Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Review

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Sadly the Knights have come up short and have been relegated. I thought a thread to discuss what ultimately turned out to a disappointing season should be started. As we know the contracts the players signed are now null and void and the exodus of the "better" players will begin. Who would you want to resign? Would a change of coach help? Should we go with the majority of the under 20s with a few experienced players in key positions?

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Jack Lee, Sam Scott, Dougie Flockhart (where has he gone), Ben Johnston.

May I draw attention to this image I posted earlier in the year NO2yu2L.png

Since then we have played 15, won 2, lost 13.

What went wrong?

It's time to park the camels.

SQL 2014 League Leader

#3 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Jack Lee, Sam Scott, Dougie Flockhart (where has he gone), Ben Johnston.

May I draw attention to this image I posted earlier in the year NO2yu2L.png
Since then we have played 15, won 2, lost 13.
What went wrong?

Think Lee and Scott will be gone as they're two of the better players who will get into the 17 at the majority of Championship sides. Flockhart is back playing kick and clap. As for what went wrong? Think the Fev game gave us massive hope but this was just a blip on what was a poor season

#4 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Gutted you guys could not stay up. You lot started the season brightly and looked to be heading for play offs at one point but fell away bad.
Hope you guys can recover from this and come back stronger will defo miss a good weekend away in York good luck guys Dewsbury fan.

#5 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Take the target off Thornton's back - regardless of what the bulldoggers will be spouting very shortly, it's not a coaching issue.

We had a team destined for playoffs and NRC glory before the first friendly - then...

Negotiations broke down with major signings

Players we thought we had decided not to bother playing anymore, anywhere, rather than come to York

Injuries left right and centre to key players effectively taking them out of the season

Quality player being left out for Hull players who couldn't be bothered, then that player leaving for an Amateur club rather than staying on in a different position

Bans to gobby playmakers

Unhappy Hull players throwing games

Hull silently withdrawing from their DR contract when we needed it the most

a lack of admin staff

getting sued scaring the hell out of players and fans

Some seriously dodgy reffing calls - I mean... honestly, that really cost us.

I blame that lot above. Never blame our players.

#6 steve56

steve56
  • Coach
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

It's been absolutely awful for at least 3 years now,hardly any wins,fans walking away in their droves and an almost inevitability that this would eventually happen.Strong leadership now required from the top echelons of the club to turn it around.

We simply don't compete at this level!

Not a good time to be a York City Knights supporter.

As for the players,wouldn't keep any of them after this season.

#7 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

yeah and on top of that the players were not good enough,much as they tried.

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#8 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

It's been absolutely awful for at least 3 years now,hardly any wins,fans walking away in their droves and an almost inevitability that this would eventually happen.Strong leadership now required from the top echelons of the club to turn it around.

We simply don't compete at this level!

Not a good time to be a York City Knights supporter.

As for the players,wouldn't keep any of them after this season.

the team asembled for this  season should have made the play-offs. indeed they were playing pretty well earlier in the season, but crowds were still down

#9 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

the team asembled for this season should have made the play-offs. indeed they were playing pretty well earlier in the season, but crowds were still down

I think the stay away fans adopted a wait and see policy given the results from the previous two seasons and when results returned to type, well that was that. I agree that we had a team capable of challenging for 7th or 8th. But where does the buck stop?

#10 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

the team asembled for this  season should have made the play-offs. indeed they were playing pretty well earlier in the season, but crowds were still down

Yes.

Not the players.

#11 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I think the stay away fans adopted a wait and see policy given the results from the previous two seasons and when results returned to type, well that was that. I agree that we had a team capable of challenging for 7th or 8th. But where does the buck stop?

dual reg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

dual reg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, think we were taken for mugs by Hull, but that's not the sole reason we find ourselves relegated

#13 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Indeed, think we were taken for mugs by Hull, but that's not the sole reason we find ourselves relegated

mostly it is.other teams were offered better players, and the ones we were offered didn't want to know with the exception of young briscoe. i said the system was ######, and so it proved

#14 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

There must be something or rather lack of something (I don't know) off the field because the confidence was so low etcetc.

SQL 2014 League Leader

#15 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

mostly it is.other teams were offered better players, and the ones we were offered didn't want to know with the exception of young briscoe. i said the system was ######, and so it proved

You didnt have to play them.

Edited by buford t justice, 28 August 2013 - 09:38 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#16 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

oh, i think you will find out we did , because it was in the interests of hull

#17 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

oh, i think you will find out we did , because it was in the interests of hull

Which is the correct answer, when you sip with the devil make sure you've got a long spoon

#18 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Go to bed. We can sort our own problems. We don't need you hear saying 'you told us so' when we appointed GT.

Although I do propose we start a Knights revolution on the Batley board when they crash out of the playoffs, bless 'em.

SQL 2014 League Leader

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Speaking as a fan, this has without doubt been the most frustrating season I have ever seen.

Posted Image

#20 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Speaking as a fan, this has without doubt been the most frustrating season I have ever seen.

can you put your finger on it then gav?