TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

30/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Hull FC (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Draw (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Wigan squad:
Joe Burgess, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, James Greenwood, Jack Hughes, Ryan Hampshire, Rhodri Lloyd, Dominic Manfredi, Andy Powell, Sam Powell, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Lewis Tierney, Logan Tomkins, Chris Tuson, Tom Spencer, George Williams.

Very bright future for wigan!

what is the average age of this squad? take Andy powell out and it cant be no more than 21?

great stuff from wigan, unlucky to lose!

Edited by shun, 30 August 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#82 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Give it a rest troll. It's getting boring now. Nothing wrong with stating facts and giving an excellent performance credit despite the defeat.

It is, yes. You got beat, deal with it.

Which "baffling decisions" were made and when? Y'know, these supposed "facts".

#83 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Children behave. Great to see these comments from protagonists of my 2 next favourite teams!

Bit of a farce all round with the result clearly influenced by outrageous selection decisions by Wane.

Andy Powell seems to have "starred" in this game,an over the hill Rugby Union forward who is so raw he has struggled out on loan to the Scorpions.

With St Helens losing to Warrington this "throwing" of the game by Wigan affects the final outcomes for Saints, Catalans, Hull and KR. 

Any other club would have been reprimanded.

#84 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Sam, you'd be better off on a different tack. We're the only club to have won anything yet, and our young lads have genuinely exceeded expectations, so you'd be hard pressed to find anyone struggling to "deal with it".
We now have the bizarre scenario in which we're potentially better off having lost, will be better off losing again next Thursday... At what point did this stop being a normal sport?

#85 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

And Steve, I agree that our flagrant disregard for the league since the Exiles match has distorted the league.

#86 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

It is, yes. You got beat, deal with it.

Which "baffling decisions" were made and when? Y'know, these supposed "facts".

Baffling decisions both ways - playing advantage in circumstances when both teams knocked on, phantom forward passes, then missing blatant ones. Penalty for a man not being square when perfectly aligned and the ball was played to no-one. Calling time off for a set scrum with only four players there. Not signalling fifth tackle and then giving a handover on the next one. Not calling time back on for a full set. Missed obstructions, second efforts, etc. Calling the first offside penalty after 75 mins when both teams had offended worse all game. Enough for you?

Just a very very poor officiating display irrespective of the outcome.

#87 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

They're not facts. That's your opinion. Unless you've managed to rewatch the match again and have been able to dissect each of these "baffling decisions".

If you're going to spend all game watching the ref, I'd just not bother going to the game.

Edited by archibald, 30 August 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#88 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

And Steve, I agree that our flagrant disregard for the league since the Exiles match has distorted the league.

Wigan's team selections from May onwards have been a farce bordering on bringing the game into disrepute, regardless of this evening's excellent performance. Wane has shown a complete lack of respect for the league structure and although I'll still be cheering the lads on the playoffs, I don't agree with the approach at all. We don't deserve to win the GF when we have shown little desire (tonight excepted) during the second half of the league season. It might have worked for Leeds in season's past, but I stand by the view offered at the time that it hurts the game when winning the league doesn't give a huge advantage in the playoffs.

#89 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

They're not facts. That's your opinion. Unless you've managed to rewatch the match again and have been able to dissect each of these "baffling decisions".

If you're going to spend all game watching the ref, I'd just not bother going to the game.

You'd argue in an empty room fella.

The 'facts' were the young team, excellent effort in defeat and that the clock stayed at 5:01 for just under a minute. Justification of the 'baffling decisions' is what you requested. Having picked up the whistle in the past, you can't help but see where you think a ref's made a mistake. I'm not apologising for that. Nevertheless I also saw some excellent performances from the Wigan lads (and a few from Hull), not a victory or a 'moral victory', but certainly good signs for the future.

How did your team do?

Edited by giwildgo, 30 August 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#90 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

You'd argue in an empty room fella. The 'facts' were the young team, excellent performance and that the clock stayed at 5:01 for just under a minute. Justification of the 'baffling decisions' is what you requested. Having picked up the whistle in the past, you can't help but see where you think a ref's made a mistake. I'm not apologising for that. Nevertheless I also saw some excellent performances from the Wigan lads (and a few from Hull), not a victory or a 'moral victory', but certainly good signs for the future. How did your team do?

