Has anybody read my latest novel?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

As the the author of the novel "Two Seasons" with its background of Work, Family, Old Friends and Rugby League, I am keen to get some feedback from any people who have now read it. It is the fifth novel in a series which is inspired by a love of the game of Rugby League and equally the old saying about work that "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

Set in a fictional town in South Lancashire, they cover the period from the winter of 1962/63 up to the years 2002 and 2003.

It can be ordered through any good book shop or direct from the publisher London League Publications at www.llpshop.co.uk.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Set in a fictional town in South Lancashire, they cover the period from the winter of 1962/63 up to the years 2002 and 2003.

It can be ordered through any good book shop or direct from the publisher London League Publications at www.llpshop.co.uk.

I'm a typical emotional Welshman. I've not read any because I prefer stories to have a happy ending.

However, out of my devotion to the Greatest Game, I will order one today. [I haven't read a book for at least fifteen years.]

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think that you will be quite pleased to know that one of the main characters in the series is the Welsh orphan girl Thelma. She had been brought up in a home in Cardiff before drifting North. Later she marries the main character, the draughtsman Alan.

Then in "Two Seasons", there is a chapter called The Welsh Girl from Wrexham.

And  soon after being introduced to the reader, both Thelma in 1963 and then Megan in 2003 get taken to their first match and and as a result become big Rugby League fans.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think that you will be quite pleased to know that one of the main characters in the series is the Welsh orphan girl Thelma. She had been brought up in a home in Cardiff before drifting North. Later she marries the main character, the draughtsman Alan.

Then in "Two Seasons", there is a chapter called The Welsh Girl from Wrexham.

And  soon after being introduced to the reader, both Thelma in 1963 and then Megan in 2003 get taken to their first match and and as a result become big Rugby League fans.

Not all Welsh girls end up being big.

Probably just that one from North Wales.

;) :tongue:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

sounds interesting, un fortunately due to my attention span of 3 minutes I have never read a book in my life, very rarely watch a film and give most tv shows the elbow by the 1st ad break, good look with it though

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#6 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

For the benefit of bedlam breakout and anybody else who might be interested, there is a quick and free way of reading the first two chapters of "Two Seasons".

Google in Amazon, then add my name and scroll a little way down the page to the front cover of "Two Seasons". Click on Look Inside and you will get the first two chapters to read.

In Chapter One (What's Wrong With Elvis?) you will see mention of Lindsay's pie shop,a man from Thatto Heath who is a big friend of Alex Murphy, a Makem who lives in Wigan and supports Warrington, a famous saying by Oscar Wilde, slightly modified and a programme on the wireless in the fifties when the main star was a ventriloquist!

If your attention limit has not yet been reached, you can also read Chapter Two (A Tale From Knowsley Road). References here to League Express and the Magna Carta, a former G.I. at the American air base at Burtonwood watching his first live game of Rugby League at Knowsley Road, the words to the Saint's song "You Light Up My Senses" and a tale of a man who is going USA for a day to a wedding.

(Round East Lancashire USA means Uther Side of Accrington).

If you like what you have read then you can do the obvious. If you don't like what you have read, then you will only have wasted five minutes of your time.

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

For the benefit of bedlam breakout and anybody else who might be interested, there is a quick and free way of reading the first two chapters of "Two Seasons".

Google in Amazon, then add my name and scroll a little way down the page to the front cover of "Two Seasons". Click on Look Inside and you will get the first two chapters to read.

In Chapter One (What's Wrong With Elvis?) you will see mention of Lindsay's pie shop,a man from Thatto Heath who is a big friend of Alex Murphy, a Makem who lives in Wigan and supports Warrington, a famous saying by Oscar Wilde, slightly modified and a programme on the wireless in the fifties when the main star was a ventriloquist!

If your attention limit has not yet been reached, you can also read Chapter Two (A Tale From Knowsley Road). References here to League Express and the Magna Carta, a former G.I. at the American air base at Burtonwood watching his first live game of Rugby League at Knowsley Road, the words to the Saint's song "You Light Up My Senses" and a tale of a man who is going USA for a day to a wedding.

(Round East Lancashire USA means Uther Side of Accrington).

If you like what you have read then you can do the obvious. If you don't like what you have read, then you will only have wasted five minutes of your time.

put a link up and will have a look, you have made lots of effort doing something you are proud of so will give it a whirl

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#8 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Didn't know this was out but the others are a fantastic read, so I'll be buying this without hesitation.

I love rugby league and British social history, so Geoff's brilliantly written books are right up my street.

#9 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

It's always nice for an author when someone describes what he or she has written as a fantastic read, so thanks a lot Leeds Wire. I expect that you will also enjoy Two Seasons since it probably can  be described as more of the same but with a bit more material based on the town of Warrington.

Now some people might ask how can an author write five novels all based on the same general theme, in my case the old saying about work that "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller" and the game of Rugby League. The answer lies in the fact that there is so much content to be found in both and particularly if you have personally been associated with them for nearly seventy years..

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Is it a best seller?
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#11 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Is it a best seller, Larry the Leit asks. My immediate response is to say either No or more optimistically Not Yet. I think that that best sellers usually sell around 4,000 copies a day (or is it a week) so Two Seasons is certainly not in that league.

One interesting statistic is that only 10% of all books published in this country reach a final sales level of 2,000 copies. My first four novels have all passed that figure and given time I am sure that Two Seasons will reach that level too.

Larry could possibly have asked is it any good. To that question I would have said see what Leeds Wire said above about the first four novels in the series and then wait until he has read Two Seasons and then passed comment on it. Or maybe soon some one who has by now got to the final page will be able to let us have his or her opinion. I wait with interest..

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi Geoff,

Have you paid the phone bill because your phone seems to be out of order!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users