Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tomkins gone to the NZ Warriors

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well looks like on the radio Nathan Friend has let it slip that he's signed.

(about 12 mins 20 seconds)

Queue rejoicing from people glad he's gone! In my opinion SLE will miss him.

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

who are these people who'll be glad he's gone? i'm pretty sure everyone will have wanted him to stay in SL, but will be glad he has gone to nrl over ru.

#3 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

that is the one good thing about this. Every Leeds fan I know personally is happy he's off. Then there's the "its good for the game he's going to the NRL" brigade (I disagree). That may not represent the overall view of the forum though and I apologise if I over generalised.

If Wigan lose Charnley as well, as is rumoured, we aren't going to have much of a team! Plenty of money in the bank, but no team.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

that is the one good thing about this. Every Leeds fan I know personally is happy he's off. Then there's the "its good for the game he's going to the NRL" brigade (I disagree). That may not represent the overall view of the forum though and I apologise if I over generalised.

If Wigan lose Charnley as well, as is rumoured, we aren't going to have much of a team! Plenty of money in the bank, but no team.

welcome to years gone by when my club and others had its best players hand picked from it by stronger clubs.

#5 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

I ( a leeds fan) will never forgive the two finger salute he gave us at wembley and think he acts like a petulant schoolboy at times but as a player he is of the highest calibre and super league will definitely miss him. On the other hand it can only be a good thing for england as after a year or two honing his skills in oz I think he may replace Mr Slater ( or some may say Ben Barba ) as the best fb the game has to offer! (As much as I hate to admit it)

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Good to know that NZ phone-ins are even more tedious than ours. That was excruciating.

I don't really have a strong view on Tomkins leaving. He's a great player, but I don't think he has developed much in the areas you'd need to in order to become the great halfback he should be: tactical kicking, creative passing, even solid defence. So hopefully he'll do that down under.

Obviously it's bad news for Super League, but we'll survive. So will Wigan.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

welcome to years gone by when my club and others had its best players hand picked from it by stronger clubs.

At least they were staying in the competition. In some ways I don't mind so much the rare players like Tomkins going to the NRL. But if, the NRL are poaching the not quite as good players, like Mossop, and if rumours are to be believed Charnely and O'Loughlin, take most of the players at that level out of SLE (not just Wigan) and you've got a very poor competition. We could possibly cope if more clubs had excellent youth systems, but there are only 4 if I recall correctly.

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

I would much rather he went to the NRL than the Dark Side. He may even improve as a player. If we get to OT this year we'll had a pretty good 4 years from him in the first team.
If any club and team can adjust and move on it's Wigan. 2014 may be grim but we'll adapt.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Queue rejoicing from people glad he's gone! In my opinion SLE will miss him.

Ah yes, because everyone has it in for poor ol' Wigan.
Posted Image

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,610 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

I ( a leeds fan) will never forgive the two finger salute he gave us at wembley

Even if he wins the World Cup?
Posted Image

#11 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

Worst kept secret if true

#12 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

What I can't understand is why he'd want to swap the fleshpots of Ormskirk and the Golborne clubbing scene for Auckland of all places!

#13 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

Ah yes, because everyone has it in for poor ol' Wigan.

Where did I say that was the reason for the crowing? My meaning is that he's one of the most divisive figures in the league. If he played for Leeds there would still be similar sentiments (although Stevo would love him even more).

#14 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Even if he wins the World Cup?

Even winning the World Cup doesn't make gesturing towards opposition fans during such a high profile game live on national tv right!

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

Even winning the World Cup doesn't make gesturing towards opposition fans during such a high profile game live on national tv right!

And your opinion of how the Leeds fans treated him in the Exiles match? 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#16 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

At least they were staying in the competition. In some ways I don't mind so much the rare players like Tomkins going to the NRL. But if, the NRL are poaching the not quite as good players, like Mossop, and if rumours are to be believed Charnely and O'Loughlin, take most of the players at that level out of SLE (not just Wigan) and you've got a very poor competition. We could possibly cope if more clubs had excellent youth systems, but there are only 4 if I recall correctly.

What I am struggling with is that we are constantly being told (by some on here anyway) about the wonderful strength in depth of the NRL and that they could produce between 3 and 5 teams capable of beating England. If this is true, why do they feel the need to pick up more and more of our players?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

What I am struggling with is that we are constantly being told (by some on here anyway) about the wonderful strength in depth of the NRL and that they could produce between 3 and 5 teams capable of beating England. If this is true, why do they feel the need to pick up more and more of our players?

A friend of mine, when discussing sports and participation numbers liked to say, the wider the base the higher the pyramid. They have a wider base and more players at the higher level. That doesn't mean that every player in the NRL is better than every player in ESL. That's a myth that should have been disproved by now.

#18 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

A friend of mine, when discussing sports and participation numbers liked to say, the wider the base the higher the pyramid. They have a wider base and more players at the higher level. That doesn't mean that every player in the NRL is better than every player in ESL. That's a myth that should have been disproved by now.

I agree, many don't. 

#19 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

My fear is for his body. He's always getting injured and he'll be a target for cynical tackling. I hope the Warriors will have some tough forwards to look after his interests.

I wish him all the best. He's an absolute credit to Superleague.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#20 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

And your opinion of how the Leeds fans treated him in the Exiles match?

I was at that game but wasn't one of the small minority that boo'd him and don't condone it one bit. My point was that he is a high profile player and shouldn't be acting in such a manner when he is supposed to be a role model for the next generation of young players. What my original post was about is that even tho he can be hot headed and sometimes a little cocky he is still a great player and sl will miss him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users