League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

30/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Hull FC (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Draw (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Children behave. Great to see these comments from protagonists of my 2 next favourite teams!

Bit of a farce all round with the result clearly influenced by outrageous selection decisions by Wane.

Andy Powell seems to have "starred" in this game,an over the hill Rugby Union forward who is so raw he has struggled out on loan to the Scorpions.

With St Helens losing to Warrington this "throwing" of the game by Wigan affects the final outcomes for Saints, Catalans, Hull and KR. 

Any other club would have been reprimanded.

You haven't obviously seen this game and do not know the effort put in by both teams to win it.

You could have course realise that both teams did give 100% and you are just spoiling for a fight.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#102 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

He lost count/ forgot to wave time back on...these things happen.

Lost count of the number of players forming a scrum in front of him? Like I said - baffling.

The forgotten time off / timekeeper issue was entirely different. Likely an honest mistake, but a serious one that needs to be investigated to ensure it doesn't happen again.

#103 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Tremendous effort by a young Hull side to come away from Wigan with the two points. I really didn't think the players and coaching staff would be able to lift themselves off the floor less than a week after such a demoralising performance.

Hmmm...not too many bites sadly.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#104 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

No I won't, because generally he calls things like he sees them. Unlike Wellsy who always posts as though he is chewing a wasp.

Happy to help.

Still chomping at that line I see?

Top bait!

Sour grapes tonight? ;)
Posted Image

#105 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Only just seen Shaun Wane's comments on the timekeeping "issue" and at first glance it sounded like a bit of a moan after losing. Then came on here and it seems it there may be some substance to it. From the Hull end it was impossible to see the clock, so it's impossible for me to say if there was a problem. However, James Child does have "form" in this respect. Think it was a couple of years ago at the KC when he failed to stop the clock for an injury / penalty. That said, refs are only human and mistakes will be made every now and then. The above shouldn't detract from what was a pretty exciting game. Wigan's kids really had a blast at it and gave a very good account of themselves. Ryan Hampshire was outstanding and produced one of the highest bombs I've ever seen. Powell was a handful too. Thought Hull had thrown it away, but thanks to Dannny Houghton, we pulled it out of the bag at the death. Good to see plenty of youth in the Hull team too. Would never have happened under our previous regime.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#106 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Rubbish bait, that's why.

I see at the bottom of my page that Wellsy is trawling, let's see if you can resist his efforts.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#107 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Tremendous effort by a young Hull side to come away from Wigan with the two points. I really didn't think the players and coaching staff would be able to lift themselves off the floor less than a week after such a demoralising performance.

9 first teamers out. But everyone forgets that ;)

Great effort by our youngsters.
Posted Image

#108 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

As an aside from the bickering, I have to say that if Saturday had been half as good a game as the one last night then it would've been the showpiece final everyone wanted. Great entertainment and intensity, some quality tries and a real underdog spirit to the game. Really enjoyed it despite the end result and my officiating gripes.

#109 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

That won't be too hard. He's not what you would call "Subtle" is he?

Who..."Sledgehammer Wellsy"?

And "Leigh fan"?  :nono:

#110 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

As an aside from the bickering, I have to say that if Saturday had been half as good a game as the one last night then it would've been the showpiece final everyone wanted. Great entertainment and intensity, some quality tries and a real underdog spirit to the game. Really enjoyed it despite the end result and my officiating gripes.

That's what atrocious conditions can do to a game though.
Not saying wed have won at all (c'mon, it's Wembley!). Just that the game would have been a far better spectacle. Which is a shame because I had a great day until the snore fest of a game!
Posted Image

#111 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

That's what atrocious conditions can do to a game though.
Not saying wed have won at all (c'mon, it's Wembley!). Just that the game would have been a far better spectacle. Which is a shame because I had a great day until the snore fest of a game!

Difficult to call in different conditions. The Wigan team today, played better than a lot of 'first team' performances. Yet still there was very little in it...a bit like Holdsworth's unfortunate picture during the week.

Edited by giwildgo, 30 August 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#112 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

You haven't obviously seen this game and do not know the effort put in by both teams to win it.

You could have course realise that both teams did give 100% and you are just spoiling for a fight.

Difficult to see the game from Cardiff. Would expect both teams on the pitch to give 100% and effort to win the game. The more so the youngsters who are trying to make their mark.

