the wrong direction for the sport to lose them) and Widnes (unfortunately again).

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

a return to the bad old days of shi't or bust rugby...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg