Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer/Winter debate

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#41 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

I don't disagree but some have seized that with glee in the community game.

I don't disagree but some have seized that with glee in the community game.

Should we as the community game be treated as an equal in the game or are we just here to serve the elite ?

#42 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Seaton Rangers only 3 years ago they were the Carla champions and won 2 of the 3 major cups and had 2 teams.
Lot of good people up there and its a real shame

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#43 Boo

Boo
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

not this again, i know im getting fed up of this now i don't know about anyone else there is no point to it. it will never end people prefer winter and others summer so it will never be sorted or come to a compromise. just leave this debate alone now............................... RANT OVER  

#44 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

not this again, i know im getting fed up of this now i don't know about anyone else there is no point to it. it will never end people prefer winter and others summer so it will never be sorted or come to a compromise. just leave this debate alone now............................... RANT OVER  

Look at the title of the thread mate, surely you could have kept clear if you've no desire to debate

#45 Boo

Boo
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

it is totally pointless debate end of 

#46 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

You're offering your opinion in the debate now mate - don't get caught up in it

#47 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Is it pointless, you only have to go back a couple of years and I was the only one highlighting the problems with summer rugby, now after nearly two years every point I made and more are starting to be aired on here.

The more the problems are brought into the open the more other clubs are openly agreeing they have the same ones, this can only be sending the message to the NCL committee.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#48 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Is it pointless, you only have to go back a couple of years and I was the only one highlighting the problems with summer rugby, now after nearly two years every point I made and more are starting to be aired on here.

The more the problems are brought into the open the more other clubs are openly agreeing they have the same ones, this can only be sending the message to the NCL committee.

I just don't understand why you keep weighing in over this though, Jim.

Your club used summer to relaunch etc but ultimately chose winter. Other clubs, for the time being, seem to have chosen a different path.

Why are we discussing the whole thing in such dramatic terms though? Surely it's simply a case of all players and clubs choosing their preferred path.

The 'market' will ultimately decide itself.

Edited by Pottsy, 31 August 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#49 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Your club used summer to relaunch etc but ultimately chose winter. Other clubs, for the time being, seem to have chosen a different path.

Why are we discussing the whole thing in such dramatic terms though? Surely it's simply a case of all players and clubs choosing their preferred path.

Yes Pottsy but the market has been flooded with some unbelievable RFL offers

#50 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

So you want everyone to keep quiet while the RFL and it's paid disciples go around preaching everything BARLA/Winter is bad etc

Look at it step by step, starting with service area kids being told where and when to play, then look at the clubs who are reporting they are in favour of summer, also take a look at which clubs have been getting the unbelievable offers and I bet most roads lead to Rome & NCL committee.

Edited by Marauder, 31 August 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#51 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is there any proof that clubs have been coerced? And, if so, what sort of figures are we actually talking about?

It all sounds a big dramatic to me.

Either way, I stick by my original point: why stress over what other clubs are doing? Just be happy with your own choices and leave them to it.

Edited by Pottsy, 31 August 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

The main idea of this thread is that there are a lot of people who feel very strongly about this debate and understandably want to keep talking about it.  This is a place where we'd prefer it's done while leaving other threads alone for other subjects.  That way, those who don't want to keep hearing about it can do so while still being an active part of the forum.

As mentioned by others, if you don't want to read the thread then don't.  Much like if you don't like something on telly, switch channels.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#53 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Is there any proof that clubs have been coerced? And, if so, what sort of figures are we actually talking about?

Either way, I stick by my original point: why stress over what other clubs are doing? Just be happy with your own choices and leave them to it.

There's no written documentation to back this up but in the North West the RFL through certain officials were contacting clubs and strategically used a whispering campaign which ultimately saw teams in their droves leave the NWC ARL mid season to join a new RFL summer league.

Ironically, now it seems that there is an ageement forming within the northwest, for a "non conflicting" cross-over period between the RFL and NWC ARL. Now why didn't someone think of that before. 

It may be the synic in me but this coincides with Ron Girvin being installed as President of North West Rugby League - where did that position come from - and son Neil being given a paid position with the RFL as a competition manager. This may also be a change in the RFL strategy to commence support for the winter game.

#54 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

President of the North West bit like the complaints department on the "Carlsberg advert "

#55 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

There's no written documentation to back this up but in the North West the RFL through certain officials were contacting clubs and strategically used a whispering campaign which ultimately saw teams in their droves leave the NWC ARL mid season to join a new RFL summer league.

Ironically, now it seems that there is an ageement forming within the northwest, for a "non conflicting" cross-over period between the RFL and NWC ARL. Now why didn't someone think of that before.

It may be the synic in me but this coincides with Ron Girvin being installed as President of North West Rugby League - where did that position come from - and son Neil being given a paid position with the RFL as a competition manager. This may also be a change in the RFL strategy to commence support for the winter game.

Is that the "redoubtable Ron Girvin" who I keep reading about.

Too much of the grassroots game is about personalities, egos and empire building.

#56 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Is that the "redoubtable Ron Girvin" who I keep reading about.

Too much of the grassroots game is about personalities, egos and empire building.

Yes it is indeed the same Ron Girvin who is undoubtably worthy of anyone's respect.

The point that I was making is not one of personalties or egos, as I'm sure that Ron and his family have always viewed their work in the game as a labour of love, but about the RFL giving those little sweeteners to prise their way into any particular entity that they need to inhabit

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 31 August 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#57 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

How many of Tims juniors got directed to the Hillsborough Hawks (Sheff Eagles chosen club) we lost two halves of teams to Donny Toll Bar (Donny chosen club) Hoyland lost players to the Hawks as well - It is dramatic when teams at other clubs have to fold.

#58 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

How many of Tims juniors got directed to the Hillsborough Hawks (Sheff Eagles chosen club) we lost two halves of teams to Donny Toll Bar (Donny chosen club) Hoyland lost players to the Hawks as well - It is dramatic when teams at other clubs have to fold.

They were my juniors too, Jim, but it wasn't the RFL doing the coercing.

#59 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yes it is indeed the same Ron Girvin who is undoubtably worthy of anyone's respect.

The point that I was making is not one of personalties or egos, as I'm sure that Ron and his family have always viewed their work in the game as a labour of love, but about the RFL giving those little sweeteners to prise their way into any particular entity that they need to inhabit

Why do you seem to be implying that the Girvins' integrity is being compromised then?

#60 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Why do you seem to be implying that the Girvins' integrity is being compromised then?

Completely wrong with that one Pottsy - it's the RFL's integrity that is in question