Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/09/13 - The Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Discuss all this week's Kingstone Press Championship 1 games here.

SUNDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
North Wales Crusaders v South Wales Scorpions    14:30
Gateshead Thunder v Hemel Stags    15:00
Oxford v London Skolars    15:00
Rochdale Hornets v Gloucestershire All Golds    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

One last game.... lets hope we can get at least one point. Crusaders v Scorpions should be a cracker, hoping for a bumper crowd of over 1000 again this week.  Ticket prices have been reduced to £10 for adults (advanced price only).

Thunder could beat Hemel at home; they have been steadily improving

London will want to beat Oxford to have home advantage in the play-offs

Similarly for Rochdale they will want a win to secure a decent play-off place.

#3 Nomad XIII

Nomad XIII
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'll go for: N Wales by 30, Gaeshead by 6, London Skolars by 16, Rochdale by 30.

I think this will leave the final table looking like:

N Wales

----------------

Oldham

London S

Rochdale

Hemel

Oxford

----------------

Gateshead

S Wales

Gloucs

So Skolars v Rochdale and Hemel v Oxford in week 1 of the playoffs. With a bit of luck one might even end up on Saturday for some reason, then I can go to both.

#4 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I fancy Thunder to beat us this weekend. Fifth place is sewn up now - can't finish higher or lower - and it's a long old poke, so I wonder if our players may have their foot slightly off the gas. And, of course, Thunder have been showing some improvements of late.

#5 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I fancy Thunder to beat us this weekend. Fifth place is sewn up now - can't finish higher or lower - and it's a long old poke, so I wonder if our players may have their foot slightly off the gas. And, of course, Thunder have been showing some improvements of late.

As you say position can,t move but we would like to finish with a win, won't be easy up there but the lads are up for it.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#6 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Crusaders by 24
Thunder by 4
Skolars by 18
Glaws by 2 (sneaking feeling)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#7 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Party time at the Racecourse - big wins for Crusaders and Rochdale. Hemel and Oxford will get bonus point defeats. Looking forward to getting to a few games in the play offs.

#8 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hope we win again sunday v hemel...we could end up missing out on 6th place and playoff spot by just 1 point...weve improved alot this season been great to win games and compete alot more..hopefully win sunday.finish 7th then get new coach in for next season as kev nieghbour is leaving and i think next season top 5 would be possible...lets finish with a win sunday...come on thunder! Come on thunder!!

Edited by ThunderArmy, 28 August 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#9 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

PREVIEWS

Sunday September 1

North Wales Crusaders v South Wales Scorpions (2.30pm)

Adam Scott is North Wales Crusaders’ only injury absentee as they search for the point that would crown them Kingstone Press Championship One champions.
North Wales will earn automatic promotion to the Kingstone Press Championship providing they avoid defeat by more than 12 points against South Wales Scorpions.
Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths said: “It’s an exciting week, isn’t it?
“But funny things happen in sport, so I’m not taking anything for granted. South Wales are going to be determined to beat us.”
He added: “We’ve got to think positively and get our attack right. Defensively we’ve been good all year.
“For sheer doggedness and never letting rugby league die in north Wales, and for the players and what they’ve done this year, I hope everyone gets their reward on Sunday.”
David James returns for the Scorpions as coach Dave Clark insists his side are up for Sunday’s challenge.
Clark said: “The spirit and hunger is still there. We may not have had the results recently, but our season isn’t over yet.”

Gateshead Thunder v Hemel Stags (3.00pm)

Gateshead Thunder coach Kevin Neighbour has urged his squad to go out with a bang as they prepare for their final game of 2013.
Thunder have shown real improvement in the last three months and Neighbour, who will leave the club after Sunday’s game, is desperate to finish with a win.
He said: “It’s been a year of change and progress, and the lads spoke on Tuesday about rounding the year off well.
“After putting together a string of performances and really developing some belief over the last 10 weeks, that’s how they want to finish.”
On Hemel Stags, Neighbour added: “They’ve done very well in their first year. Quite a large part of their team has been together for a few years and that’s really worked in their favour.
“You want a core of lads that will take you forward and I’m sure they’ll get better next year.”
Chad Sharp remains sidelined for the Stags, who are also missing Eddie Mbaraga (knee).
Hemel coach Troy Perkins said: “We’ve had a couple of disappointing performances in our last couple of games.
“We’ve got to get back to winning ways and put in a really solid performance heading into the play-offs.”

Oxford v London Skolars (3.00pm)

Oxford coach Tony Benson will give late fitness tests to Michael Crabtree and Glenn Osborn, who are both struggling with shoulder problems.
Oxford are in sixth place, two points ahead of South Wales Scorpions going into Sunday’s fixtures.
Benson said: “Getitng a good performance is the task at hand more than anything.
“We’ve got to build some momentum, and if we can get a point or three then that would be even better.”
He added: “I watched London last week and they were very impressive against North Wales. We know their quality and what we’re up against.”
Skolars coach Joe Mbu has a fully fit squad to pick from as his side aims to secure a third-placed finish in the regular season.
Mbu said: “I was pleased with how the players performed against Crusaders.
“At this stage of the year it’s about keeping a calm head, and there hasn’t been a sense of panic when things haven’t gone for us recently. That shows the lads have matured, and hopefully they’ll keep on maturing over the coming weeks.”

