Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sharp Soars Higher Than The Eagles

Match report Featherstone Sheffield Rovers Eagles Title race

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Match report from yesterdays thrilling encounter between the Leagues top two teams. I'm sure many people will be running down to the club shop to grab the dvd for this one. 

Attached Files

#2 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

good stuff mate, great read, only one thing, worthy got injured last thursday against whitehaven, then was ruled out of last nights game on Monday when the injury hadn't cleared up

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#3 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

good stuff mate, great read, only one thing, worthy got injured last thursday against whitehaven, then was ruled out of last nights game on Monday when the injury hadn't cleared up

I was with Joey when we were told that he'd pulled up in pre-match warm up.

#4 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Well done on last night, great crowd, great game, with two minutes to go my 13 year old son said there's no way Fev can score again, I said let's see and it was a fantastic finish. If ever there was an advert for bonus point system, this game was it.

Thought the ref was pretty good (as a neutral), let a few high shots go on both sides but it was a fast open game and end to end stuff.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

I was with Joey when we were told that he'd pulled up in pre-match warm up.

Don't know how early you lads warm up but he definitely wasn't on the team sheet that was handed in just after 6 pm.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Don't know how early you lads warm up but he definitely wasn't on the team sheet that was handed in just after 6 pm.

We were mis-informed, hence the error!

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just saying ..... no offence intended to you or Joe - or for that matter any past player.

Edited by Griff, 29 August 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#8 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Sorry about that Steve, But he was warming up at the start.

#9 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Sorry about that Steve, But he was warming up at the start.

That's my fault. By the way for any other readers not from our club that's called owning up to something, rather than making a pathetic subterfuge.

#10 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

That's my fault. By the way for any other readers not from our club that's called owning up to something, rather than making a pathetic subterfuge.

Thanks Andy, i would have kept stum. And if anyone from another club wants to criticise  a 16 year old making a start in sports journalism, let him bring it on!

#11 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Was gonna stay quiet on this, in order to not seem defensive. Just going to make it clear that the error is no fault of the club, as he did not feature on our team sheets either. In regards to the warm up, I didn't see it (you might have noticed some issues parking.) If that proves to be the price for such a high attendance, I will gladly never see a warm up again.

On the Injury itself ,it would appear from post match interviews that Worthington should return soon.

#12 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:07 AM

Steve, please pass on my congratulations to Joe for another fantastic piece of writing. Not only a great match report, but a fine story, the tale of a ferocious battle told with an energy and passion to match the game, with a little humour thrown in. He's a fine writer and if he's into this sort of thing, he definitely has the ability to take it further. It reads better than any other report I've read on the game.

Having not seen the game yet I can only imagine what the atmosphere must have been like with a few seconds to go. I was forced to resort to following the game through Facebook updates as the streaming sites don’t work here. The message on the screen “Featherstone, ball in hand, 40m away, 1minute 30 on the clock” seemed to stay for hours, as I chanted the mantra, “Kick it to Will Liam, Kick it to Will” over and over again, my mind desperately painting the picture.

"Finn floated the kick to the corner.

The fans rose to their feet and Sharp soared above the defence to catch the ball and score the try he was born to.”

Magical!

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

You can pass on your congratulations yourself Cliff, as he is now on the forum as JCrabtree.

BTW, what sort of work do you do in Tanzania? My daughter, Joe's Mum, was asking, as some of her friends have been out there on missionary work.  

#14 stuart56

stuart56
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

I don't know what the Eagles do but most teams warm up 19 players, two of whom then usually take on water duty.  

< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

I don't know what the Eagles do but most teams warm up 19 players, two of whom then usually take on water duty.  

Varies, but much the same.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Match report, Featherstone, Sheffield, Rovers, Eagles, Title race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users