Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/8-01/9/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Discuss all this week's Kingstone Press Championship games here.

WEDNESDAY 28 AUGUST
Doncaster v York City Knights    19:30
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles    19:30 (Premier Sports)

SUNDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
Barrow Raiders v Keighley Cougars    15:00
Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles    15:00
Halifax v Workington Town    15:00
Hunslet Hawks v Featherstone Rovers    15:00
Leigh Centurions v Dewsbury Rams    15:00
Whitehaven v Swinton Lions    15:00
York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

PREVIEWS

Wednesday August 28

Doncaster v York City Knights (7.30pm)

Doncaster hooker Kyle Kesik looks certain to miss Wednesday’s Kingstone Press Championship clash with York after breaking his nose.
Doncaster lost their last match 24-10 against Dewsbury, prompting coach Tony Miller to admit his side needs to make major improvements in the final week of the regular season.
Miller said: “Unless we dramatically improve we won’t make an impact on the play-offs.
“We need to hit a bit of form and take confidence into the play-offs.”
Under-pressure York travel without James Ford, but Jack Aldous and Kris Brining could return to Gary Thornton’s side.
Defeat for the Knights would confirm their relegation to Kingstone Press Championship One.
Thornton said: “It’s becoming pretty desperate for us now, there’s no doubting that.
“If we lose, then the trip to Batley (on Sunday) will be totally irrelevant.”

Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles (7.30pm, Premier Sports)

Rovers’ football manager Sean Long says Featherstone will aim for a “perfect” display when they face Sheffield on Wednesday.
The top of the table showdown sees Featherstone needing to win by more than 12 points if they are to leapfrog Eagles ahead of the last game of the regular season.
Long said:  “Our pack is going well and our defence is going well. We’ve just got to keep improving and keep striving for the perfect performance.
“Everyone’s talking about this game. It’s going to be a massive game. We’ve got to beat them by 13 points and it’s a feat in itself just to beat them because they’re a top side.
“Hopefully we can put in a good performance like we did against Whitehaven.”
Colton Roche and Joe Hirst could both come into contention for Sheffield, who have a slight doubt over Mitch Stringer (back).
Eagles coach Mark Aston said: “It would take the gloss off a great season if we don’t go to Featherstone, win and take the league leader’s shield.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thornton said: “If we lose, then the trip to Batley (on Sunday) will be totally irrelevant.”

Wow, doesn't even know we're playing at home >.>

It's time to park the camels.

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Wow, doesn't even know we're playing at home >.>

Don't tell him then.

COME ON THE LIONS!!!!!!!!!
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Good game on Premier Sports Fev v Sheffield. Good atmosphere too.

#6 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Good game on Premier Sports Fev v Sheffield. Good atmosphere too.

Agree. Great game so far.12 - 12 at HT

#7 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

brill tension

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#8 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

What a game and what a finish...in fact all 80 mins was great to watch

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#9 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Sour grapes from Aston moaning about decisions

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Chuff me, I'm a sodding nervous wreck.

Amazing game, only wish I could have been there.  Big Thanks to Premier Sports streaming service, best get on with my holiday now.

#11 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Sour grapes from Aston moaning about decisions

Yes and no. The ones he highlighted were correct decisions by the officials, but there were a couple of others at key times - i.e not giving a pen when Bostock came steaming in and smacked Knowles (you scored shortly after), not giving a high shot against a Fev player then penalising us for a softer one a few minutes later (you scored on the back of that set) etc - that went against us. The biggest "game changing moment" was early in the second period when we fluffed that golden chance to score after QLT's break. With that we'd have been 12 points up and I'm not convinced Fev would have been able to deny us a bonus point from that position, given that the outlook and feel of the game/momentum etc would have been different. Can't blame anyone else for that - it was just rubbish from Talapapa.

