Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Summer/Winter debate

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#141 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Quote from the horses mouth from less than 2years ago Feb 2012 just in case anyone forgets what the move to summer would bring to our great game!

"Chief Executive Nigel Wood believes Rugby League stands on the verge of the most exciting chapter in its history as the sport prepares to embrace all the benefits of summer rugby with a new integrated structure.

This is a momentous occasion for Rugby League with the whole sport finally fitting together under one pyramid structure which has positive implications for the future,” said Wood.

“This means that youngsters will play their entire careers in better conditions which are more suitable for modern Rugby League with all the benefits this brings for skill development and, more importantly, for enjoyment of the game.

“The changes will result in an increase in the number of people playing Rugby League, which is an objective everyone in the sport is working towards.

“More participants means we will produce more high quality players, thus benefitting the national team in the long term.

“There will be more opportunities for more people to play Rugby League across the country in a structure which allows all clubs and players the chance to progress to be the best they possibly can be.”

How lucky are we that the future of our game is in such good hands!!

#142 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

lets hope someone doesn't start going through the results for the winter rugby and picking out unfulfilled fixtures ,  

If you check on the Pennine website they OPENLY display the teams who fail to fulfil a fixture, no hiding the truth, no make believe teams, no make believe results, no ###### and probably no sunshine.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#143 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Rugby League would not exist in my region if were not for summer rugby. Union is dominant and League is played in the union off season with a slight overlap of maybe 1 or 2 weeks.

#144 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Four seasons

#145 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

I take my hat off to people like you who struggle to keep the RL flag flying in areas like yours and I do apologise for appearing negative

I may say looking at the Midlands RL website that for all the years the league has been going it is very slow progress, not many teams and I do not see how a season running from May to August is progress, with some teams only playing 2-4 fixtures, in my view are the union lads just using it as a way of keeping fit

That is unless the website is not up to date

#146 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

The website is up to date, that must be the merit league you were looking at. There are ten teams in the Midlands premier league.

#147 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yes Premier consists of 10 teams, home and a way you would have thought 18 games but they play only 12 is that all the games that can be fitted in during the Rugby union off season.
Looking at the Sports Participation on one of the other threads the Midlands area of RU has seen a big decline, have they come to RL?
I would also say success would mean running the midlands league from March to October alongside the NCL with a chance of promotion to this competition

#148 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

I'm in the north east, we have 22 clubs. I'm not sure how the long the NERL has been going however I am told in recent weeks:-

"At the North East Rugby League AGM in November it was unanimously passed that North East Rugby League would become an RFL Member League. As part of this the current structures would dissolve and a new North East Management Group would be formed, consisting of a Chairperson and 3 club representatives, as well as 2 members from the RFL."

I am pretty sure that the majority of clubs in our region are made up from mainly Union lads who wish to continue playing through summer. Our own club, Darlington, is a dual code club but our League side is made up mainly our union lads. However all of us including the union lads do take it seriously and don't just treat it as "something to do in summer". In our first season last year we won the league leaders shield so that is encouraging for us going into this year. A big advantage we have is that we have the full backing of the union club and we are not a league side renting facilities from a union club, we are a dual code club.

#149 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

I would also say success would mean running the midlands league from March to October alongside the NCL with a chance of promotion to this competition

Why would you say that?
You cannot get promotion to the NCL, you have to apply as Coventry Bears did.

#150 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

My apologies I thought Derby

And I understand where the RU club are coming from as this will create revenue all year round. I would still say progress would be a league running alongside the NCL From March to October i would suspect the few players who like RL and are good at it may be tempted to go to Peterlee to progress their standard of play

#151 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

My apologies I thought Derby
And I understand where the RU club are coming from as this will create revenue all year round. I would still say progress would be a league running alongside the NCL From March to October i would suspect the few players who like RL and are good at it may be tempted to go to Peterlee to progress their standard of play

Yeah Peterlee are doing a great job taking RL forward in the region. Out of our squad I can think of maybe 3 lads that play RL only and don't play union. There were some more but they have stayed with us to play union as well.

#152 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

I understand you have to apply to join the NCL and meet the criteria (but that is a different subject)

But having leagues in the NE, London, Scotland, Midlands playing march to September with natural chance of promotion would to me be progress, but if the leagues only run May to August with part time players this to me is not the game expanding
This is what happens in RU and Football

#153 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

I understand you have to apply to join the NCL and meet the criteria (but that is a different subject)
But having leagues in the NE, London, Scotland, Midlands playing march to September with natural chance of promotion would to me be progress, but if the leagues only run May to August with part time players this to me is not the game expanding
This is what happens in RU and Football

It runs April to August up here but yes you are right it's not really expanding, and I don't think it will in the North East. In my opinion League will have to be content with playing second fiddle to union, it pains me to say that but I'm afraid that is the harsh truth. To that end I just enjoy League while I can through the summer months.

#154 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Rugby League would not exist in my region if were not for summer rugby. Union is dominant and League is played in the union off season with a slight overlap of maybe 1 or 2 weeks.

Go and get a few tips from Rob Laverick up the road at Peterlee

#155 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Go and get a few tips from Rob Laverick up the road at Peterlee

I know Rob, they've done a great job at Peterlee as said above.

#156 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I would suspect the few players who like RL and are good at it may be tempted to go to Peterlee to progress their standard of play

Peterlee is 40+ miles away from Darlington so a bit of a travel 2-3 times a week.

#157 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

I know Rob, they've done a great job at Peterlee as said above.

I'm not surprised that you know Rob and appreciate his efforts, for me he should be in the New Years honours

#158 DRLFC

DRLFC
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

I'm not surprised that you know Rob and appreciate his efforts, for me he should be in the New Years honours

He was the first person I contacted a couple of years ago when I wanted to play League, way before we set up our own side at Darlington. Unfortunately I didn't play for Peterlee due to the distance and joined a team closer to home. However, Rob has give me and some other guys at our club some great advice, decent guy.

Edited by DRLFC, 05 January 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#159 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

I take my hat off to people like you who struggle to keep the RL flag flying in areas like yours and I do apologise for appearing negative

I may say looking at the Midlands RL website that for all the years the league has been going it is very slow progress, not many teams and I do not see how a season running from May to August is progress, with some teams only playing 2-4 fixtures, in my view are the union lads just using it as a way of keeping fit

That is unless the website is not up to date

The top 4 clubs (Coventry, Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton) have progressed from the MRL to a higher level where they do play a longer season (though of those teams Northampton Demons are taking a step back to the local league) so there has been progress at the top end. I agree RU off season isn't as good as full season expansion though. Believe me the game is head and shoulders above where it was 5 years ago but unfortunately the junior game took a massive turn for the worse last season (a mixture of loss of Sport England money plus the creation of an academy taking the best players)

Edited by bowes, 05 January 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#160 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

He was the first person I contacted a couple of years ago when I wanted to play League, way before we set up our own side at Darlington. Unfortunately I didn't play for Peterlee due to the distance and joined a team closer to home. However, Rob has give me and some other guys at our club some great advice, decent guy.

I totally agree with your comments, Rob seems to be a lad who would offer help in any way that he could. All the best with your club at Darlington I'll keep an eye on your results and any news in your neck of the woods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users