Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why is it...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

That SL players and clubs announce signings for next season from weeks before the current season ends yet Championship clubs/players keep it all top secret?

Why can't the supporters of those clubs be informed as to what is happening at their club?

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

There's obviously a disparity Fred, however the close season wouldn't be half as exciting without all the secrecy. I can't wait to find out who's joining us for next season when 2013 is over and done with.

Posted Image

#3 phildog

phildog
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Personally I'm not sure which way I like it! If we knew in advance, maybe we'd get on the backs of those we knew to be leaving and bring down their performances in the play-offs. we hit them hard enough during the bad run that we had, and credit to them for digging themselves out of it. On the other hand, if a team has struggled through a season, knowing that some decent players are on the horizon can raise spirits. There are pros and cons on both sides. Release of re-signings can also raise spirits, just as we have been buoyed by ours. Rumours which come from other clubs' sites can also be double-edged swords, as clubs rumoured to be beneficiaries will be buoyed by the rumour yet can be let down with the reality. Just what the answer is is anybody's guess. Maybe a good time to make any announcement would be once the actual league season is over, sothat during the play-offs everyone will know enough as to how their team is likely to look, whilst still getting behind thecurrent players to give as good a send-off as possible. Then those who are leaving won't be playing in the shadow of their replacements as much.

#4 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I wouldn't expect any new signing news until the season is completed.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Personally I'm not sure which way I like it! If we knew in advance, maybe we'd get on the backs of those we knew to be leaving and bring down their performances in the play-offs. we hit them hard enough during the bad run that we had, and credit to them for digging themselves out of it. On the other hand, if a team has struggled through a season, knowing that some decent players are on the horizon can raise spirits. There are pros and cons on both sides. Release of re-signings can also raise spirits, just as we have been buoyed by ours. Rumours which come from other clubs' sites can also be double-edged swords, as clubs rumoured to be beneficiaries will be buoyed by the rumour yet can be let down with the reality. Just what the answer is is anybody's guess. Maybe a good time to make any announcement would be once the actual league season is over, sothat during the play-offs everyone will know enough as to how their team is likely to look, whilst still getting behind thecurrent players to give as good a send-off as possible. Then those who are leaving won't be playing in the shadow of their replacements as much.

It doesn't seem to be such a problem in the NRL.

Maybe, just maybe, the fans here worry about it far more than the players.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

It doesn't seem to be such a problem in the NRL.

Maybe, just maybe, the fans here worry about it far more than the players.

Ridiculous as it may sound, BSJ, I think that's perhaps due to the sporting culture over there. The transparent transfer merry-go round in the NRL has gone on since the days of the Winfield Cup, and fans are simply see it as a normal process. If things continue as they are over here, fans will just get used to it and in time it'll just fade as an issue. Personally, I don't like the current system, as I feel that players should be concentrating on fulfilling their contracts with a club to the best of their abilities - as opposed to considering their options for the following season halfway through a deal.

Edited by TheTerminator, 30 August 2013 - 10:36 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users