Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/8-01/9/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Fev win league for fourth year on trot. Amazing feat.

#22 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Fev win league for fourth year on trot. Amazing feat.

This year though I believe they've done it on bonus points?

If so, I think that's an indictment of the bonus point system.  Only the team which wins the most games should win the LLS IMO.

#23 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

If so, I think that's an indictment of the bonus point system.  Only the team which wins the most games should win the LLS IMO.

Rubbish.All teams play to the same rules

#24 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Rubbish.All teams play to the same rules

Eh?  I didn't say they didn't!  Well, they don't play to those rules in Superleague.  But within the Championships they do and I didn't say otherwise.

What I did say, however, was that it is an indictment on the SYSTEM that a team can win the league without actually winning the most games.  In my opinion, such as it is, and as in fact I said earlier, the team who wins the most games should win the league.  I really don't see what is controversial about that?

#25 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Regardless of people's opinion on the bonus point system (personally I don't like it) all teams in the championship play to the same rules and its still an amazing achievement by Fev to top the league four years running.

#26 Bluetail

Bluetail
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Both Featherstone and Sheffield won 22 games and lost 4. Take away the bonus points and Rovers would still have won the league due to a superior points difference

#27 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Eh?  I didn't say they didn't!  Well, they don't play to those rules in Superleague.  But within the Championships they do and I didn't say otherwise.

What I did say, however, was that it is an indictment on the SYSTEM that a team can win the league without actually winning the most games.  In my opinion, such as it is, and as in fact I said earlier, the team who wins the most games should win the league.  I really don't see what is controversial about that?

As it happens, they did win the most games, or at least equal number to Sheffield. As Fev had by far the better points difference of the two, they would have finished top without the bonus point system anyway.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#28 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

We won the same number of games as the seaguls, we'd have been top regardless.  Massively superior points difference.

#29 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Both Featherstone and Sheffield won 22 games and lost 4. Take away the bonus points and Rovers would still have won the league due to a superior points difference

Exactly. If Sheffield had won today then the "bonus point system is ######" thing would be more relevant, but we lost so it was irrelevant.

Congratulations to Fev on winning the LEAGUE LEADERS SHIELD. Not the League. The Champions of the Championship are crowned at the Grand Final. Given the form they're in you'd back Fev to win that, too, but Fax, Sheffield, Leigh and others will also think they're in with a good shout.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#30 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Its been a real roller coaster for us Keighley fans.

Sometimes we look like we could beat any one. Others we have been ######. Today we looked clueless at times. Far to many average players who need to be released.

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

As it happens, they did win the most games, or at least equal number to Sheffield. As Fev had by far the better points difference of the two, they would have finished top without the bonus point system anyway.

That's fine.  I hadn't seen the points difference.

#32 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

Bonus points are all in the system & rules, if Sheffield don't like it Bug Off.

Well done Swinton Lions, Great win when needed at Whitehaven, sorry to those who suffered the drop.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#33 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Eh? I didn't say they didn't! Well, they don't play to those rules in Superleague. But within the Championships they do and I didn't say otherwise.

What I did say, however, was that it is an indictment on the SYSTEM that a team can win the league without actually winning the most games. In my opinion, such as it is, and as in fact I said earlier, the team who wins the most games should win the league. I really don't see what is controversial about that?

What system would you use to gaurantee the team who wins the most games wins the league. As it isn't a certainty under the 2 points for a win 1 for a draw system either.

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

Just cannot see Fev getting turned over at Huns so Keighley should be safe .

The result at Barrow was a win win. Barrow get the three points they needed to survive. Keighley get the bonus point they needed and the attendance was above 1300. Just shows that relegation battles can boost gates. If there had been nothing at stake and this was just a fixture between two teams with nothing to play for at the wrong end of the table, I doubt that the attendance would have been more than 700.

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Congratulations also to Doncaster for finishing 6th. This is a very creditable follow up to their first ever trophy winning season last year.

I hope it was achieved without too many SL players from Wakefield being part of it as this would tarnish the achievement somewhat.

#36 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:17 AM

None of the above posts really matter, the only thing of note is that Barrow RLFC are staying up, that is all, Goodnight :)

#37 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Glad for Barrow . A club that are battling to sort out the problems of the Des era and having suffered other setbacks like the illness of Darren Holt etc. The club also decided to not use Dual Regs and have really done very well to stay up. They bring a decent following to many away games. Hunslet go down-quite right in my opinion as they are a joke of a club in my eyes and dont belong in the Championship and are just basically a Leeds Rhinos Feeder team. The Championship 1 is their level. Great to see North Wales promoted and hope they can improving on and off the field. Would be great for Oldham to finally get promotrd but not sure on the ground

#38 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Glad for Barrow . A club that are battling to sort out the problems of the Des era and having suffered other setbacks like the illness of Darren Holt etc. The club also decided to not use Dual Regs and have really done very well to stay up. They bring a decent following to many away games. Hunslet go down-quite right in my opinion as they are a joke of a club in my eyes and dont belong in the Championship and are just basically a Leeds Rhinos Feeder team. The Championship 1 is their level. Great to see North Wales promoted and hope they can improving on and off the field. Would be great for Oldham to finally get promotrd but not sure on the ground

What are your views on York? :ph34r:

It's time to park the camels.

#39 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I dont have a problem with York or anybody using the Dual Reg. But I feel Hunslet and Swinton abused the system. Hunslet seem to be only alive thanks to Leeds Rhinos. I would rather see North Wales or Barrow in ahead of Hunslet. York seem to be atleast a bit more independant and not so relaint on Hull FC

#40 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Exactly, and if you look at the CC league table, the bonus points system did not affect the outcome of any position, it just led to a lot more entertaining nail-biting finishes, Fev v Sheffield last week being a prime example. With no bonus point, Fev would have just stuck the ball up the jumper and played out the last set, instead they went for a try to deny Sheffield a bonus point and it led to a thrilling finale even for a neutral like me.. BP has little impact on the league table, but a big impact on individual matches.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 02 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users