Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

This is how you pen a positive story ...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Consider this story.

Now imagine the assembled guard of rugby league hack miserablists ever writing anything so positive about Australians turning out for European teams.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,793 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I assume it is also really easy to find all sorts of negativity around the Irish captain of the England cricket team announced this week, as well as the Irish lad who quit Ireland last year to play for England this year.

Only in Rugby League.

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's a pity RL and cricket are both played in the Summer as I'm sure many of the dual reg Aussies will have experience of both.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I assume it is also really easy to find all sorts of negativity around the Irish captain of the England cricket team announced this week, as well as the Irish lad who quit Ireland last year to play for England this year.

Only in Rugby League.

Without wanting to re open old views Dave, I don't have any problems with the kind of thing being done by those cricketing Aussies i.e. helping to develop the sport in their heritage country (as the 2000 Lebanese RL squad did). It's the WC blow ins I don't like.

rldfsignature.jpg

#5 Whiskeymack

Whiskeymack
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

It's a good story, however I think the difference is the ICC aren't asking the sporting public to take Serbia seriously as a cricketing nation. 

Rugby league on the other hand is filling world cup squads with heritage players and presenting them as legitimate and important rugby league nations. Serbia aren't going to qualify for a cricket world cup any time soon, Italy who look like they will have significant number of heritage players have an outside shot at making the quarter finals.

Serbia is an interesting curiosity, Italy is ranked in the top 15 and with heritage players is probably a top 10 team. Ultimately there is a difference

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Italy qualified for the WC by beating Lebanon.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

Italy qualified for the WC by beating Lebanon.

And your point is John?

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

And your point is John?

I have a point? ;)

Oh yes, it is that as much as I know what he means, Italy did at least actually qualify for the tournament. Unlike in 2000 where teams were just allowed in regardless.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Basically Italy had a better heritage squad of Aussies to call on than Lebanon did.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Basically Italy had a better heritage squad of Aussies to call on than Lebanon did.

Yeah but still. ...

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yeah but still. ...