Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer/Winter debate

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#81 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

No crisis at the Milford club One game missed does not make a crisis our Reserves  missed more games when we played in the winter season by the way the game we missed was last weekend and if we was still playing in the winter league it would have been our 1st game of the season  we would still have had to call it off due to players been on a holiday. 

#82 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

Late August/ beginning of September is start of winter season is it not?

#83 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Er, wouldn't those clubs be playing 'winter rugby' at this stage anyway? Just saying.

#84 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

Yes but they are the result of a summer season that many have voted with their feet and stopped playing that's the point you and many others are failing to grasp.

Open age rugby is in decline and unless we find a sensible solution we may never get it back, and yes winter rugby also has its problems .

#85 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Open Age Amatuer Rugby League is definately on the decline without a shadow of a doubt! The move to summer in my opinion has greatly accelerated this decline.

The big question is - What are WE going to do to prevent further decline and wherever possible reverse this decline?

When i say WE i mean everyone involved in our sport!!!  From the very top at the RFL, The NCL, BARLA etc, etc, all the silly and pointless petty politics will NOT sort out this problem and thats a FACT!

Its time NOW for some serious across the board discussions involving all interested parties fail to do this and we are doomed.

Those at the RFL need to realise that not all kids can go on and play the pro game and that these players need to have an avenue to be directed down, they also need to realise that not all kids are ready to sign pro at 16 either! (and below in some case).

we also need to be selling to the players the benefits of playing amatuer open age rugby league - fitness, social activities, friendships, travel, representative honours etc,etc,etc and perhaps also throwing in a decent insurance policy rather than the "third party fire & theft" policy thats currently in place that does not cover injuries that may mean that they are off work for 2-6 weeks or so. 

Their is so much more that WE could ALL do if WE were united rather than the fragmented mess that seems to be at the moment.

And before anyone asks - yes i have passed on my thoughts to our NCL representative with the hope that he does raise my concerns at the next meeting!

#86 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Open Age Amatuer Rugby League is definately on the decline without a shadow of a doubt! The move to summer in my opinion has greatly accelerated this decline.

The big question is - What are WE going to do to prevent further decline and wherever possible reverse this decline?

When i say WE i mean everyone involved in our sport!!!  From the very top at the RFL, The NCL, BARLA etc, etc, all the silly and pointless petty politics will NOT sort out this problem and thats a FACT!

Its time NOW for some serious across the board discussions involving all interested parties fail to do this and we are doomed.

Those at the RFL need to realise that not all kids can go on and play the pro game and that these players need to have an avenue to be directed down, they also need to realise that not all kids are ready to sign pro at 16 either! (and below in some case).

we also need to be selling to the players the benefits of playing amatuer open age rugby league - fitness, social activities, friendships, travel, representative honours etc,etc,etc and perhaps also throwing in a decent insurance policy rather than the "third party fire & theft" policy thats currently in place that does not cover injuries that may mean that they are off work for 2-6 weeks or so. 

Their is so much more that WE could ALL do if WE were united rather than the fragmented mess that seems to be at the moment.

And before anyone asks - yes i have passed on my thoughts to our NCL representative with the hope that he does raise my concerns at the next meeting!

What they need to realise as well if you take 3 or 4 good kids away from their unfashionable team and send them to the chosen elite team the unfashionable team tends to fold loosing maybe 10 players from the game per folded team.

The withdrawal of development officers was a real gem of a decision by the leaders of the game and surely pointed out that they haven't a clue

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#87 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yes but they are the result of a summer season that many have voted with their feet and stopped playing that's the point you and many others are failing to grasp.

Open age rugby is in decline and unless we find a sensible solution we may never get it back, and yes winter rugby also has its problems .

I'm ambivalent on the whole issue; I'm just tired of people on both sides being selective in their choice of 'evidence'

#88 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm ambivalent on the whole issue; I'm just tired of people on both sides being selective in their choice of 'evidence'

There wasn't a problem until one side decided to start using buying/stealing/inventing/deception tactics.

#89 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

There wasn't a problem until one side decided to start using buying/stealing/inventing/deception tactics.

You're all as bad as each other, Jim, and I think some committee types in rugby league (and all sports, I'm sure) thrive on these silly little power games.

It's tedious, juvenile and does the game no favours.

#90 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

You're all as bad as each other, Jim, and I think some committee types in rugby league (and all sports, I'm sure) thrive on these silly little power games.

It's tedious, juvenile and does the game no favours.

So when did this problem start in the amateur game.

#91 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

It's been there for as long as I can remember. Hence the fact that the game struggled to broaden its footprint for over a century.

We are and have always been the sporting equivalent of Royston Vasey!

#92 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

RL needs to get over the amateur bit first. Union did it in 1995. The trouble the game causes itself by maintaining the distinction is a major problem in itself in my opinion.

Once we get that monkey off our back we may be able to move forward as a sport.

#93 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

RL needs to get over the amateur bit first. Union did it in 1995. The trouble the game causes itself by maintaining the distinction is a major problem in itself in my opinion.

Once we get that monkey off our back we may be able to move forward as a sport.

Amen to that, why do we need artificial distinctions and divisions?
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#94 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Think its because most of us want a level playing field .

#95 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Impossible to get a level playing field. Money is just one of countless factors that will advantage some clubs over others. If no teams pay players they aren't all suddenly operating on a level playing field.

#96 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Whereas others just want people to be able to get on with playing rugby league regardless of whether or not their team reimburses them. If a team can afford to do this because they are well run then they deserve the success it might bring.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#97 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Whereas others just want people to be able to get on with playing rugby league regardless of whether or not their team reimburses them. If a team can afford to do this because they are well run then they deserve the success it might bring.

The facts are there to be seen, over the last two years there has been a large reduction in the number of players at open-age, junior and youth levels playing the game, is this a coincidence ?

#98 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

The facts are there to be seen, over the last two years there has been a large reduction in the number of players at open-age, junior and youth levels playing the game, is this a coincidence ?

Not being awkward, but coincidence with what. Paying players?

#99 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

The facts are there to be seen, over the last two years there has been a large reduction in the number of players at open-age, junior and youth levels playing the game, is this a coincidence ?

Whilst this is sad, I don't see the connection

#100 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

Not being awkward, but coincidence with what. Paying players?

It's a summer/winter debate not a pay or not to pay debate and the coincidence with the reduction in people playing the sport and the switch from winter to summer.

I think the level playing field quote wasn't really aimed at allowing payments to players either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users