TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Season Review

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

can you put your finger on it then gav?

I've put my thoughts on twitter.

Posted Image

#22 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Speaking as a fan, this has without doubt been the most frustrating season I have ever seen.

Agreed it promised so much but delivered so little, which incidentally is what my wife said to me on our wedding night

#23 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Low confidence, low fitness, silly errors, idiotic decision making, inability to keep calm, inability to play for 80 mins etc.

Some points step on themselves and there's many more you could list that would do the same.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#24 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Commiserations York - we (Swinton) are not safe yet, although confident for Sunday but can imagine how you feel - good luck for next season

#25 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Writings been on the wall really hasn't it, saved by Barrow getting points deducted, saved by no relegation. The luck had to run out somewhere. Anyway, bed now.

Did like Simons tweet though "I remember Fev going down in 2006. Look how they bounced back."

2014 SQL League Leader

#26 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

Commiserations York - we (Swinton) are not safe yet, although confident for Sunday but can imagine how you feel - good luck for next season

Siure Swinton will field half the Warrington squad to stay up, same as Hunslet apparently playing Danny Maguire this week in their efforts to stay up.

And if anyone actually belives that the'9 players swinton 'signed' from warrington this season are really swinton players they need to open their eyes. Tony smith is pulling the strings constantly

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#27 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

It says in the press that Thornton will be the Knights coach next season

#28 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Commiserations folks. From this distance, two games in the early part of your horror run-in - Whitehaven and Barrow at home; very winnable games which would have provided six points that would have propelled you back towards the playoffs. Instead you came up with just one which seemed to play havoc with confidence (very noticeable the other week incidentally), and the rot set in.

Best of luck for the future - hope we don't meet next season though ...

#29 KISS

KISS
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I found an article in Open Rugby Magazine from March 1980, which I will scan and put on the KISS Facebook page. It could have been written this month.

We were a First Division Club (equivilant to Super League) with an average crowd of 4,298 but were struggling to attract the better players, and our better players were attracting the attention of Hull eg. Harkin, Day, Wileman and Banks.

At the end of the season 79/80 we were relegated with Wigan

Season 80/81 we were promoted as Champions, Wigan runners up.
83/84 Challenge Cup Semi Finalists.

The players that went were replaced by Sheard, Crossley, Dobson, and from the amateur game Geoff Pryce and Graham Steadman.

Rugby League then as it is now is about the clubs with the most money being able to attract the better players, it is up to each and every supporter who wants success to contribute by direct debit to squad builder, taking part in Lancalotto, supporting the KISS events etc.

I am a "gutted" as anyone, see you on Sunday " We're York and we're proud of it "

Edited by KISS, 29 August 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#30 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

My thoughts for what is worth, which is Jack ######.....seen all but five games this season, as daft as it sounds we haven't been a million miles away from a decent side, but at this level that little gap is a telling one.
Our inability to see out games when in front has been the big factor, who many times did we see a decent lead slip away ? It seems like just every week this last few months.
We seem to let sides back into games when silly mistakes, poor decision making and some stupid discipline has cost us when we have dominated side in the opening 20-30 minutes, I'm not sure if its a fitness thing or just a lack of concentration but the amount of times we have shipped tries in just before half time and after has been alarming. You can see the players heads drop when sides get back into games and that's shown this last 10 games, the players look void of confidence.

I've acutely enjoyed the rugby played, I think Thornton has done a decent job, do we get rid now ? I'm not sure that's the answer but if he does stay he needs the full backing of us the fans and more important the people who run the club.

DR was a complete waste of time, lets take Lineham and Arundale out of this but apart from the outstanding Briscoe and the hardworkng Hadley the other Hull lads didnt give an "F" for the club, that Jamie Shaul was an embarrassment in his efforts.
At the time things looked like DR might work in our favour but in the end it was far more bother than it was worth, it turned into a farce, with the likes of Swinton fielding the likes of Briers and co, wtf is that all about. I just wish we had told Hull or any other SL club to stick it and at least kept our identity and not been bent over and shafted. How can you pick a side and not upset players that have signed for you when you don't know who Hull are prepared to release until a Thursday or Friday ? It must have had an underlining effect.

