Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tomkins gone to the NZ Warriors

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

One thing that strikes me about him as a player is that he is extremely reliant on acceleration and agility. He may go on to be a legend in the game, and I hope he does for the game's and England's sakes, but I sometimes wonder whether he could be another Michael Owen and find life harder if he loses his edge.
This isn't meant to be a fans' - "he was rubbish all along" rationalising, rather it's genuine conjecture.

#42 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,638 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

One thing that strikes me about him as a player is that he is extremely reliant on acceleration and agility. He may go on to be a legend in the game, and I hope he does for the game's and England's sakes, but I sometimes wonder whether he could be another Michael Owen and find life harder if he loses his edge.
This isn't meant to be a fans' - "he was rubbish all along" rationalising, rather it's genuine conjecture.

I agree entirely, and hope we're both wrong.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#43 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,760 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Speed/pace is the difference between ran and also ran.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#44 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

And your opinion of how the Leeds fans treated him in the Exiles match? 

Have to agree with you... I watch Leeds almost every game and was disgusted with the abuse given to Tomkins that day by our fans and on subsequent occasions. No excuse for his subsequent foolish finger sign at Wembley... at least he apologised - not many Leeds fans would think there behaviour warranted an apology, pity.

#45 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anyone who has been a journalist would know that it is part of their job. Who knows she may have even had the programme editor in her ear saying asking him about his future. It is one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my time as a hack but it is 100% what is required for the job. Some people may not like that but the same people would have spent hours debating the scoop had he let slip about his intentions.

Yep you may be right... never-the-less it came across as very amateurish, very crass and no doubt I would assume she was embarrassed herself at the manner of it... that is it was clear it was her only intention with no interest in anything else.  

#46 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thought he'd gone already - barely seen him in the Wigan team since May. We'll survive - the King is dead, long live the King.

#47 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thought he'd gone already - barely seen him in the Wigan team since May. We'll survive - the King is dead, long live the King.

I hope he's replaced with an experienced full back for a season or two. Hampshire or Tierney aren't ready for the position week in week out.

#48 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I hope he's replaced with an experienced full back for a season or two. Hampshire or Tierney aren't ready for the position week in week out.

Matt Bowen, according to the press.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#49 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Even winning the World Cup doesn't make gesturing towards opposition fans during such a high profile game live on national tv right!

Aw diddums, grow up.

He is if nothing else, a passionate winner and the fact that he had a go back at the Leeds fans could, just possibly, be for the barracking and abuse he has had to put up with from them each and everytime he has played at Leeds.

Even for the England V Exiles match he was abused, by what was as I recall mainly attributed to a section of Leeds fans in the crowd.

Its amazing that within a world of far less mannerly people than ever everyone is just to easily insulted now with 'respect' not being shown, when it suits.  

#50 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Poor signing. Won't be able to keep up with the speed and intensity in the NRL. (Petero mode)

Great signing if true, hopefully he goes well.

You do like to cherrypick the comments to suit your argument B, don't you?

Speedwise, no problem, but I will stick out my neck and state that the intensity will come as a shock to him if he is installed in the F/B position.

I will also repeat that for your sake, I sincerely hope that he does do well down there, as I do for all of our lads that go to play in the NRL. The better he does the more pleased I will be, but ( another repeat, for your sake) I do have my doubts that F/B will be the position that he will do best at in the NRL.

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,297 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

would intensity (whatever that actually means in reality) be a major issue for a fullback.

#52 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

ryan mcgoldrick would be ideal

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#53 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

would intensity (whatever that actually means in reality) be a major issue for a fullback.

Thats the point I stress upon Dave. The position of F/B is much less severe to play in S/L than in the NRL.

For two very important reasons (a) kicking accuracy is far better generally in the NRL, especially against their very top echelon of sides, which again are more numerous than in S/L and, (B) despite arguments to the opposite Sam Tomkins will rarely have experienced the force and the speed plus intensity, which this form of high ball placings puts the defending F/B under. 

I still do not have implicit faith, by any means in Tomkins when dealing with this aspect and I really fear for us in the W/Cup when he will be tested, time and again with them.

So in answer Dave; yes to your question, in such a situation intensity, I believe, could equably describe what a F/B within the NRL often does have to endure. 

#54 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,297 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thats the point I stress upon Dave. The position of F/B is much less severe to play in S/L than in the NRL.
For two very important reasons (a) kicking accuracy is far better generally in the NRL, especially against their very top echelon of sides, which again are more numerous than in S/L and, (B) despite arguments to the opposite Sam Tomkins will rarely have experienced the force and the speed plus intensity, which this form of high ball placings puts the defending F/B under.

I still do not have implicit faith, by any means in Tomkins when dealing with this aspect and I really fear for us in the W/Cup when he will be tested, time and again with them.
So in answer Dave; yes to your question, in such a situation intensity, I believe, could equably describe what a F/B within the NRL often does have to endure.

it will be interesting to see what happens. We do see a fair few breaks from kick returns in the NRL - will be interesting to see whether that is because the fullbacks are so good or whether there are still gaps in defensive lines.
Looking forward to seeing what happens either way.

#55 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

After yesterday's game, I think Hampshire's future is at stand off in any case. He was outstanding at second receiver and I'd go as far to say that in that form I'd play him over Green.

From what I've seen to date, Rocky has a big future, barring bad luck or injury.

Tierney was probably the most disappointing of the young backs on show yesterday. He didn't play poor by any means, just steady whereas others like Manfredi on debut and Burgess were surprisingly good.

Edited by giwildgo, 31 August 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#56 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

If they go to the NRL we all win in my opinon. The England team wll get stronger and more youth will have to come through the SLE teams. No more over paid imports taking up vital spots in our club sides. we will survive and fingers crossed the competition might even up more.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#57 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

All these Leeds fans who are horribly offended by a two fingered solute better stay away from Leeds City Centre during the day or at night. There is much more offensive behaviour going on.

#58 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Much as I'd like to see him succeed in the NRL, I suspect he'll be back here with his tail between his legs inside two years.

#59 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

It doesn't affect the full back as much as it does other players. The main people it affects is the forwards, and as it has been proven British forwards in the 21st century can't handle the intensity of the NRL.

Sarcasm aside, he'll do absolutely fine. He skipped through Aussies and Kiwis quite easily when he played them two seasons ago. He's improved since then, he will be a star.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 31 August 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#60 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Good to know that NZ phone-ins are even more tedious than ours. That was excruciating.

I don't really have a strong view on Tomkins leaving. He's a great player, but I don't think he has developed much in the areas you'd need to in order to become the great halfback he should be: tactical kicking, creative passing, even solid defence. So hopefully he'll do that down under.

Obviously it's bad news for Super League, but we'll survive. So will Wigan.

Did John from Salford ring in? I`m sure Jack Dearden keeps him in the back office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users