RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tomkins gone to the NZ Warriors

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I ( a leeds fan) will never forgive the two finger salute he gave us at wembley and think he acts like a petulant schoolboy at times but as a player he is of the highest calibre and super league will definitely miss him. On the other hand it can only be a good thing for england as after a year or two honing his skills in oz I think he may replace Mr Slater ( or some may say Ben Barba ) as the best fb the game has to offer! (As much as I hate to admit it)

Get over it!

I'm a Leeds fan and would love him here. Barba isn't the best either. The NRL would have improved his skills too had he gone to an Australian club but the Warriors are structure less and coaching wise, never seem to get it right, so I can't see this move having too much effect on his game.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#22 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

My fear is for his body. He's always getting injured and he'll be a target for cynical tackling. I hope the Warriors will have some tough forwards to look after his interests.

I wish him all the best. He's an absolute credit to Superleague.

He's very rarely been injured until recently, and I suspect that was Wane wrapping him in cotton wool.

#23 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Get over it!
I'm a Leeds fan and would love him here. Barba isn't the best either. The NRL would have improved his skills too had he gone to an Australian club but the Warriors are structure less and coaching wise, never seem to get it right, so I can't see this move having too much effect on his game.

Playing against higher quality teams in (in the main) closer games week in week out would improve anyone's game.

#24 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

I thought the cheapest shot he's received this season was Tanya Arnold's pitchside interview with him at Wembley last week. She should be ashamed. It was crass, insensitive and out of keeping with the occasion.

<_<

Edited by Wolford6, 29 August 2013 - 10:19 AM.

• Tizzles likes this

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

And your opinion of how the Leeds fans treated him in the Exiles match? 

I'll say again, I'd be very disappointed with the fans of 11 SL clubs and countless other clubs if Leeds fans were the only ones that bothered to turn up at an England match because it was at Headingley

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I was at that game but wasn't one of the small minority that boo'd him and don't condone it one bit. My point was that he is a high profile player and shouldn't be acting in such a manner when he is supposed to be a role model for the next generation of young players. What my original post was about is that even tho he can be hot headed and sometimes a little cocky he is still a great player and sl will miss him!

I'd agree about the 2 fingered salute, but I do think he's been better more recently

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#27 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

I thought the cheapest shot he's received this season was Tanya Arnold's pitchside interview with him at Wembley last week. She should be ashamed. It was crass, insensitive and out of keeping with the occasion.

<_<

Anyone who has been a journalist would know that it is part of their job. Who knows she may have even had the programme editor in her ear saying asking him about his future. It is one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my time as a hack but it is 100% what is required for the job. Some people may not like that but the same people would have spent hours debating the scoop had he let slip about his intentions.

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Poor signing. Won't be able to keep up with the speed and intensity in the NRL. (Petero mode)

Great signing if true, hopefully he goes well.

#29 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'll say again, I'd be very disappointed with the fans of 11 SL clubs and countless other clubs if Leeds fans were the only ones that bothered to turn up at an England match because it was at Headingley

I was at that game with a neutral and a Bradford fan. They were both pretty embarrassed by the booboys. A country game held at a club ground will always have a majority of the fans will be from the club of the stadium (I'm guessing you're trying to ssay "it wasn't just us" or some other such nonsense). From the other supporters there I saw one Warrington supy boo slightly sheepishly for a few mins before stopping. The vast majority of the boo boys were leeds southstanders. However you want to frame it, it was embarrassing to be a RL supporter that day. It showed the worst aspects of the tribalism of our supporters, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

#30 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

What did Tanya say at wembley I was at the leeds festival and didn't bother watching it in skyplus as I'd heard it wasn't a great game ?