That said, Fev were worthy winners tonight and clearly the better side over the 80 minutes. I thought we deserved a bonus point, and over the course of the season we deserve to be top given the fact that we've won more matches and have been the best team in the league week in, week out. Still, we're not as that's not how the system works, and it looks likely we won't get the League Leaders shield as a result. As a Sheffield fan that sticks in the craw a bit, but I won't care if we go on to reach the Grand Final and win the competition. Last year we weren't the best team over the course of the season but still became champions… and deservedly so, as we played better in the one match that mattered.

Superb advertisement for the Championship, though. Easily one of the most intense, exciting and incident-packed games I've seen this year, in any division. I'd also say it was better than quite a few SL games I've seen this year.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#12 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well played Sheffield and Featherstone.  What a great game to watch as a neutral; it had everything and boy, was it exciting right up to the final hooter.

#13 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

Dons 38 v York 20, the visitors are relegated .

#14 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Dons 38 v York 20, the visitors are relegated .

Bad luck York, but that's sport.  I hope they bounce back quickly.

#15 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

Some massive games for the clubs at the bottom this week,who is going to occupy that 2nd relegation spot?

#16 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Some massive games for the clubs at the bottom this week,who is going to occupy that 2nd relegation spot?

Hunslet

#17 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

PREVIEWS

Sunday September 1

Barrow Raiders v Keighley Cougars (3.00pm)

Barrow Riders pair Dan Toal and Mike Whitehead are both on red alert as possible replacements for captain Liam Harrison.
The Raiders captain is battling to overcome a calf injury, with Toal and Whitehead two of the leading contenders to take his place for Sunday’s relegation battle with Keighley Cougars.
Barrow are currently 13th, level on points with Hunslet Hawks and just two points behind 10thplaced Keighley.
Raiders, Keighley, Hunslet or Swinton could be relegated along to Kingstone Press Championship One.
Cougars coach Paul March will check on Olly Pursglove (nose), but otherwise has no new injury concerns.
March said: “We’ll go to Barrow and know that it’s all in our hands. We’ll prepare well, work hard and hopefully give the travelling fans something to shout about.
“When pressure comes you’ve just got to stay calm and do your job. We’re looking forward to it.”

Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles (3.00pm)

Doncaster coach Tony Miller is aiming for a second win in four days ahead of the start of the Kingstone Press Championship play-offs.
Miller’s side beat York City Knights 38-20 on Wednesday to confirm their place in the top eight.
And Miller will check his squad’s fitness over the next 48 hours ahead of a mouthwatering South Yorkshire derby.
Sheffield Eagles will be determined to maintain the pressure on Featherstone Rovers by securing three points at the Keepmoat Stadium.
Sheffield’s 40-24 midweek defeat against Rovers means they no longer top the table.
But Eagles coach Mark Aston has still targeting Grand Final glory. He said: “After Doncaster we’ll focus in on the play-offs. We like to be on the big stage.
“The Grand Final experience last year was sensational and the boys have set themselves the challenge of doing it again.”

Halifax v Workington Town (3.00pm)

Halifax coach Karl Harrison will check on Adam Robinson (calf) before finalising his squad for the last regular game of the Kingstone Press Championship campaign.
Halifax are guaranteed a top four finish, and victory on Sunday would ensure they finish in the top three following last week’s 34-4 win at Keighley.
Harrison said: “We were exceptional in the first half against Keighley. Defensively we were very, very strong and we were fluent with the ball.
“We work extremely hard defensively. To win the Grand Final or go a long way in the play-offs you need to be strong defensively.
“If we go from now until the end of the season conceding one try a game, we’ve a good chance of winning it.”
Workington coach Gary Charlton will check on a number of players after a gruelling schedule that saw Town play seven games in 25 days.

