Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The price of a cyclist's life: 240 hours unpaid work

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#101 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Well, we could introduce a cycling licence.  And cycling tests.

Bit like a driving licence.  And driving tests.

How would you know if a cyclist didn't have a licence? Who is going to pay for it?
Fides invicta triumphat

#102 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

How would you know if a cyclist didn't have a licence? Who is going to pay for it?

It's victim blaming anyway.

The country would be a safer, healthier place if people in cars drove with greater awareness and in line with the easy-to-follow rules already in place.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#103 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Ask him.  Bit like the police ask to see drivers' licences.

Cyclists.  Could be a good fundraiser.  I'd set the fee at, say, couple of grand a year.

Surely this isn't all that difficult a concept ?  Not like we haven't had licences for things before.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#104 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ask him.  Bit like the police ask to see drivers' licences.

Cyclists.  Could be a good fundraiser.  I'd set the fee at, say, couple of grand a year.

Surely this isn't all that difficult a concept ?  Not like we haven't had licences for things before.

As you can imagine I am against licences for cyclists, not because it would affect me just that it would be too difficult to implement and enforce and the costs would outweigh the benefits. One of the main benefits of cycling is that it is a cheap means of transportation and I wouldn't want to charge people who can't afford a car or public transport. Also I'm assuming that this would mean an age limit to those who are allowed on the roads with their bike, who sets this?

A far simpler solution to this problem is to educate car drivers.
Fides invicta triumphat

#105 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've seen some right idiots on bike on shared use paths. On shared use paths I tend to ride slowly for the reasons you and Ray mentioned. But on my regular commute I've seen bikes treat them as they would a cycle lane.

Shared pathways are indeed dangerous. The walk in question alongside the River Mersey is popular for families with young children because of the play areas. I'm afraid many cyclists go down it at speed without any warnings.  

#106 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

As you can imagine I am against licences for cyclists, not because it would affect me just that it would be too difficult to implement and enforce and the costs would outweigh the benefits. One of the main benefits of cycling is that it is a cheap means of transportation and I wouldn't want to charge people who can't afford a car or public transport. Also I'm assuming that this would mean an age limit to those who are allowed on the roads with their bike, who sets this?

A far simpler solution to this problem is to educate car drivers.

Yet it's cyclists who are allowed on the roads with no training whatsoever.

Makes no sense, Severus.

#107 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ok some cyclist are ignorant and impatient but does that mean that you can run them down.

Basically are we saying that being an idiot deserves the death penalty

Edit in the original case there was never any suggestion that the cyclist involved was at fault in any way

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 30 August 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#108 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Ok some cyclist are ignorant and impatient but does that mean that you can run them down.

Basically are we saying that being an idiot deserves the death penalty

Of course not - this is about educating cyclists to ride safely.  They're very vulnerable, yet sometimes they want to be treated as vehicles and sometimes as pedestrians.

#109 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Of course not - this is about educating cyclists to ride safely. They're very vulnerable, yet sometimes they want to be treated as vehicles and sometimes as pedestrians.

I agree with what you are saying (and always ride that way).

However there are idiots in all walks of life and sensible people have to make allowances for that.

#110 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Of course not - this is about educating cyclists to ride safely. They're very vulnerable, yet sometimes they want to be treated as vehicles and sometimes as pedestrians.

And yet in about 2/3 of cases it's the motorist at fault in occasion.

Of the remaining 1/3 the majority are no blame.

Still, better train those cyclists.
- Severus, July 2012

#111 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

There is an excellent cycle track on a road not far from where I live yet people still cycle on the busy road. Like someone has said, there are idiots that use all forms of transport. 

#112 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

And yet in about 2/3 of cases it's the motorist at fault in occasion.

Of the remaining 1/3 the majority are no blame.

Still, better train those cyclists.

1. Where have you got those figures from ?

2. If I didn't take avoiding action, I'd mow down a dozen cyclists a year.

You're living in a dream world, jon.

#113 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

They're from Transport for London's analysis of incident reports, court cases etc.

At least once a week I have to take evasive action as a cyclist to avoid a motor vehicle doing something daft.  As a pedestrian it's more than that - often as basic as someone on a phone not noticing they should stop for a zebra crossing.  As a motorist I've had to take evasive action to avoid killing a cyclist twice, to avoid hitting another car ... well, a lot more than that.

- Severus, July 2012

#114 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

They're from Transport for London's analysis of incident reports, court cases etc.

At least once a week I have to take evasive action as a cyclist to avoid a motor vehicle doing something daft. As a pedestrian it's more than that - often as basic as someone on a phone not noticing they should stop for a zebra crossing. As a motorist I've had to take evasive action to avoid killing a cyclist twice, to avoid hitting another car ... well, a lot more than that.

This.

Although it will not change my voting patterns on photo threads.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#115 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

At least once a week I have to take evasive action as a cyclist to avoid a motor vehicle doing something daft.  As a pedestrian it's more than that - often as basic as someone on a phone not noticing they should stop for a zebra crossing.  As a motorist I've had to take evasive action to avoid killing a cyclist twice, to avoid hitting another car ... well, a lot more than that.

That rings true.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#116 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think we may be back to the original point, if people got custiodal sentences for a 'momentary lapse in concentration' then people would concentrate a lot more. Just like the automatic 'draconian' 12 month ban for driving whilst having one too many drinks.

Lets face it no matter how idiotoc or arrogant a cyclist or a pedestrian behaves it does not warrent a death sentence.

But back to the original post I'll ask again how many people think the cyclist was in any way at fault?

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 30 August 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#117 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

There is an excellent cycle track on a road not far from where I live yet people still cycle on the busy road. Like someone has said, there are idiots that use all forms of transport.

Saint I presume you are referring to the Rainford by pass 'cycle' track which is use by cyclists, runners, walkers, dog walkers etc. as a cyclist it it probably safer to cycle on the main carriageway than the track since that way you will not have to avoid pedestrians. And you have right of way at junctions.

That cycle track has give way marking on every junction, even tracks leading to a a farm shop. now as a cyclist if you are traveling in the same direction of the traffic, how can you safely give way to traffic coming up directly behind you?

Genuine question I would be grateful for an answer.

#118 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Many cycle tracks aren't fit for purpose, are filled with debris/glass etc. and merge dangerously into normal roads. I tend to avoid them in these cases.
Fides invicta triumphat

#119 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

Yet it's cyclists who are allowed on the roads with no training whatsoever.

Makes no sense, Severus.

No training is going a bit far. Cycle training goes on in schools and should be taught by parents when buying their child a bike. But a formal driving style test is just too difficult to implement.
Fides invicta triumphat

#120 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Many cycle tracks aren't fit for purpose, are filled with debris/glass etc. and merge dangerously into normal roads. I tend to avoid them in these cases.

This is my favourite from recent days.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users