Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Getting the crowds back!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

There shouldn't be negativity but if the club want to progress they must retain existing revenue and grow additional revenue that's hue businesses increase success regardless of the industry.

Also saying the crowds would double based on better results actually supports what I said.

#42 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Grow additional revenue? How as I stated with new ideas etc etc
Up the town

#43 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

There shouldn't be negativity but if the club want to progress they must retain existing revenue and grow additional revenue that's hue businesses increase success regardless of the industry.

You make it sound so easy yet in reality there is very little money in RL, and even less chance of bringing extra revenue in.

#44 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

So don't sacrifice what you already have then or you'll be even worse off if it doesn't work.

New ideas to generate new revenue - great, ideas to sacrifice some almost guaranteed revenue - financial suicide.

Speculate to accumulate doesn't necessarily work in this business model as there are outside factors which dictate the success of the business i.e. a winning team on the field.

#45 bs77

bs77
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

There are often a few hundred people watching the amateur games every saturday. As far as i know there has definatly been no promotion for town games there. Why not get people down to the grass roots of the game where people are watching and crowds are good and promote the game.  The new Cumbria league this year has been closest for a while and people who love RL turn up.. This is where the club should aim to attract supporters new and old.

#46 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I agree with what you are saying Brett but don't forget that most of them watching the local amateur games only have to put a donation in a box to watch. How many of them would pay £14 or £15 to go and watch Town?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#47 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

I agree with what you are saying Brett but don't forget that most of them watching the local amateur games only have to put a donation in a box to watch. How many of them would pay £14 or £15 to go and watch Town?

I was thinking the same thing K.T, a lot of the amateur r.l watchers watch amateur r.l for that reason.

its always hard to entice people back to support Town,and it only takes one bad result for them to plan their Sundays well away from D.P.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#48 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

It's worth a try but I would imagine that most people go to watch amateur because its cheaper and if they're price sensitive to such a degree they still won't come. The odd few might which over a season equates to nice chunk of revenue.

#49 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

i think we need to push on next season and try to attract some youngstersdown to D.P. we saw how many youngsters came to the mini olympics ,if only we could get a fraction of those back through the gates,cut price deals for kids,or even a free entry to some games.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#50 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I read on the T&S website before one of the games this season the town council offered 100 FREE places in the local secondary schools and only 25 kids took it up so if they won't come for free how do you get them there?

#51 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

well i didnt know that G.T.,that is a worry.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#52 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

but i feel its something we need to persist with.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#53 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

I agree. the kids are the future of the club but the RFL push super league so much (which is also more visible on TV) they naturally gravitate towards that.

#54 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

TV has a lot to answer for I'm afraid. You see around west Cumbria more people with premiership soccer clubs shirts and Super League clubs shirts than you do Town or Haven shirts and that's both parents and kids. I would guess there is nearly as many, if not more, people travel every weekend to Manchester or Liverpool for soccer, and Wigan, Leeds or Warrington, etc, for Super League than attend whichever or the two clubs are at home.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users