Sounds like it was an exciting game between Hulls best available side on the night selected to do the Club proud and hopefully win against Wigans team selected to rest a whole host of available and first choice players without too much respect for the integrity of the competition. A great chance for Wane to blood his reserves but hardly squad rotation....how many times has he done this before? Rest one or 2 perhaps.

I am not spoiling for a fight just a bit of intellectual debate and honesty in putting club prejudice to one side. Myopic or what.

Beginning to think this forum is more of a kids playground than a genuine chance to swap views with intelligent fans of the game.

#113 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

The clock whingeing from Wigan fans is superb value. This being the club where the clock used to disappear a couple of minutes from the end if ever Wigan were losing, only to hit 80 once they'd scored.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#114 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

You could cut the irony with a knife.

Another telling contribution...512 posts 2500 words, that just about sums it up.

#115 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

so, licensing is good because it allows teams to play young English players and not rely on imports, and they do not have to worry about getting beat because they will not get relegated. Ok. Wigan play a young team and do not have to worry about the result because the play off system allows them to still be in with a shot. the first scenario is ok, but the second Wigan are accused of throwing the game! what's the difference?

#116 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

Some epic fishing (am Wellsy did me like a kipper). For mine, it's the ideal result, a defeat while the young lads get an extra hard game under their belts. If I were a fan of another club indirectly affected I would be annoyed though.
I trust McDermott and Wane will be on the phone at some point over the week end to work out who should win on Thursday. I assume we would prefer the Giants and they'd prefer Wire, so here's hoping we get to see more of the Hampshire show.

#117 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Wigan's team selections from May onwards have been a farce bordering on bringing the game into disrepute, regardless of this evening's excellent performance. Wane has shown a complete lack of respect for the league structure and although I'll still be cheering the lads on the playoffs, I don't agree with the approach at all. We don't deserve to win the GF when we have shown little desire (tonight excepted) during the second half of the league season. It might have worked for Leeds in season's past, but I stand by the view offered at the time that it hurts the game when winning the league doesn't give a huge advantage in the playoffs.

Well said! No matter the result, will Wigan now be fined that has happened in the past? I'm not sure if the Saints were fined for turning out a weakened side at Hull, having already secured the top spot and got slaughtered on this forum for doing so. Obviously there was the fine dished out after the Bradford game. There might be other games as well that have resulted in a fine for turning out weakened sides. 

All that aside, the Wigan youngsters put up a great effort, according to what I have read and result.

#118 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Really? When did that happen? I have never seen, nor heard about that before.

Did you just make that up?

The clock at Wigan used to be on the scoreboard, however this was not tied into the time keepers clock. Once in a TV game the screen clock was out of sync with the scoreboard clock. The opposition were using the scoreboard clock and thought the game had ended, it hadn't. They stupidly assumed the game was over when the clock hit eighty as opposed to when the siren sounded. Some fans who could see both clocks and saw the obvious discrepancy knew about it from past matches and they knew which clock to watch.

After that game, the opposition complained, must have been an interesting complaint, that "our team is stupid and don't play to the hooter but watch only one of the two clocks in the ground", following that Wigan, for all games, after 78 minutes the clock on screen was switched off so neither team could presume the eighty was up.

A couple of years ago the ESL brought in a regulation that there must be a visible clock that is tied into the time keepers, that is why at Wigan there is now a clock in the West stand that is controlled by the time keepers. It was obvious last night that the timekeepers failed to restart the clock following a stoppage. The delay was about a a set of six. The error could have been the ref didn't signal a restart, or the timekeepers just didn't pick up on it. If it was the ref. naughty ref. If it was the timekeepers then naughty Hull and Wigan as both clubs have a timekeeper in control of the clock.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#119 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

Well said! No matter the result, will Wigan now be fined that has happened in the past? I'm not sure if the Saints were fined for turning out a weakened side at Hull, having already secured the top spot and got slaughtered on this forum for doing so. Obviously there was the fine dished out after the Bradford game. There might be other games as well that have resulted in a fine for turning out weakened sides. 

All that aside, the Wigan youngsters put up a great effort, according to what I have read and result.

Saints did get fined, Saints were the ones that caused a change in the regulations regarding this, just like they were responsible for the off-side law being changed by their continual cheating in the 1966 cup-final.

#120 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

What year was this?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users