RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wishing you luck

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

yep we did ! but we just got caught out nobody can tell me we where  the only team doing this , if we'd been a super league team we'd ave got 3 point deduction  and all wud be forgotten

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

yep we did ! but we just got caught out nobody can tell me we where the only team doing this , if we'd been a super league team we'd ave got 3 point deduction and all wud be forgotten

Ex players have wrote in autobiographies that it happens. It likely does, clubs are probably just more efficient at doing it than Des was.

#43 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Swinton, Hunslet et al are doing nothing wrong.
The RFL set the rules and some teams chose to to apply them and others didn't.
Unfortunately, someone has to be relegated. I hope it's not us and if we do stay up I will feel for the fans of that relegated club.
But whatever happens tomorrow I'd like to say thanks to all the fans and all the players of every club that have given me some lovely days out this season.

very sensible post. I follow Hunslet and hate D/R for several reasons however I can't fault the players we have had from Leeds. if we didn't pay our coach 40 grand a year we wouldn't need dual reg players.

#44 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Good luck tomorrow to the Barrow lads. We need three Cumbrian teams in the Championship. Go get them boys.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#45 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

To me this stream shows exactly why there must be promotion and relegation in any sports. It's always very tough for the teams that get relegated or just miss promotion but adds so much excitement to the end of the season. I remember the dogfight between Wakefield and Castleford in the last promotion season of SL  The match between the two produced a bumper gate and Cas were relegated.

I desperately hope Barrow win but above all I hope it's a cracking game and the best team on the day wins. Championship or Championship1 I shall have my usual season ticket for 2014.

GOOD LUCK BARROW.

Posted Image

#46 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

To me this stream shows exactly why there must be promotion and relegation in any sports. It's always very tough for the teams that get relegated or just miss promotion but adds so much excitement to the end of the season. I remember the dogfight between Wakefield and Castleford in the last promotion season of SL The match between the two produced a bumper gate and Cas were relegated.

I desperately hope Barrow win but above all I hope it's a cracking game and the best team on the day wins. Championship or Championship1 I shall have my usual season ticket for 2014.
GOOD LUCK BARROW.

top post and despite my fall out with my club this season i'm pretty sure I'll be there next season although I pledged I wouldn't.

#47 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Good luck barrow from a town fan, nowt against other clubs as they have played to the rules of dr whatever anyone's thoughts of what that brings to the integrity of this division. As a Cumbrian, I just want all our 3 teams in the same league.

#48 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

In reply to "JT" and others I'm still waiting for someone to offer evidence as to how Swinton have "abused" the DR system? Instead of repeating hear say from down the pub give us some actual facts. E.g. Of the 13 that beat Barrow 22-0 eleven were bona fide Lions players, & 2 were DR, young players who have never been Wolves regulars & one of whom was only playing coz our full-back Hawkyard was suspended. Before anyone spouts Morley & Briers, Morley has played once (in the NR Cup) and Briers once, both when recovering from injury. Not ideal I admit, but hardly abuse and an unfair advantage.

Any team who play experienced players from a S/L club are IMO abusing what D/R was set up for I have no problem if a club use a u23 player as he may play several games for your club but an experience player is there to be ready for the S/L club. All championship clubs should have the final decision who they play but it should be to improve the youth set up they should not be used to get a player ready for S/L because they are greedy and want to spent there money on the senior team this is what Swinton and Hunslet have done by playing certain players Keep the D/R system but make it so the championship club has more say and it helps there club not using it to get the S/L player ready and upsetting championship players

Just to finish the reason why I wanted two teams down who abused it is so clubs would realise that it's to benefit S/L and not our league

#49 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

Just want to echo the thoughts of Paul. I really hope barrow stop up because they have not bowed down to the pressure created by the RFL and linked up with 1 of our so called elite clubs. The link up with a SL club is obviousley within the rules but just because RFL make it right does not mean it is morally the correct thing to do.

It also amuses me how Barrow are still reminded of illegal payments to players under Des's chairmanship. He got caught and the club has paid the price through relegation, I also agree that it has and still goes on in the game. Barrow have risen from the ashes through bloody hard work and I think they deserve all the credit in the world.
  • firebasher likes this
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#50 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Good luck today lads, need the Cumbrian's together.

#51 Dave W

Dave W
  • Coach
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Swinton and Hunslet haven't abused the DR system, it just looks to an outsider like their "partner" clubs have abused them!
  • sgt pepper likes this

#52 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

i dont know why barrow fans are slagging duel reg if hunslet hadnt used it you would be down already cos we would be in the top four

Funnies thing ive heard all year, if you hadnt used DR you wouldnt have been in top 4 get a grip yous will struggle to make top 4 next year in championship 1 hopefully now yous have learned your lesson and wont rely on leeds too much next season

Tom Heighton

#53 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's a silly argument about the use of DR players. Where would Barrow have been without loanees Hellewell, Nicholson, Brennan, etc,? Well done Barrow.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#54 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Brennans not a loanee he signed a 1 year deal, and theres a difference between loan and dr the biggest one being that loanees train and play with the team they are loaned to, dual reg turn up on the sunday then go back to their parent club. At least by having loan players you know whos turning up that weekend.

Tom Heighton

#55 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's a silly argument about the use of DR players. Where would Barrow have been without loanees Hellewell, Nicholson, Brennan, etc,? Well done Barrow.

One of them is on contract. Then the other two players it's completely different to DR. We don't have potentially a full squad to choose from unlike DR. We have those two players and those two only.

#56 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

looks like haven cant be relied on for a result . good luck worky in play offs . you deserve it. barrow will hopefully get act together and maybe with a new coach make a move up this league.

#57 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Seems I upset all 27 of Hunslet fans as well as both of Swintons. my bad.

Well done Raiders, see you next season, we will once again be coming for a weekend Beano and sampling your excellent hospitality, again, congratulations. You deserve it

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#58 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Seems I upset all 27 of Hunslet fans as well as both of Swintons. my bad.

Well done Raiders, see you next season, we will once again be coming for a weekend Beano and sampling your excellent hospitality, again, congratulations. You deserve it

don't forget your banjo
hunslet hawks champions 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users