Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stokes this week

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

01 Sep KO:15:00 ChampionshipRd: 26
York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs
Huntington Stadium
Ref: G Stokes
Touch J: A Fazackerley
Touch J: T Grant
Reserve: P Parker
M Com: M Charlton

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013 Relegated  2014"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#2 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Great, after playing well for past 3 games, we get this idiot ref, not only does he not no the rules he's totaly incompitent aswel, and spoils any game he does take control of.

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Great, after playing well for past 3 games, we get this idiot ref, not only does he not no the rules he's totaly incompitent aswel, and spoils any game he does take control of.

Which referee would you prefer, pray tell? As for your criticism, I can't really recall any particularly bad performances from him? On second thoughts, maybe there were a few around two-three years ago, when he began refereeing professional games barely out of his teens.

Posted Image

#4 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

so long as he lets the game flow i aint too fussed about refs,sometimes we shout for things but when you see hes letting things go both ways to keep the game going its aint that bad.am sure the dogs will put on a great game for us and i reckon even if we get a few bad calls its going to be a cracker, dogs 48 york 22, mom a flying johnson.crowd 620. beer nice and cold. forget the ref.

#5 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

Any one except him, hes worst ref by far in championship, never lets game flow, too whistle happy, his averidge penalty county is between 25 & 30,so dont know which games youchave been watching, his aveidge mark assesment out of 10 is is 4 so that tell u what.

#6 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Any one except him, hes worst ref by far in championship, never lets game flow, too whistle happy, his averidge penalty county is between 25 & 30,so dont know which games youchave been watching, his aveidge mark assesment out of 10 is is 4 so that tell u what.

i try and watch the game and players to be fair. but who marks him 4 outa 10. half a time refs dont just blow for sake of it and if you watch game again when you get home many times we have got off lightly. only miss the odd away game and have done for over 30 years, i know there is some bad calls now and then but slating a ref before we even play aint cricket.enjoy the game first.

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

I don't feel that there are any particularly poor referees around these days. Admittedly, they make the odd error here and there, but 99.9% of any influence over a result lies with the players and the players alone. Either way, I've never noticed Mr Stokes be overly trigger-happy with the whistle, and he's certainly improved tenfold since he started out. As for any poor ratings dished out by journalists in the League Weekly - most of them don't know their arris from their ear, which is reflected by the often baffling performance 'scores' they give to individual players. 'Experts' some of them certainly are not.

Edited by TheTerminator, 28 August 2013 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

#8 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

i try and watch the game and players to be fair. but who marks him 4 outa 10. half a time refs dont just blow for sake of it and if you watch game again when you get home many times we have got off lightly. only miss the odd away game and have done for over 30 years, i know there is some bad calls now and then but slating a ref before we even play aint cricket.enjoy the game first.

each club has to assess the ref plus the match commissioner.... but where steveb would be privy to these marks is another question. and i'm sure if his average was only 4 out of 10 then he would have been dropped into championship 1 or conference whilst he gained more experience.. as for inept refs yes there are some but you will find they are inept to both sides, but as a fan you only see the decisions that go against you and not notice the ones you get away with.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#9 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

As silver back says as long as the ref lets the game flow thats good, as my self have been following the game for over 30yrs and played for for over 15, i don't just see the whistle blown against us as i don' t just watch batley games, we follow and watch many other teams,i.e if its on premier sport or if we don't have a game, theres always one on localy, i.e if its championship or superleague, and i do get rugby league to keep up to date on other clubs, and those stats are wrote by the same people that write the match reports.

#10 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

If george gets injured like the other week , you will have spider as ref as he is down as reserve ref and he did midlands premier grand final 2 weeks ago and gave 3 reds and 2 yellows did very well in controlling an ill tempered game

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#11 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yeh i heard he came off injured after some kind of fall, wouldn't want any harm or injury's to any one connected to our fantastic game, so i do hope he's ok..

#12 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Are you confusing Stokes and Ronnie Laughton.Both ginger and useless but I would say Ronnie was the worst of the two.

Won't have any bearing on the result cos they are totally honest and unbiased.Who would want to be a ref these days!!!

#13 Kiddzyy69

Kiddzyy69
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

42-10 to batley,their not the best team at the moment but from what I've heard about our last to games it should hopefully be convincing plus their playing today so they could be warn out

#14 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

I whole heartedly disagree with you. When he started he was shocking, games basically became love-in's due to the amount of time he let both sides hold down. However, on his last 4 or 5 games reffing the Dogs, he is far and away the best ref in the championship bar none. 

If you want examples of bad refereeing, I give you Leatherbarrow, Laughton and Merrick. It speaks volumes to me that Alibert, who is widely regarded as the most incompetent referee in the game, was a massive improvement over the those 3 previously mentioned.

#15 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

We will definatley agree to disagree on that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users