RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Burgess brothers set to rewrite history

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Loved Julie Burgess' celebration of Luke's try!

#22 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Loved the 4 hit ups at the end and then the tackle! Great advert for rl.

Indeed. Even the anti-RL media are going to struggle to defuse the appeal of the Burgess Bros. come World Cup time.

Conversely, even the RFL won't be able to **** up that golden media opportunity. Will they? 

#23 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Indeed. Even the anti-RL media are going to struggle to defuse the appeal of the Burgess Bros. come World Cup time.

Conversely, even the RFL won't be able to **** up that golden media opportunity. Will they? 

I actually agree with this. Having 4 Burgess brothers in the squad may be the best publicity the England RL team may get nationally. Sam and George are 'no-brainers' to be in there. Luke and Tom would have to stack up against Chris Hill, Morley etc.

Edited by Scubby, 30 August 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#24 7723

• Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Morley?? Tom and Luke are head and shoulders above Morley.

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Morley?? Tom and Luke are head and shoulders above Morley.

I think that too. However, Morley keeps getting in the squad and Tom and Luke have not been selected before. That is what I was saying.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

thomas-burgess-george-burgess-julie-burg

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

I actually agree with this. Having 4 Burgess brothers in the squad may be the best publicity the England RL team may get nationally. Sam and George are 'no-brainers' to be in there. Luke and Tom would have to stack up against Chris Hill, Morley etc.

Plus Julie Burgess is PR gold. This is a story that can chime with people outside of the sport and really get folk interested.

#28 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Couldn't agree more with all comments about great PR for the rugby league world cup, should be great for the print media, radio and the TV. It needs to be milked for all it's worth only problem is that 2 of the brothers Sam and George are nailed on, not so sure about Luke and George and where does that leave players like Crabtree, hock, Westwood, hill etc.

#29 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Jonathan Liew has more background in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph...sts-Tigers.html

I am starting to warm to Jonathan Liew, when he writes about Rugby League, he is generally fair and I think he will cover a number of the World Cup games for the Telegraph.

I agree.

He does some mickey taking pieces for the Final Whistle column in the Torygraph and these included one sending up aspects of Sky's coverage of RL; mind you, lots on here would have agreed with the content. He's wrote a good article on the Grand Final IIIRC.

#30 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I was going to say the Swanns, but I think one of the three was a cousin, not a brother.

Of course, there was the Keinhorsts for Germany v Serbia.

Andy, Neil & Richard Kelly all played in a game together when Dewsbury played Wakefield a few years back.

Great to see the Fourtress of Burgess playing today, there was a set when the sequence of drives from a kick off went: Tom-Sam-Luke-George-Tom and then all four of them made a tackle on some poor Wests player.

Great for the game!

#31 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Couldn't agree more with all comments about great PR for the rugby league world cup, should be great for the print media, radio and the TV. It needs to be milked for all it's worth only problem is that 2 of the brothers Sam and George are nailed on, not so sure about Luke and George and where does that leave players like Crabtree, hock, Westwood, hill etc.

Given the 23 man squad is going to consist of 6 props, 5 backrowers, 2 hookers and 10 backs I think there is room, and they will be there on merit. S. Burgess will prob not be classed as a prop.

WC Props

G. Burgess
T. Burgess
L. Burgess
J. Graham
E. Crabtree
L. Mossop

With Sam as cover would be a great forward line up and I can't think of anyone who would be an automatic selection ahead of these boys. This leaves Sam, Ellis, westwood, O'Loughlin and ANOther as the back row.

#32 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

thomas-burgess-george-burgess-julie-burg

What a great picture! :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#33 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Given the 23 man squad is going to consist of 6 props, 5 backrowers, 2 hookers and 10 backs I think there is room, and they will be there on merit. S. Burgess will prob not be classed as a prop.

WC Props

G. Burgess
T. Burgess
L. Burgess
J. Graham
E. Crabtree
L. Mossop

With Sam as cover would be a great forward line up and I can't think of anyone who would be an automatic selection ahead of these boys. This leaves Sam, Ellis, westwood, O'Loughlin and ANOther as the back row.

I wouldn't be too upset if we picked that pack.  Roby and Houghton at hooker and I'd be happy, very happy...!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

WC Props

G. Burgess
T. Burgess
L. Burgess
J. Graham
E. Crabtree
L. Mossop

Common sense selections there, although I still don't think Gareth Ellis has earned his selection yet. The final backrow place would realistically be between Hock, Kirmond, Heighington, Farrell, Ferres.

I'd go Hock for the opener as an impact sub. If he blows it then just drop him from the side for the rest of the tournament. I'd then bring in Kirmond instead who fully deserves selection.

#35 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Just seen the premier sports clip from the Tigers game, with all four Burgess boys on the pitch.. absolutely fantastic to watch. You could feel the pride the four of them had when they wound up for the 'Burgess' set.. if you got all four on the pitch in an England Jersey they'd run through brick walls.

For the PR opportunity alone all four have to be in the England squad, even if Tom and Luke end up being purely squad members, but even if they were in i don't think the'yd let anyone down.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#36 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

WC Props
G. Burgess
T. Burgess
L. Burgess
J. Graham
E. Crabtree
L. Mossop

Throw in Gareth hock for the last forward place and maybe choose Ellis or Farrell depending on form and that's a pretty awesome squad of forwards. Roby(lunt if not fully fit)and Houghton as the number 9's also.

#37 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

nice story- unfortuanatley this is the age of the  interchange so no history has been made , also sam hasn't done the business against the aussies or kiwis in ages cos he always gets injured and the other 3 wont get baby sat by the nrl in the wc so don't bother.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

A very good bit on Channel 5 news just now with nothing but positivity on this :)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#39 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

nice story- unfortuanatley this is the age of the  interchange so no history has been made , also sam hasn't done the business against the aussies or kiwis in ages cos he always gets injured and the other 3 wont get baby sat by the nrl in the wc so don't bother.

All 4 were on the pitch for the last few minutes for the Bunnies today. So history was made. Sam has scored 3 tries in his last 2 games against the Aussies. It's a no-brainer to have him in there. George Burgess is right at the top of the NRL stats. He has 6 tries himself this year. HTH

#40 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

England should pick 6 props in the WC squad

James Graham

Chris Hill

Eorl Crabtree

George B

Tom B

Luke B or Alex Walmsley