Fev v Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

The big winner must surely have been the bonus point system last night!

Great game, had just about everything and was played at a very fast tempo which I think was ultimately sheffield's undoing.

Up the chuffing Rovers!

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#22 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

For me, it reminded me of the old days, and had all the characteristics of a title decider, yet in the grand scheme of things meant nothing other than one of them will pick up a meaningless trophy on sunday results pending - a great advert for the championship and was as good as anything served up in the top flight this season.

I like the play offs, but id like to at least see the champions automatically go into the grand final, would make it far more meaningful.

Many Super league games are as dull as dishwater as theres nothing to realistically play for for a lot of clubs from certain points of the season onwards, look at the championship - this weekend is a real hum dinger with a relegation scrap and 4 sides fighting to stya up, providing all the last day emotion and drama that makes sport great.

Lets hope the restructure makes is fair on all teams and brings back the excitement at both ends of the tables and get RL in the UK at all levels buzzing again.

it could also decide who gets to play at home in the playoffs, but it's not finished yet, some more nailbiters this weekend.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

I like the play offs, but id like to at least see the champions automatically go into the grand final, would make it far more meaningful.

And wait three or four weeks for a game ?  Not sure many coaches would be chuffed with that idea.  Oldham are arranging friendlies to pass the time on.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#24 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yes, it "belongs" to the team who've won less matches

Oh the irony of a Sheffield fan bemoaning the bonus point system.
Fwiw I can't abide the bp system but that's what we have. Under this system it made for a fabulous game last night.
Previous season Sheffield' league position has been elevated as a result of the bp system
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#25 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Oh the irony of a Sheffield fan bemoaning the bonus point system.
Fwiw I can't abide the bp system but that's what we have. Under this system it made for a fabulous game last night.
Previous season Sheffield' league position has been elevated as a result of the bp system

Them's the rules.  We all knew them at the start of the season.

If you don't like them, lobby your club to get them changed at the next RFL meeting.

WCE might like to consider that winning a Championship by winning less games happens quite often in soccer, where there are more draws than in our game.  I don't recall anyone saying that was daft or calling for positions to be based on wins alone, with draws as a tiebreak.

And he may also like to ponder on how Sheffield got so far behind on points difference, despite winning more games.

#26 Birchy

Birchy
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

God griff your posts are so boring.

UP THE ROVERS!

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

And fev get to the under 20's final too after beating york last night.
Turning into a good week for rovers

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

God griff your posts are so boring.

.... as opposed to the excitement of the above ?

Yes, I can see that. :laugh:

#29 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

Don't forget London junior Lamont Bryan as well.

Just to flip it round a bit, some on here reckon Londoners won't come ooop t'north to play the game, explain.

Massive difference between a seasoned well respected pro who isn't taking a chance moving north and a kid.

Explain why this isn't obvious to you?

#30 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

....... yet in the grand scheme of things meant nothing other than one of them will pick up a meaningless trophy on sunday results pending - a great advert for the championship and was as good as anything served up in the top flight this season...

Well I agree it isn't as important as a grand final... but I would much rather win a league trophy than not win it.  Plus it certainly doesn't help if we the fans demean it too.... Ok with regards banter between fans but we shouldn't demean it so much.  Its a good achievement and better that having nothing to show for a season of sporting hard work and prowess...

#31 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yes, it "belongs" to the team who've won less matches.

Which team would that be owd cock?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#32 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

If only people would wait until the competition's over before warrioring their keyboards, eh ?

#33 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

OK, it belongs to the team who has the better points difference. Fev and Sheffield won the same number of matches.

Fev timed their run brilliantly and deserve to take the League Leaders shield. Well done.

I was irritated the other night, but as I pointed out on another thread I predicted months ago that the Eagles would run out of gas towards the end of the season. I've been proven right. It's still been a good season for us, though. Second despite spending less cash than those around us.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

OK, it belongs to the team who has the better points difference. Fev and Sheffield won the same number of matches.

Fev timed their run brilliantly and deserve to take the League Leaders shield. Well done.

I was irritated the other night, but as I pointed out on another thread I predicted months ago that the Eagles would run out of gas towards the end of the season. I've been proven right. It's still been a good season for us, though. Second despite spending less cash than those around us.

Too many games, pal.

Up from 22 to 26 for no reason whatsoever this year.  Obviously the penny's not dropped because we're reportedly upgrading that to 30 next year.  Maybe these folk on the Council need to be playing prop to help out during a fixture pile-up.  Might get some sensible decisions then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users