When it comes to the indiscriminate abuse of refs I will. So, the baffling decisions is down to one and it's when you "think" a ref's made a mistake. I've seen them make mistakes for years,but far less than the players and I've never once thought they do it deliberately.

Enjoy your team, but guess what, we know they're young, but they're not as young and inexperienced as you'd have us believe.

We beat Sts, just. At times we were an undisciplined rabble.

#91 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Enjoyable game I thought, Wigans inexperience lost it for me, attempting the drop on the first tackle from a scrum inside the Hull 20 with something like 1m 30s on the clock.  See out that set and they'd have been good for a point at least.

Thought Andy Powell showed up well, perhaps still getting up to speed on fitness, but his timing looked much improved running on to the ball and his try was something else.

Agree about some of Childs decisions being baffling, I'm sure when they review the game next week he'll have got most of them correct, not saying he's a bad ref at all, just something about how he goes about it doesn't inspire confidence for me even though he's probably making the right call!

#92 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

When it comes to the indiscriminate abuse of refs I will. So, the baffling decisions is down to one and it's when you "think" a ref's made a mistake. I've seen them make mistakes for years,but far less than the players and I've never once thought they do it deliberately.

Enjoy your team, but guess what, we know they're young, but they're not as young and inexperienced as you'd have us believe.

We beat Sts, just. At times we were an undisciplined rabble.

Did you used to be called 'sam'? There can't be two Wire supporters who would argue black was white just for fun (even Browny falls short on occasions). I'm not going to get into a how young the team is or how inexperienced it is, as I don't understand your problem on the matter. Petty rivalries aside, I'd have thought it a good thing whoever you support when academy players get chances in SL and don't look completely out of place.

I'll leave the appraisal of Child's performance as stated - although I will suggest that I in no way intended an interpretation that any mistakes made were deliberate, hence the use of the word baffling.

Edited by giwildgo, 30 August 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#93 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

I will suggest that I no way intended an interpretation that any mistakes made were deliberate, hence the use of the word baffling.

They're never baffling, a ref not giving a forward pass is because he didn't think it was one. Do they get things wrong, yes, but they have several decisions to make at every single tackle.

#94 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Tremendous effort by a young Hull side to come away from Wigan with the two points. I really didn't think the players and coaching staff would be able to lift themselves off the floor less than a week after such a demoralising performance.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#95 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

They're never baffling, a ref not giving a forward pass is because he didn't think it was one. Do they get things wrong, yes, but they have several decisions to make at every single tackle.

Oh go on then, I've nothing better to do, so I'll take that bait.

How can decisions never be baffling? The definition of baffling is an unexplained occurrence. Decisions which are difficult to understand in terms of how they are reached relative to the rules, can clearly be baffling for the spectator - whether right or wrong.

#96 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Tremendous effort by a young Hull side to come away from Wigan with the two points. I really didn't think the players and coaching staff would be able to lift themselves off the floor less than a week after such a demoralising performance.

Certainly a much better effort than last weekend, although the better conditions were clearly a factor.

#97 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

Oh go on then, I've nothing better to do, so I'll take that bait. How can decisions never be baffling? The definition of baffling is an unexplained occurrence. Decisions which are difficult to understand in terms of how they are reached relative to the rules, can clearly be baffling for the spectator - whether right or wrong.

Because when you actually think about how the ref reached a decision it's perfectly plausible. Ball stripped in the tackle but he gives a knock on, wrong decision but I'll understand why he gave it as a knock on.

#98 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Because when you actually think about how the ref reached a decision it's perfectly plausible. Ball stripped in the tackle but he gives a knock on, wrong decision but I'll understand why he gave it as a knock on.

Yes, but that wasn't an example of a baffling one. Explain the four men in the scrum / time off one? Baffling, gross incompetence, inability to count, or all three?

Edited by giwildgo, 30 August 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#99 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yes, but that wasn't an example of a baffling one. Explain the four men in the scrum / time off one? Baffling, gross incompetence, inability to count, or all three?

He lost count/ forgot to wave time back on...these things happen.

#100 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

If you want perfection from refs, you'll spend your life disappointed. If you want this mythical "consistency", ditto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users