TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

30/08/13 - Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Hull FC (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

3. Draw (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

After that game, the opposition complained, must have been an interesting complaint, that "our team is stupid and don't play to the hooter but watch only one of the two clocks in the ground", following that Wigan, for all games, after 78 minutes the clock on screen was switched off so neither team could presume the eighty was up.

A couple of years ago the ESL brought in a regulation that there must be a visible clock that is tied into the time keepers, that is why at Wigan there is now a clock in the West stand that is controlled by the time keepers. It was obvious last night that the timekeepers failed to restart the clock following a stoppage. The delay was about a a set of six. The error could have been the ref didn't signal a restart, or the timekeepers just didn't pick up on it. If it was the ref. naughty ref. If it was the timekeepers then naughty Hull and Wigan as both clubs have a timekeeper in control of the clock.

isnt in an rfl timekeeper now rather than a rep of each club? thought i read that somewhere in the last couple of years...

#122 251120

• Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

When Ian Millward was in charge at St Helens he sent a very under strength side to play Bradford and Saints were cautioned and fined heavily for doing so. How come nothing is said about Wigan doing exactly the same thing the week before they meet Leeds.

#123 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

When Ian Millward was in charge at St Helens he sent a very under strength side to play Bradford and Saints were cautioned and fined heavily for doing so. How come nothing is said about Wigan doing exactly the same thing the week before they meet Leeds.

the rules were changed after what saints did.

The fans knew what team Wigan would put out, that team was almost good enough to win. I dont see an issue tbh.

#124 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

We will rest even more players against Leeds as the side we fielded last night nearly turned out to be strong enough to win.

#125 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

From Wane's perspective he learnt the hard way that winning the league was no guarantee he would keep his job. When people's jobs are at stake they will often do whatever it takes. Hence push on the first half of the season, get into the top 5 and then wrap up all the players in cotton wool. It's the only sensible course of action. It's also a ridiculous state of affairs.

#126 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

From Wane's perspective he learnt the hard way that winning the league was no guarantee he would keep his job. When people's jobs are at stake they will often do whatever it takes. Hence push on the first half of the season, get into the top 5 and then wrap up all the players in cotton wool. It's the only sensible course of action. It's also a ridiculous state of affairs.

i am surprised he didnt go harder for that 2nd spot though. Surely he would rather have had home games than travel to Hudds or Wire?

#127 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Actually, no. If you look at our form over the last 3 years we are better away from home. I think playing in front of big crowds tends to inspire Warrington and the Giants.

#128 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Actually, no. If you look at our form over the last 3 years we are better away from home. I think playing in front of big crowds tends to inspire Warrington and the Giants.

not sure about Hudds but your record at the HJ is pretty poor apart from that one cup win iirc.

#129 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I cannot see the problem with Wigan's team selection, it's what people wanted wasn't it the chance for clubs to be able to blood young players. Both clubs had very young teams out there it shows how far our talent pool has increased through player investment.

#130 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

The format of the competition is a disgrace and has to be changed urgently.

If clubs want people to keep on buying season tickets then the quality of the weekly rounds must be beyond reproach or they will just give up their season tickets and start to pick and choose the matches that they attend. It has been clear for some time that the weekly rounds have become all but irrelevant in determining the eventual champions - I gave up my season ticket at the end of last season because of this and won't be going back until this issue is addressed to my satisfaction.

Leeds have won the last two championships on the back of taking it easy during the weekly rounds and arriving at the play-offs fresh and un-injured whilst clubs like Wigan and Warrington have gone eyeballs out every week of the regular season and then been found wanting in the play-offs due to fatigue and injury. You can't blame the clubs for behaving like they have and now everyone seems to be trying to copy the Leeds approach which leaves the speccies short-changed and frustrated.

The champion must revert to being determined by the club that tops the table after the weekly rounds - no ifs no buts, this has to happen.

The annual end of season top eight, Skyball, tick-and-pass, scootathon competition must be downgraded in importance before the whole of the game becomes downgraded as a result.

Edited by Bitofaboogie, 31 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#131 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

under either new structure it looks like the playoffs will have stronger rewards for league position like they used to.

Warrington finishing 2nd may have to beat Wigan twice to get to OT. If Wigan win the first suddenly they get home advantage.

The advantages of finishing higher are too small imho.

#132 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

Dave - you've hit the nail on the head there. If we throw next week's game, and beat Huddersfield we get a home match to get us to OT and a week's rest. It's a farce!

#133 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Dave - you've hit the nail on the head there. If we throw next week's game, and beat Huddersfield we get a home match to get us to OT and a week's rest. It's a farce!

Next week's match could be a turning point for the game - I think that it could benefit both sides to lose it, so it will be interesting to see how the game pans out. Personally I think I feel a farce coming on.

#134 chunks

chunks
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

As a season ticket holder living 2 hours away I was a little annoyed at the squad named and for a moment asked myself whether I could be bothered if the club couldn't. What I got was a thoroughly entertaining game, some great attacking play from both sides, the best atmosphere in a while and 34 players totally committed to winning the game. Yes I was annoyed at the timekeeping debacle however drove home happy that I had made the effort. The difference in the teams was the composure shown by Houghton and Holdsworth in the last 90 seconds. Hopefully, the game will have prepared the Wigan youngsters well (and Hull's for that matter) for the future.

#135 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

under either new structure it looks like the playoffs will have stronger rewards for league position like they used to.

Warrington finishing 2nd may have to beat Wigan twice to get to OT. If Wigan win the first suddenly they get home advantage.

The advantages of finishing higher are too small imho.

Spot on - personally I think the playoffs should be a top 4. 1st and 2nd play for a GF spot. 3rd and 4th play to meet the loser the following week for a GF spot. Making the playoffs a more exclusive reward for a high league finish would help the week to week intensity of the game. The threat of relegation would keep it interesting at the bottom (I'd have one up, one down with second bottom of SL playing second top of the Championship as a winner takes all relegation decider).

#136 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Spot on - personally I think the playoffs should be a top 4. 1st and 2nd play for a GF spot. 3rd and 4th play to meet the loser the following week for a GF spot. Making the playoffs a more exclusive reward for a high league finish would help the week to week intensity of the game. The threat of relegation would keep it interesting at the bottom (I'd have one up, one down with second bottom of SL playing second top of the Championship as a winner takes all relegation decider).

Yep, this is how I'd like to see the playoffs if they move to the 8x3 system.

#137 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Saints did get fined, Saints were the ones that caused a change in the regulations regarding this, just like they were responsible for the off-side law being changed by their continual cheating in the 1966 cup-final.

1966!  :tongue:

Edited by Saint Billinge, 31 August 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#138 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Even if there were no playoffs and the season end league leader declared true champions, there would be circumstances where clubs might field weakened teams.

#139 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

What's wrong with being a Leigh fan?

Super League snobbery is rife on here.

I and I think most Leeds fans have always had a good relationship with Leigh folk.not because of their locality either,I've always got on with them
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#140 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

I and I think most Leeds fans have always had a good relationship with Leigh folk.not because of their locality either,I've always got on with them

Is it because their names are very similar?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users