Summer/Winter debate

ckn

Debate all you want in this thread about the merits, politics and everything else around the summer/winter split in the game.  Go on... have a rant.

It gives a convenient thread for everyone else to ignore while they read the stories that are actually important in our game.  It also gives us a convenient place to move off-topic rants from other threads.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't care less to be honest. I like being able to watch amateur RL all year round. Just wish the clubs would decide once and for all which is best for them. All the swapping and changing is making my statistical records difficult to control accurately! Hope the NWCL get sufficient numbers to keep going.

Couldn't care less to be honest. I like being able to watch amateur RL all year round. Just wish the clubs would decide once and for all which is best for them. All the swapping and changing is making my statistical records difficult to control accurately! Hope the NWCL get sufficient numbers to keep going.

Temperatures have started to drop, that's a good sign the season is about to start, Sharlston this weekend in a friendly and then Kings Cross Park away in the first game of the new season, We got our butts kicked there last year.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

This is the key in the debate. The clubs deciding what's best for them and choose and stick with it and forget about the debate for a few seasons. Work through the issues with either season and make the most of it

This is the key in the debate. The clubs deciding what's best for them and choose and stick with it and forget about the debate for a few seasons. Work through the issues with either season and make the most of it

The problem with doing that is clubs could go to the wall (Fev Lions and there are a lot more if rumours are to be believed)

The problem with doing that is clubs could go to the wall (Fev Lions and there are a lot more if rumours are to be believed)

Fev Lions have been bussing in their first team for about six years apparently. Their problems have little to do with summer rugby.

Fev Lions have been bussing in their first team for about six years apparently. Their problems have little to do with summer rugby.

Summer has probably postponed the inevitable if you believe the reports online about "winter" players returning to their clubs come September time

Summer rugby has been there for clubs to choose for a while if that's what they wanted, the big issue is after the proper gander from the RFL clubs didn't really have much choice if they wanted to play at a good standard, jump or sink,

Look what summer has done to the pro game with the lack of supporters

I don't think anybody can deny that there has been a dramatic lose in players since the switch, if your club have more players well good luck but have a look at the clubs in the whole, it wasn't a smooth ride in winter at the end of a season getting all the second teams turned out but the summer games that are getting called off even at the beginning of a season is embarrassing, not to mention top ncl team having to sign players on the day and use 16/17 year olds to turn a side out, serously how long before clubs start to fold,

If the RFL want what's best for the game why do they not champion both winter and summer instead of trying to get what they must consider fools to sign the OP rules where they are basically trying to block clubs returning to winter amongst other things,

Running a summer compertotion is a great idea , I can just see rugby union and the FA kicking themselfs because they didn't think of themselves

By the way I support my club just as much in the summer as I did in winter, but I would sooner be called a rebel than a sheep who would sooner swallow the Bul---t they are fed that challenge the wrongdoings

I've kept away from the summer league debate but I feel its time to put in my own view of things.

Here in Cumbria we launched a new league this summer including teams from Barrow area for the first time. My club was the only club to vote to stay in winter but we went with the flow as if was hobsons choice. We fully embraced the concept and at giving it our best. At the start of the season the league went well but as the summer holidays have kicked in teams have been travelling with less than 17 players and that's first teams not A teams. A major name BRoughton red Rose folded last year and now another big name is rumoured to be on the precipice. As a coach of a few years now In have never seen such a lack of commitment from players at my ownclub due to festivals holidays weddings etc especially in the school holiday period even from the younger players.The standard of games is dropping due to the lack of consistency in team selection right across the board. A number of senior players have retired due to family commitments during the summer. People may point to good numbers registered but there are less numbers playing on weekends. The major advantage is that we have better training conditions but we have inconsistent numbers and we have pde season in the depths of winter. We are also down on revenue and will struggle in winter. Another minus is many players are builders and midweek during summer are working long nights.

On a personal level I am involved in many aspects of the game and for the first time I can remember I am sick of rugby this year and am considering a break away from the game I love, which, for those who know me, is a big shock. In short In think summer will be the eventual ruin of amateur rugby league and the change is a way for the RFL to implement a copy of the Aussie pyramid sfructure to save the pro clubs money.

Before the small minded ask who I support etc Barla /RFL I am a Barla coach and have been an RFL coach but my allegiances lie with whoever will run our game successfully, I have played and coached since age 8 that's 32 years! and the game has given me far more than I can ever give back but all the back biting politics etc has sickened me and many others in my area to the point of quitting. Having discussed this with many of my peers a lot are feeling that summer rugby is not the way forward and we are just pawns for the pro clubs to play with.

