Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

30/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Hull FC (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Draw (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Wane flagged this up with his comment about 6 or 7 players who would not have normally played after last week's match. It distorts the competition and short changes the fans. I am not sure it's going to do much for our season ticket sales next year, but where Leeds had lead the way we are looking to follow. Something's very wrong with the competition structure though when this is the best course of action.
It was worse when Saints did it of course.

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hull squad:
Tom Briscoe, Josh Bowden, Jason Crookes, Ben Crooks, Chris Green, Dean Hadley, Richard Horne, Danny Houghton, Danny Holdsworth, Paul Johnson, Liam Kent, Jacob Miller, Jay Pitts, Jamie Shaul, Danny Tickle, Liam Watts, Joe Westerman, Richard Whiting, Kirk Yeaman.

Wigan squad:
Joe Burgess, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, James Greenwood, Jack Hughes, Ryan Hampshire, Rhodri Lloyd, Dominic Manfredi, Andy Powell, Sam Powell, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Lewis Tierney, Logan Tomkins, Chris Tuson, Tom Spencer, George Williams.

No McDonnell, Arundel, Lineham, O'Meley, Lynch, Ellis, Heremaia, Galea.

vs

No Tomkins, Charnley, Goulding, Richards, Smith, Green, McIllorum, Hansen, O'Loughlin, Farrell and Mossop

8 first teamers out vs 11. Fair to say that Hull have some fairly good strength in depth it seems.
Posted Image

#23 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

How many of the Hull players were available to play? None perhaps.

How many of Wigans were available for selection ? Most if not all.

Hull are picking their strongest team, they need/want to win.

Wigan are selecting their "weakest" team, perhaps they can afford to lose.

This could affect several teams in their struggle to get the best position in the play offs. It shows a lack of respect to their fans and the RFL.

If I was a Wigan fan I might pick and choose my games and give this one a miss!

#24 7723

• Coach
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't think it shows a lack of respect to the RFL. If the league was valued more and meant something teams would not do this, but the way it stands at the moment, why not give your starters a week off and use the rest of the first team squad who would not normally get a chance for a week and then bring the starters back just before the playoffs to try and win a trophy. This match is irrelevant to Wigan, it doesn't mean anything as there is nothing to play for. Already finished in the top 4 so why risk injuries after a week of celebrations.

#25 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

It shows a lack of respect to their fans and the RFL.

If I was a Wigan fan I might pick and choose my games and give this one a miss!

I agree! Of course Leeds have done it to an even greater extreme over the last few years and sadly teams won't stop doing it until the league is valued higher or there is significantly greater benefit in the play offs to finishing higher.

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I agree! Of course Leeds have done it to an even greater extreme over the last few years and sadly teams won't stop doing it until the league is valued higher or there is significantly greater benefit in the play offs to finishing higher.

I don't think intentionally though.

But good luck to Hull for this weekend and good luck to Leeds, because that will set up the Wigan/Leeds match very nicely!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Indeed! Although after last weekend I don't see wigan troubling anyone in the playoffs.

#28 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Just as long as Leeds don't mess it up by losing to Catalans. If that happens, it means Leeds will need to beat Wigan by (over) 188 points...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#29 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

we'll both still be in the top 4 though so its not a huge problem anyway.

That said, there in lies the problem. Wigan have pretty much thrown some games this season (I'm not saying Leeds have done this!) and are still cruising for a top 4 finish.

#30 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

we'll both still be in the top 4 though so its not a huge problem anyway.

That said, there in lies the problem. Wigan have pretty much thrown some games this season (I'm not saying Leeds have done this!) and are still cruising for a top 4 finish.

This season, Leeds' problem has been injuries.

The last couple of years, Leeds have finished 5th, but on the back of a poor mid season with a decent run (2011 winning 6 of the last 10 and 7 in 2012). This year, we've won 5 of the final 10 games of the season (with 2 to play), so still on track whereas Wigan have won 3 (with 2 left), so the form isn't on their side.

Interestingly, outside of the top 2, the team on the best form are St Helens who had a similar mid season dip to Leeds lest year and are now on 7 wins from the final 10 (with 2 left) and coincidentally sat in 5th (though they could still finish 4th)

#31 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

But Saints are a worse team than leeds were and Wigan's goals thus far have both been achieved. In the 3 Cup games during this run we let in 4 points, so we've got form in knock out games.

#32 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

But Saints are a worse team than leeds were and Wigan's goals thus far have both been achieved. In the 3 Cup games during this run we let in 4 points, so we've got form in knock out games.

That's a fair point. And the form stats I have don't factor in the cup, it's just SL. I'm just hoping you lose the last couple to delay Leeds having to play Huddersfield as long as possible!

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

To be fair, you played Widnes and London in those games, and Hull are hardly renowned for a great attack. Who have you really played to win the cup?
Posted Image

#34 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Rovers...and we killed them for 35 minutes! Lol.

#35 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Rovers...and we killed them for 35 minutes! Lol.

True...

...but unfortunately for you a game lasts for 80 :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#36 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

I think Saints were a disgrace because the first teamers actually bet on the reserves to lose.

Only a couple of wiganers, they were of the belief that gave them carte Blanche:)
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#37 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Wellsy, we won the Cup. It's a cup competition, in which we played 4 SL teams. We targeted it and we won it. If you can find a side that has beaten all 3 of those teams (and HKR away) as easily this year let me know.

#38 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

NIce one, but I don't recall Saints fans ever mentioning that they were Wiganers until they started placing bets on their own team to lose.

They were always wiganers when they did owt wrong
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Its a squad game these day, coaches utilise their squad to what is the best advantage of their club. 

Fans know at the beginning of the season these days that this may happen, there are no last minute surprises for the fans on the terraces.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#40 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Its a squad game these day, coaches utilise their squad to what is the best advantage of their club.

Fans know at the beginning of the season these days that this may happen, there are no last minute surprises for the fans on the terraces.

Stop being sensible, affect false outrage - it's much more fun!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users