Hunslet Hawks v Featherstone Rovers (3.00pm)

Luke Haigh (shoulder) is Hunslet Hawks’ only injury concern as they prepare for a nervous last day of the Kingstone Press Championship season.
Hawks coach Barry Eaton said: “It’s going to be a tense day all round, both for clubs that are up at the top of the table, and the five that are down at the bottom.
“We’re just going to go out there and give it our all.
“There are loads of different permutations, but if we win then we’re guaranteed to stay up. That’s how we’ve got to approach the game. We’re just going to totally concentrate on ourselves.”
Eaton is hopeful Haigh will be passed fit, while buoyant Featherstone Rovers will be determined to hang on to top spot after Will Sharp’s last-minute try on Wednesday moved them above Sheffield Eagles.
Rovers won 40-24 against Mark Aston’s side and victory on Sunday would ensure they claim the League Leaders’ Shield ahead of the start of the play-offs.
Kyle Briggs and Sam Smeaton are both out for the rest of Rovers’ campaign, while Ben Kaye (hand) is also expected to miss Sunday’s match.

Leigh Centurions v Dewsbury Rams (3.00pm)

Tom Spencer is unavailable for Leigh, but Centurions coach Paul Rowley has no further injury concerns ahead of Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship clash with Dewsbury Rams.
Rowley said: “Our aim is to get a result and finish fourth. I don’t care how we get there, but we are fully focused on finishing fourth.
“Last week against Batley we worked hard and were very brave, but I don’t think we were particularly good. We executed poorly and we need to improve against Dewsbury.”
Josh Tonks (calf) is missing for Dewsbury as Rams coach Glenn Morrison faces an injury headache. Morrison said: “We’ve got other boys busted as well. We’re not sure what our squad is going to be just yet.”
Morrison added: “Our win against Doncaster was massive, but we don’t want to think that was our biggest game of the year and then forget about it.
“We want to keep that momentum going into the play-offs.”

Whitehaven v Swinton Lions (3.00pm)

Whitehaven coach Dave Woods has challenged his squad to finish the year on a high – as a thank you to the club’s loyal supporters.
Woods’ men are now almost certain to miss the play-offs after a recent collapse in form.
But the Australian coach is determined to go out on a high. He said: “It’s very important we finish the year on a win.
“This week is about doing it for the fans and saying thanks for their support over the year.”
He added: “We’ve blown it ourselves, but for us to finish ninth is a great season. For us to make semi-finals would have been an absolutely outstanding.
“When you look at the bigger picture, see it’s our first year back up and see the salary cap we’re using compared to others, it’s been a good year for us.”
Woods is reporting a fully fit squad, while Ritchie Hawkyard returns for the Lions as they battle against the drop.
Swinton coach Gary Chambers must secure a win against his hometown team in order to guarantee the Lions’ place in the Kingstone Press Championship next season.
Chambers said: “I’m passionate about where I’m from and I’m proud of where I’m from, but for this 80 minutes we’ve got to try to turn them over.
“They’re well coached, they’ve got good players, and they could turn their form around at any time.”

York City Knights v Batley Bulldogs (3.00pm)

Relegated York City Knights will aim to bow out of the Kingstone Press Championship with a final victory when they host Batley Bulldogs on Sunday.
The Knights’ midweek defeat to Doncaster ensured they will drop a division at the end of the season.
Coach Gary Thornton said: “We can’t feel sorry for ourselves. We are where we are.
“We’ve been competitive a lot of time, but we haven’t been able to turn narrow defeats into wins.”
Johnny Campbell and Byron Smith both look set to be available for Batley after overcoming recent injury concerns.
But coach John Kear insists he will not play anybody who is not 100 per cent fit.
Kear said: “If there are any doubts, we won’t risk them – we’ve got the play-offs coming up and we want to be right for those.”
He added: “We played really well against Leigh last week, and it’s now a matter of backing that up.
“We’ve won three of our last four, so we’re certainly not stuttering. We’re in good form.
“While July was a poor month for us, August was a very good month for us.”
On York, he added: “They played on Wednesday so it’s difficult to say how they’ll rock up, but all we can do is prepare the best we can and be ready to play come Sunday.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#18 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just cannot see Fev getting turned over at Huns so Keighley should be safe .

#19 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Barrow 24-14 keighley.

Barrow stay up with hunslet relegated.

Get in!

#20 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Just had a top couple of hrs following barrow and the NW Crusaders on twitter with some real tense moments throughout both games.
Big congratulations go out to both clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users