I fear for the clubs very future, it's time we got the talented York lads the corner stones of next years team, we need a couple of experienced old heads in the pack that can lead from the front as that was missing this season, we could all see it, but it's time that the vast amount of the U20's are given their heads next season.

On he playing front, who do you keep ? This is a side that for three years has been poor, results don't lie, we finished bottom for a reason, granted we had no luck but we wasn't simply good enough, our inability to close games out when the three points was there for the taking and that leadership really did cost us......oh for a Lee Jackson just to steady things make the correct calls and tell everyone what's their job is at vital times.

I'd keep Scott,Lee,Latus,Johnson,Brining,Aldous and the likes of Mallinder plus Sully if we could get him to stay one more year, the rest I'd rather have the likes of Tyler Craig and co having a bash. We need to get our identity back, one way for me is get the York lads in there something to relate too.

It's been such a disappointing end after such a promising start, but the table don't lie, we finished bottom, just got to move on and build for next season.....

Keep the faith

Edited by Andy Knight, 29 August 2013 - 08:51 AM.

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

Siure Swinton will field half the Warrington squad to stay up, same as Hunslet apparently playing Danny Maguire this week in their efforts to stay up.

And if anyone actually belives that the'9 players swinton 'signed' from warrington this season are really swinton players they need to open their eyes. Tony smith is pulling the strings constantly

If i remember rightly the difference between York and Swinton in the York home fixture was Joe Arundel and Tom Lineham!

Amazing its now 9 signed from Warrington. 

And in recent fixtures Swinton have fielded in general no more than 2 dual reg players,notably the period when our performances have dramatically improved.

Best not to throw mud to deflect from others failings.

#32 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

If youre implying that using all those Warrington players EARLIER in the season helped us you are sadly mistaken. All of our fans were pretty sick of seeing players that were not our own give a half hearted attempt every game. However our recent run of form has been due to a number of our own signings made mid-season and a massive reduction in DR players being used. The 22-0 against Barrow last game was done with, as mark stated, 2 DR players, one of which was necessary due to the one match suspension of our full-back (the way the DR system should be used). 

So as much as I cant deny what your saying has been true at some point (and it got us nowhere), it definitely will not be true on sunday.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#33 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

My post was simply one rugby league fan commiserating with fans of a relegated team - didn't realise it would be used to have a go at my team ???

#34 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Grow up you fool.

Hawkyards,Penny,Smith,Mills Brown, Samir, Ainscough, I'anson,Morrison,Watson there's eleven of our players without even trying. When we played York at the beginning of the season how many Hull players did you field that day.?

Sour grapes do taste bad I agree but your comment just makes me now realise that maybe loosing York ain't such a bad thing.

#35 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Grow up you fool.

Hawkyards,Penny,Smith,Mills Brown, Samir, Ainscough, I'anson,Morrison,Watson there's eleven of our players without even trying. When we played York at the beginning of the season how many Hull players did you field that day.?

Sour grapes do taste bad I agree but your comment just makes me now realise that maybe loosing York ain't such a bad thing.

He isn't a York fan, but thanks for making your feelings clear!

2014 SQL League Leader

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

If i remember rightly the difference between York and Swinton in the York home fixture was Joe Arundel and Tom Lineham!

Amazing its now 9 signed from Warrington. 

And in recent fixtures Swinton have fielded in general no more than 2 dual reg players,notably the period when our performances have dramatically improved.

Best not to throw mud to deflect from others failings.

He isn't a York fan.

Posted Image

#37 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

I personally am sad to see York go down, I can think of a couple of other teams id prefer, just hope we dont end up being the other team.

Im sure you will bounce straight back up.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#38 georgehadgingerhair

georgehadgingerhair
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

The pain will go in a few weeks real supporters will then be eager for next seasons team building and the start of it. Hopefully next season you will win more games and increase your following. Just hope we the Hawks don't go down but if we do I do not think it will be the end of the world like some people think. Also how about over Christmas/New Year we play each other home and away for a trophy the winner is the team who wins the aggregate score this way at least one of us will win a trophy every year. ;)

#39 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

He isn't a York fan.

Gav...sorry hes obviously a fool though. You always write thoughtful fair stuff
Good luck to you and York

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts