Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BARLA touring GB Lions on Australian Television (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

The touring BARLA Great Britain Lions arrival at Coffs Harbour was greeted by a mini media frenzy, with the local television channel featuring the event and interviews with Head Coach Paul Crarey and joint tour captains Trevor Penrose and Scott Lofthouse, and the national channel NBN News also putting out a report.

For the opening game on Saturday, their opponents Coffs Harbour Comets have named a side that includes former Dally M Player of the Year 2001, Preston Campbell, who also won a Grand Final Winners ring with Penrith Panthers.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Please see link to view some positive news on British Amateur rugby league.

It appears that Australian TV view the tour as positive enough and newsworthy to give the item air-time on a national TV channel

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

This just shows the gulf between perceptions of rugby league in the two countries.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#4 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

And BARLA have been broadening its boundaries for over 35 years.

#5 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yes Nev but its the Aussie Media what have Barla done to raise the profile on British media ?

That's not taking anything away from the tour party which I hope all enjoy and is a success ,what we don't do well in this country is promote our product .

#6 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yes Nev but its the Aussie Media what have Barla done to raise the profile on British media ?

That's not taking anything away from the tour party which I hope all enjoy and is a success ,what we don't do well in this country is promote our product .

BARLA have got PRO Steve Manning ... oh yes, I see what you mean Taxi.

#7 Nev V Dawn

Nev V Dawn
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

BARLA have got PRO Steve Manning ... oh yes, I see what you mean Taxi.

From twitter

BARLA grind out win v Coffs harbour

12 - 16

Trys; Lofthouse 2,  George, Lynch

Man of the match; Danny Rowse

Full report now on BARLA website

http://barla.org.uk/...ils.asp?id=3350

Edited by Nev V Dawn, 01 September 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#8 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

BARLA Lions Fall at Controversial Final Hurdle

The BARLA Great Britain Lions failed to make it a clean sweep on their Australian Tour when they were beaten 40 to 24 at the Redfern Oval, by a South Sydney Juniors representative side picked from their Grade A Section of the League.

The junior’s were just too strong, and the conditions certainly did not favour the visitors with the temperature soaring into the 30’s.

Commenting after the match, South Sydney Juniors Head Coach, Bob Manns said he had expected a tough game, with a high completion rate and good support play from the BARLA Team.  “Any team coached by Paul Crarey will always give you a hard game,” he said. “All my players today certainly raised their game, playing far better than they have for their clubs in recent weeks. In all, I am very pleased to come away with a victory.  I know that if we play a return match in the UK we will have to maintain that standard or play even better to win again.”

Paul Crarey, Head Coach of the BARLA Great Britain Lions said, “We were not at our best today.  Having been here for only eleven days, with a bruising battle against the Aboriginals just four days ago showed, I think, in the later stages.

“We got off to a poor start, touching the ball only twice in the first fifteen minutes due to a heavy penalty count in favour the home side. We only had the ball for twelve sets in the first half against twenty-four for the opposition. Our team showed great character in coming back from 20-6 down to 24-18, only to be denied a further chance by some poor decisions from the officials, particularly the touch judges.  Our cause was not helped either, by injuries to Marcus O’Brien (Millom) and Sam Forrester (Maryport), which had meant reshuffling the team.

The score line certainly did not reflect the way the game went.  I could not have asked more from the players. They have worked hard and been impeccable both in attitude and application and I am proud to be associated with them, having seen them turn from boys into men, in what has been a life changing experience for them.”

Edited by Honor James, 10 September 2013 - 01:07 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Cumbria Duo Scoop BARLA Lions Awards

The BARLA Great Britain Lions are on their way home following their three match tour of Australia.

Despite falling short of a 100%, three from three, after their heartbreaking controversial defeat against the South Sydney Leagues, the Lions will be buoyed by their two opening tour wins.

All the players gave their all on tour, and on Monday evening two Cumbrian players came out on top, when the tour awards were presented.  Second row forward Danny Morrow (Walney Central), who scored two tries in the defeat against the South Sydney Leagues and was named Lions player of the match in that game, gained the added satisfaction of being one of two Lions named a BARLA Great Britain Player of the Tour.  Forward Jonny Goulding (Egremont Rangers), the second player named a BARLA Great Britain Lions, Player of the Tour, made it a double celebration for the County.

Tour Manager, Sean High (Kells) summed up the tour.  “From the outset all the boys were focused on the task in front of them, sadly falling just short in the last game. They have behaved themselves both on and off the field, worked their socks off, and done their respective clubs and counties, and their country proud.

"We hope they will take this experience home and become better players for it, and that other players will now strive to gain a BARLA shirt because the opportunities to see the world are fantastic.

"In the words of Head Coach Paul Crarey, ‘You will not get any better friends than you will in rugby league.’

"As a Cumbrian myself, I would particularly like to congratulate Danny Morrow and Jonny Goulding on winning their respective awards."

The tour awards were presented by Mick Turner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users