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I was at that game with a neutral and a Bradford fan. They were both pretty embarrassed by the booboys. A country game held at a club ground will always have a majority of the fans will be from the club of the stadium (I'm guessing you're trying to ssay "it wasn't just us" or some other such nonsense). From the other supporters there I saw one Warrington supy boo slightly sheepishly for a few mins before stopping. The vast majority of the boo boys were leeds southstanders. However you want to frame it, it was embarrassing to be a RL supporter that day. It showed the worst aspects of the tribalism of our supporters, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

I just want to point out, I don't condone booing opposition or home players. It annoys me when it happens when teams come out, but yes I am saying it wasn't necessarily just Leeds fans. I imagine that a fair chunk of the crowd were leeds fans just due to the location, but I do take issue with people saying that because the game was played in Leeds, all the booing fans were Leeds supporters.

For the record, I didn't boo him, but I did yell at him in annoyance (no swearing) at one point when he was just running laterally on the pitch and making no progress

EDIT: Anyway, back on topic. Good luck to him wherever he plays (as long as it's within RL and he has a bad game whenever he plays against Leeds)

Edited by brooza, 29 August 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#32 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

But you can't have seen all the supporters in the south stand that day so how can you say it was mainly leeds fans. No one booed before the game when Tompkins name was read out on the team sheet over the tannoy if it was leeds fans that set out to boo him they would have done then. He was booed after running from one end of the pitch to the other and then back again without Makin any yards and failin to pass on a number of opportunities.

#33 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

But you can't have seen all the supporters in the south stand that day so how can you say it was mainly leeds fans. No one booed before the game when Tompkins name was read out on the team sheet over the tannoy if it was leeds fans that set out to boo him they would have done then. He was booed after running from one end of the pitch to the other and then back again without Makin any yards and failin to pass on a number of opportunities.

Actually you are wrong. When the team was being read out the southstanders booed every player who didn't play for Leeds. Either you weren't there or must have forgotten that.

When the match started everyone knows what happened.

#34 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

I was there but don't recall that happening I'm interested to know if anyone else witnessed this before the game cos it's news to me

#35 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Well I'm pretty sure anyone who was there and had working ears heard it. The chances are no leeds supporters will admit it and they were the majority of supporters there.

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Even winning the World Cup doesn't make gesturing towards opposition fans during such a high profile game live on national tv right!

I never said it did.

You said you would never forgive him. I think that's pretty sad to be fair. Get over it. He's not done it since. It was stupid. He got in trouble for it. And he plays his socks off for this country.
Posted Image

#37 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Who cares about that Exiles match now? Stop talking about it, it's boring.

Anyway, I'm pleased by this news as I think Tomkins will be a great addition for the NRL. Slightly surprised the Bulldogs didn't make a late play for him, but I guess they might've been put off by the coin he's supposedly demanding.

#38 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I ( a leeds fan) will never forgive the two finger salute he gave us at wembley and think he acts like a petulant schoolboy at times but as a player he is of the highest calibre and super league will definitely miss him. On the other hand it can only be a good thing for england as after a year or two honing his skills in oz I think he may replace Mr Slater ( or some may say Ben Barba ) as the best fb the game has to offer! (As much as I hate to admit it)

Having been stood at Headingley when those poor, innocent Leeds fans were politely asking if Lee Briers interfered with kids, might I suggest to save you holier than thou attitude for your fellow Loiners.
  • RidingPie likes this

#39 morleyrhino

morleyrhino
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Having been stood at Headingley when those poor, innocent Leeds fans were politely asking if Lee Briers interfered with kids, might I suggest to save you holier than thou attitude for your fellow Loiners.

So headingley is the only place we hear derogatory chants towards opposition players is it? It happens all the time at any sl ground. This feed has completely gone off track. I did say Sam Tompkins is a terrific player and will make any team better with him in it and that sl will b worse off without him. Good luck Sam.

#40 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

So headingley is the only place we hear derogatory chants towards opposition players is it? It happens all the time at any sl ground. This feed has completely gone off track. I did say Sam Tompkins is a terrific player and will make any team better with him in it and that sl will b worse off without him. Good luck Sam.

No, I've heard racist chants aimed at Ali Lauititi from the South Stand at the HJ. My point is, if you want to dish it out from the safety of the terraces, don't squeal like a stuck pig when it's given back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users