Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

30/08/13 - St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Voted Warrington Wolves (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Draw (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

good to come through a game where we went off the boil against a good team.

couple of players looked unfit, that game will do them some good.

#82 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Phew.

#83 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Wire looked like they put the cue on the rack and Saints took advantage

#84 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

If you're touching a player who is making a tackle are you 'involved' in the tackle. Wish Stevo would shut up.

That used to be the interpretation they must of changed it

#85 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Wire looked like they put the cue on the rack and Saints took advantage

when we changed iur front row for players who didnt look fit Saints took advantage and stepped up. When Wood, Hill and Higham came back on we took control again.

#86 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I thought it changed when Saints brought their best forwards on

Then changed back after a couple of errors took the pressure off - those errors might have been down to the Wire forwards changing again though, so yeah

Then again, a champion team is quality from 1-17 not just 1-13

#87 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Entertaining game. Wire need to be able to sustain a level of intensity throughout the game rather than going all out and tiring. The one point really killed Saints' ever building momentum.

Saints won't challenge, Wire might.

#88 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

For me the momentum changed when wire after gifting the ball to Saints managed to get to the kick on three or four sets on the bounce. They didn't do anything special in them but it gave them the chance to have a breather and also stopped saints pressure. It's easy to change momentum on the back of opposition mistakes or penalties but the good teams can do it themselves through hard work.

#89 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Saints still need two halfbacks

#90 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

I thought it changed when Saints brought their best forwards on

Then changed back after a couple of errors took the pressure off - those errors might have been down to the Wire forwards changing again though, so yeah

Then again, a champion team is quality from 1-17 not just 1-13

ordinarily those interchanges would have made us stronger, I just think lack of fitness dropped our intensity just as Saints stepped it up.
Personally id have split that bench up a bit better - starting with Morley and bringing Hill on after 20.
monaghan was ineffective too.

#91 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

When you've grown up with our record versus Saints you'll take anything. Hill, Westwood and Harrison were unplayable in the first half, that's what won it.

Lee's dropgoal was the perfect play at the perfect moment.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#92 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

When you've grown up with our record versus Saints you'll take anything. Hill, Westwood and Harrison were unplayable in the first half, that's what won it.

Lee's dropgoal was the perfect play at the perfect moment.

really good to see Harrison back on form.

#93 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

For me the momentum changed when wire after gifting the ball to Saints managed to get to the kick on three or four sets on the bounce. They didn't do anything special in them but it gave them the chance to have a breather and also stopped saints pressure. It's easy to change momentum on the back of opposition mistakes or penalties but the good teams can do it themselves through hard work.

Indeed.....there were definite points in that game when saints threw away valueable possession when they were in danger of building pressure on wire.....in the 2nd half wire just dug in

#94 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Indeed.....there were definite points in that game when saints threw away valueable possession when they were in danger of building pressure on wire.....in the 2nd half wire just dug in

Saints did make some baffling decisions in the second half. As for Wire, their kicking game gave them the edge.

#95 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Brown has to give Walmsley more game time. In terms of their go-forward, they look like a different side when he's on the field. Spelling players is all well and good, but to leave him on the bench until the game was more or less lost was madness.

Edited by TheTerminator, 30 August 2013 - 09:58 PM.

Posted Image

#96 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Half backs the difference, Briers attacking kicking game was second to none whilst we lacked some sparkle when it mattered. The awful start didn't help.

#97 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Massive impact by Harrison tonight, the biggest positive for Wire by far.  Great win too.

I'm going to watch the recording tomorrow so I'll reserve judgement on the officials. I'm not a ref basher but I thought a lot of that tonight was out of kilter with what I've seen so far this season.

#98 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Massive impact by Harrison tonight, the biggest positive for Wire by far.  Great win too.

I'm going to watch the recording tomorrow so I'll reserve judgement on the officials. I'm not a ref basher but I thought a lot of that tonight was out of kilter with what I've seen so far this season.

It wasn't. He didn't give a penalty when Higham lifted the legs above the horizontal and that's about it. (Watched on tv with replays, pored over by Sky)

#99 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

What about the bit where Cooper tried to decapitate Lomax? What did he give then?

Lol, careful, you'll be in danger of losing your 'credibility' as a Leigh fan.

The great thing about that incident was that Cooper never moved, Lomax just ran into his chest.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#100 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

Lol, careful, you'll be in danger of losing your 'credibility' as a Leigh fan.

The great thing about that incident was that Cooper never moved, Lomax just ran into his chest.

His swinging arm was quite dangerous though. If he had caught Lomax with it he could of done some serious damage.