Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

3890 Fantastic crowd

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Can't believe Carlisle had a 6,700 away support;

#22 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Even 7000 isn't owt special with a population over half a million

#23 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

What a fantastic response to the marketing of this match; 3890 fans a great atmosphere and a fantastic game;

Great game. Good marketing had the desired effect and I thought the pitch looked good shape as well. Well done Rob.All in all Rovers day. Keep up the good work.

#24 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Great game. Good marketing had the desired effect and I thought the pitch looked good shape as well. Well done Rob.All in all Rovers day. Keep up the good work.

agree with you about the pitch Col, Rob had it in great Nick for the telly. top man

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#25 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

It's just a guess.  What's the answer ?

Griff,

I make the totals for the year at the moment as follows:

Team              #   Sum      Average

Featherstone  13   32442   2495.54

Halifax           12   20727   1727.25

Leigh             12   19031   1585.92

Sheffield         13   13152   1011.69

Barrow           12   12053   1004.42

Dewsbury       13   11897   915.15

Keighley         13   10540   810.77

Workington     13   10398   799.85

Whitehaven     12   9481    790.08

Batley            13   9985    768.08

York               12   8815    734.58

Doncaster       12   8405    700.42

Swinton          13   8842    680.15

Hunslet          12   6313    526.08

So as far as I can see Sheffield are far from the worst supported team in our league.

PS excellent support from Sheffield on Wednesday night I would have thought that there was around 200 from Sheffield, which may have includded some neutrals, but excellent all the same. Not many teams have brought more to Fev this year.

Edited by The Grinder, 30 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Batley surprisingly low in the list, for me.  I think the Yorkshire clubs' attendances are slightly bolstered by the short journeys for away fans.

Yes, Sheffield should have a much bigger following now.  We're not a new club any more, none of our players can remember there not being a Sheffield Eagles.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#27 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Batley surprisingly low in the list, for me.  I think the Yorkshire clubs' attendances are slightly bolstered by the short journeys for away fans.

Yes, Sheffield should have a much bigger following now.  We're not a new club any more, none of our players can remember there not being a Sheffield Eagles.

To be fair Griff, Sheffield are in a similar boat to Fev, and also Keighley & Batley if you think about it.

The latter 3 clubs I mentioned saw many of their supporters turn their back on the game after the debacle of 1995 when they were excluded from the top flight. The Eagles. on the other hand must have lost many fans with the Shuddersfield fiasco, who will probably never return due to mist-trust of The RFL, no matter how well their team is performing. Featherstone still have to persuade some erstwhile fans to come back to them, but I fear in Sheffield's case it would be a far bigger task.

I would have loved to see how far Keighley could have gone regarding crowd sizes back in '95? Lawkholme Lane was buzzing at the time, but when we went there last week it was a poor, delapidated place in need of a facelift. How much of this can be attributed to mistrust of the game's management?

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,453 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

To be fair Griff, Sheffield are in a similar boat to Fev, and also Keighley & Batley if you think about it.

The latter 3 clubs I mentioned saw many of their supporters turn their back on the game after the debacle of 1995 when they were excluded from the top flight. The Eagles. on the other hand must have lost many fans with the Shuddersfield fiasco, who will probably never return due to mist-trust of The RFL, no matter how well their team is performing. Featherstone still have to persuade some erstwhile fans to come back to them, but I fear in Sheffield's case it would be a far bigger task.

Maybe - but it's far too easy to generalise.  Certainly, people these days are much more mobile and if they want to watch top flight rugby, they can do.  Plenty of choice within an hour's drive of Sheffield  I suspect that clubs outside the top division in pretty much every sport except soccer will find it increasingly tough over the next thirty or forty years, to the point that there won't be any professional sport at that level.  The game will always be there so long as it can be paid for - and that might be by sponsors, spectators or - at amateur level - the players themselves.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users