Rochdale Hornets v Gloucestershire All Golds (3.00pm)

Rochdale Hornets player Ruairi McGoff is away with Canada on international duty, while Wayne English, Gareth Langley, Dave Hull and Chris Hough all face fitness tests.
Hornets coach Ian Talbot said: “We’ve got quite a few guys to look at, but hopefully two or three of them will be available.”
Talbot has set his sights on securing a win before the start of the Kingstone Press Championship One play-offs.
He said: “We were starting to build a little bit, but the Oldham game was a backward step for us in terms of our performance. We didn’t do ourselves justice.”
He added: “The All Golds have got better as the year’s gone on and I’m sure they’re a bit disappointed the season’s coming to an end.
“They’re picking up a bit of form and you know what to expect from any Brad Hepi team: they’ll come out firing and be physical from the start.”
Gloucestershire All Golds are aiming to secure their third win of a promising debut campaign that has seen them take points from seven of their 15 league fixtures so far.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#10 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Good to see Skolars have a fully fit squad to pick from.

Off to Oxford for the weekend.

I always look forward to watching a game of RL.

Even one at the Stoop,even now  ;) 

#11 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

North Wales Crusaders v South Wales Scorpions. KO 14:30 at Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium.  Ticket prices reduced to £10 per adult, £5 per child ... in advance and now on the gate.

Its North v South... Both teams have everything to play for; Crusaders need a point to win the league, Scorpions need 2 points for a chance to finish in the top 6.

No excuses ,,, be there

#12 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

At the risk of putting the hex on them, Crusaders should win comfortably. That'd make if the first time in my years watching the game that I've seen a club win all its home games :swoon:

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ive been told that on the Scorpions website that they are not only looking forward to beating Crusaders, but denying them the championship as well. Where has this confidence come from? Hope Clive has seen those comments. Should make for an interesting game.

#14 bangersandmash

bangersandmash
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Is it possible to follow the Crusaders game on the radio / online??

Posted Image

#15 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is it possible to follow the Crusaders game on the radio / online??

There is usually a Twitter feed for Crusaders games posted by Ryan Gould our press officer to keep people updated on the progress of the game.

BBC Wales cant even be bothered to report our scores.  The club has tried and tried to engage with BBC Wales TV and radio, they failed to report on the first derby between 2 welsh clubs in over 100 ears.  They failed to turn up in the Gnoll and most likely they will be more interested in the Wrexham v Chester soccer game on Saturday than reporting on Crusaders.

#16 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Really can't wait for tomorrow to come now, there should be a cracking atmosphere at the Racecourse Ground and a party afterwards.

Bring it on, We Are North Wales Crusaders!  

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

There is usually a Twitter feed for Crusaders games posted by Ryan Gould our press officer to keep people updated on the progress of the game.

BBC Wales cant even be bothered to report our scores.  The club has tried and tried to engage with BBC Wales TV and radio, they failed to report on the first derby between 2 welsh clubs in over 100 ears.  They failed to turn up in the Gnoll and most likely they will be more interested in the Wrexham v Chester soccer game on Saturday than reporting on Crusaders.

Has the club tried to get SC4 interested at all?

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

Has the club tried to get SC4 interested at all?

To be honest we have tried everything.  We get good coverage in our local newspaper, The Leader, but the have cocked up scores and which code we are playing, but before this game they have dedicated a good spread to us - and they are one of our shirt sponsors. 

The Daily Post does hardly any coverage, BBC Wales TV and Radio don't report our games and S4C probably haven't even heard of us.  Its not for wasn't of trying.  Our press officer sends out reports to all and sundry but they only seen interested in soccer of rugby union.

We have had good coverage on Premier Sports and our wheelchair team featured on Skys 'Boots n All'

I suppose we have to accept we are a minority interest sport in Wales but I know we are trying hard to spread the word; if (touch wood) we win tomorrow then I think there will be far more interest locally and nationally, and we have 2 games of the World Cup coming up to boost awareness.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the response gog.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 MR51CUK

MR51CUK
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I agree with Gog but I've spoken to Steffan Garrero from BBC radio Wales today and he said they will be covering the result
"@SteffGBBC: @MR51CUK in the news hours for sure - either promotion or about the playoffs"
He went on to say....,
"@SteffGBBC: @MR51CUK already a World Cup preview programme in the planning mate. One of my fav sports - covered the 2000 World Cup when I started"
So maybe things are starting to look up and all the pestering is getting somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users