Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tomkins gone to the NZ Warriors

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

To my mind Tomkins has carved up SL more than any other player I can remember. I can't think of any reason why he won't succeed in the NRL.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#62 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

It doesn't affect the full back as much as it does other players. The main people it affects is the forwards, and as it has been proven British forwards in the 21st century can't handle the intensity of the NRL.

Sarcasm aside, he'll do absolutely fine. He skipped through Aussies and Kiwis quite easily when he played them two seasons ago. He's improved since then, he will be a star.

Really?

As I recall the skipping that Sam performed with such ease did not happen on so many ball return runs, or did it?

Agreed that he did make breaks on some occasions, telling ones also, but they to my recollection consisted entirely from his joining the line and not from his returns of the ball from kicks. AND,B, I can also recall that in the final of that series Paul Gallen  made sure the same did not occur again.

Take a memory check you may discover that is correct, oh and take the rose coloured ones off before you do.  

PS I hope he is in fine skipping mode in the World cup, if so I will bow to your superior judgement then :P . 

#63 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Really?
As I recall the skipping that Sam performed with such ease did not happen on so many ball return runs, or did it?

Agreed that he did make breaks on some occasions, telling ones also, but they to my recollection consisted entirely from his joining the line and not from his returns of the ball from kicks. AND,B, I can also recall that in the final of that series Paul Gallen made sure the same did not occur again.
Take a memory check you may discover that is correct, oh and take the rose coloured ones off before you do.

PS I hope he is in fine skipping mode in the World cup, if so I will bow to your superior judgement then :P .

I can't find it anywhere but Sam did a 40m ball return against Aus and a 60m one against the Kiwis. My memory is fine thanks.

For England's tries against Aus in the first game at Wembley, for the first one Darius Boyd ran out to stop Tomkins which allowed Hall to score in the corner. Second try Tomkins walked past Jonathan Thurston and did a flick pass to Reed which resulted the try. The fourth try Tomkins was the main man again fending off Tony Williams to put Heighington through a huge hole. If you don't believe me see the videos by SL highlights on youtube.

As I say I can't find evidence of the ball returns because only the tries are online. But Sam creating tries against Australia and being able to do many of the things he does in SL against them suggests he is going to be able to replicate them in SL. I'm obviously not naive to think he will skip through defences like he does in SL in the NRL, but I'm confident he will do very well in the competition.

But as we have all said, time will tell.