Peace out

Chris Fisher

Coach, Glasson Rangers Arlfc

Cumbria under 17's head coach

Barla emerging lions assistant coaxh

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

I am led to believe that ten NCL clubs have expressed concern about being unable to raise full squads due to un availability of players that is a worrying situation .

Do you know the ten?  Probably a bit inappropriate to ask I suppose.  However it would be interesting to know (from my point of view) what the split is like between East/West of the pennines

If there are 10+ NCL Clubs who think Summer is hampering them and want to wish to return to Winter, that would be great basis for a Winter conference being set up so there is a choice for every club

Where do all their successful juniors go once they reach the age to play open-age?

I've kept away from the summer league debate but I feel its time to put in my own view of things.

Here in Cumbria we launched a new league this summer including teams from Barrow area for the first time. My club was the only club to vote to stay in winter but we went with the flow as if was hobsons choice. We fully embraced the concept and at giving it our best. At the start of the season the league went well but as the summer holidays have kicked in teams have been travelling with less than 17 players and that's first teams not A teams. A major name BRoughton red Rose folded last year and now another big name is rumoured to be on the precipice. As a coach of a few years now In have never seen such a lack of commitment from players at my ownclub due to festivals holidays weddings etc especially in the school holiday period even from the younger players.The standard of games is dropping due to the lack of consistency in team selection right across the board. A number of senior players have retired due to family commitments during the summer. People may point to good numbers registered but there are less numbers playing on weekends. The major advantage is that we have better training conditions but we have inconsistent numbers and we have pde season in the depths of winter. We are also down on revenue and will struggle in winter. Another minus is many players are builders and midweek during summer are working long nights.

On a personal level I am involved in many aspects of the game and for the first time I can remember I am sick of rugby this year and am considering a break away from the game I love, which, for those who know me, is a big shock. In short In think summer will be the eventual ruin of amateur rugby league and the change is a way for the RFL to implement a copy of the Aussie pyramid sfructure to save the pro clubs money.

Before the small minded ask who I support etc Barla /RFL I am a Barla coach and have been an RFL coach but my allegiances lie with whoever will run our game successfully, I have played and coached since age 8 that's 32 years! and the game has given me far more than I can ever give back but all the back biting politics etc has sickened me and many others in my area to the point of quitting. Having discussed this with many of my peers a lot are feeling that summer rugby is not the way forward and we are just pawns for the pro clubs to play with.

Peace out

Chris Fisher

Coach, Glasson Rangers Arlfc

Cumbria under 17's head coach

Barla emerging lions assistant coaxh

Bit of a surprise, I was lead to believe the game in Cumbria was flourishing after turning to summer rugby and your own club does seem to be doing well.

Do you know the ten?  Probably a bit inappropriate to ask I suppose.  However it would be interesting to know (from my point of view) what the split is like between East/West of the pennines

If there are 10+ NCL Clubs who think Summer is hampering them and want to wish to return to Winter, that would be great basis for a Winter conference being set up so there is a choice for every club

I'd be more interested to know if the NCL clubs who are doing well are the same clubs that the service areas directed junior/youth players towards a few years ago.

It seems to me that the game's got to work through these issues. Winter will work best for some, summer for others. Anecdotally, summer is a better way for clubs in less-established areas to get more players through the doors.

To this end, we need cooperation between all bodies, the ability to play at NCL standard all year round, and competition scheduling that is sympathetic to both seasons, including cross-season competitions.

Go to it, people.

www.rugbyleagueratings.com - more accurate than you might think. @rlratings

Marauder, the addition of the Barrow clubs

has strengthened the comp after losing kells when they joined the NCL but my opinion is the standard has dropped especially after the summer hols started and lack of commitment as well. We have never started the same 17 this year and we are relying on many players below the age of 20 and a few of the now defunct BRR players, a few week ago several games were cancelled due to a lack of referees!

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

I am led to believe that ten NCL clubs have expressed concern about being unable to raise full squads due to un availability of players that is a worrying situation .

Ten NCL Clubs??  Don't think so Taxi.......   There must be more than ten !!

The naive optimist in me would love to see a single, unitary game structure under one single governing body, playing in one of summer or winter where you can plot your way all the way from the most junior club all the way to super league.  The realist in me knows that we're more likely to get a merging of union and league than that.

It's a bitter shame that we've such a fragmented sport and I'd hate to think how many players and teams we've lost because of it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived