Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer/Winter debate

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#61 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Completely wrong with that one Pottsy - it's the RFL's integrity that is in question

Why? Because they've taken the opportunity to work with a family with decades of experience running the comp in the northwest?

#62 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Why? Because they've taken the opportunity to work with a family with decades of experience running the comp in the northwest?

Yes after almost closing the league down two years ago

#63 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Yes after almost closing the league down two years ago

Do you not accept there's a bit of a double standard in your argument though?

#64 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

How many of Tims juniors got directed to the Hillsborough Hawks (Sheff Eagles chosen club) we lost two halves of teams to Donny Toll Bar (Donny chosen club) Hoyland lost players to the Hawks as well - It is dramatic when teams at other clubs have to fold.

Just a simple question where do you get your players from.

#65 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think Jim is referring to a problem that is very distinct to South Yorks/North Derbyshire

#66 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Do you not accept there's a bit of a double standard in your argument though?

No

#67 Boo

Boo
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

like i said it's pointless. you might as well debate on what came first the chicken or the egg rather than winter/summer rugby, there's a better chance of coming to a answer and everyone agreeing on the same answer

#68 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

like i said it's pointless. you might as well debate on what came first the chicken or the egg rather than winter/summer rugby, there's a better chance of coming to a answer and everyone agreeing on the same answer

Although it is indeterminate which animal was the first chicken, the question of whether the chicken or the chicken egg came first has a determinate answer. Since an animal does not evolve into another species during its lifetime, and since organisms can fail to breed true, it is biologically necessary that the chicken egg came first.

That is unless the RFL see things differently

#69 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

All local lads from Moorends, Thorne, Stainforth and 2 travel from Pontefract who are 2nd team players

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#70 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think Jim is referring to a problem that is very distinct to South Yorks/North Derbyshire

It did also happen at other service areas as well mate, the idea on paper was/is probably a good one but in reality it had teams at growing clubs fold.

#71 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Positive news in the the North West all five leagues met today to see how we can take the region forward ,working together to fully embrace the four seasons concept .

Plenty of food for thought but the main thing is we are all going to work more as a unit to promote the game in the north west .

#72 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Positive news in the the North West all five leagues met today to see how we can take the region forward ,working together to fully embrace the four seasons concept .

Plenty of food for thought but the main thing is we are all going to work more as a unit to promote the game in the north west .

Excellent news Taxi, I hear that the new chair of the NW Mens' league is promising a non conflicting crossover with summer/winter. Was the progression in ascending age groups to open age a discussion point

#73 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

From cubs to masters we are looking at the bigger picture , all small cogs in a big wheel .

You know what they say Nev it's good to talk .

#74 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

How does the song go?

"Its a new Light, its a new day, Its a new dawn", but were not feeling blue :yahoo:

Edited by Wilber, 03 September 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#75 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

How does the song go?

"Its a new Light, its a new day, Its a new dawn", but were not feeling blue :yahoo:

What's your view on the Operational Rules Wilber?

#76 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

What's your view on the Operational Rules Wilber?

Wrong thread

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#77 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Straight back on thread, sort of

My concern has always been for the game, the Winter/Summer debate has a lot of off shoots that need to be tied back in and the operational rules are included in the whole debate.

Whilst myself, NWML, and NWC work around issue of bringing the game back together in the north west we are mindful that at the same time we need to align our rules so we first do not conflict and second move forward for a more sustainable competition regardless of when the rugby is played, this will probably marry with the operational rules?

I have conceded on many occasion that the rules are a template and it is only a couple of items that need to be amended but that is the decision of the clubs and leagues to agree. The majority of the rules are fine, I sit on the regulatory group and we do know some will have to change.

We all know mistakes have happened, regardless where blame lies! so what we need to do is stop this whole Winter/Summer debate and agree how best we get as many people playing the best sport in the world, the only way you do that is by putting your political differences aside and work together to move the game forward.

I am also always mindful that clubs vote with their feet so our ultimate challenge is to ensure there is a generic competition regardless of what time of year they want to play you can only do this under one set of rules. You won't find me telling any club they have to play here and there I'm always where and when and I think that's the kind of attitude we need from everyone.

Time is now right to stop pointing fingers and start to fix, we in the north west have started is everyone else going to do it?

Stuart

#78 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think this is a great start.  Everybody round the same table will help with all matters, its good that the five league are getting together as one

#79 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

#80 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

York Acorn `A` where a cracking side 3 years ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users