Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

brett hodgson and kevin penny

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hodgson to finish call it a day at the end of this season (wise decision).And Kevin penny to sign a 3 year deal to rejoin Warrington.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'll be very interested to see how Penny goes.

Hodgson, on the other hand, has given many fine years of service to a game that's certainly knocked him about at times. Will he remain involved in the sport?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Ratchford to full back. A new half to partner Myler? Chase?

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'll be very interested to see how Penny goes.

Hodgson, on the other hand, has given many fine years of service to a game that's certainly knocked him about at times. Will he remain involved in the sport?

Yes me too, one of the game's great prospects at one point......bit of dented confidence but hopefully he's moved past that and stregthened his game

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hodgson to the Bulls?

That was a rumour I heard a few weeks ago.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hodgsons calling it a day.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Was always sad to see Penny's talent wasted and him pushed to the lower leagues. Some of the tries he scored were quite simply breathtaking.

• Ant likes this

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

Was always sad to see Penny's talent wasted and him pushed to the lower leagues. Some of the tries he scored were quite simply breathtaking.

It was a Cup tie that started his problem, wasn't it? He scored a try out the topmost drawer, then committed a couple of unbelievable brainfarts.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

It was a Cup tie that started his problem, wasn't it? He scored a try out the topmost drawer, then committed a couple of unbelievable brainfarts.

Not particularly no, he scored and later dropped the ball leading to a Saints try - plenty have done it before and since.

The bigger issue is that we had some defensive issues on our flanks, much discussed on Warrington forums - we had an underperforming Matt King (much better when he moved to the wing) and Louis Anderson who was a big hitter but not really a defender who would help your winger.

IMHO we see more defensive errors from Chris Riley now than we ever did for Kevin Penny, who was younger and less experienced. He became a bit of a scapegoat for our poor defence as he was often left on his own and took the wrong option.

I don't know whether he has it in him, Tony Smith worked with him and knows a hell of a lot more about the game than me - but there was no denying that he was a fantastically exciting player.

#10 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Penny has been outstanding for Swinton in the last two seasons and his defence has been top drawer! Players can improve.

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

If Kevin Penny is coming in, can we have Rhys Williams or Rhys Evans on loan?

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

They'd be better off with Lee Penny.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

They'd be better off with Lee Penny.

you are Ray French etc etc....

#14 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

Good luck to Kevin Penny for getting back on board.

#15 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

good to see kevin get back to super league, i wanted widnes to take him up with us as he was superb for us................and instead we ended up with the woeful willie isa.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Penny has been outstanding for Swinton in the last two seasons and his defence has been top drawer! Players can improve.

Good to hear it. Is he still quick?

#17 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Most committed player for the Lions this season. Sad if he does go but all the best to him. Still rapid and hungry for work!
We'll take Reece Williams in part ex........

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm really surprised to see people queuing up for Rhys Williams. Decent build and has scored tries for Wales, but extremely pedestrian. 

If Penny comes back I'll be very pleased as I thought he got a rough deal last time around. I'll be surprised if he does though, and even more so if he gets a three-year deal as rumoured.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

RLWC Mole reporting Hodgson is off to Salford
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Good move for Kevin Penny. Sometimes, you have to reach rock bottom before you can rise up again, and perhaps landing at Swinton and realising there was no further to fall was the kick he needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users