Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Club Wembley - Ring of indifference - What is the deal?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

There will be individuals as well as corporate holders of those seats.
I agree with targetting the cororates, but IMHO we ain't going to fill CW anymore than 50% even with spending time and money enticing cororate debenture holders.p

#22 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Why presumably small? I would have thought it would have been a decent chunk, ie the equivalent to the money they would get from that many top priced tickets.

Nah, surely not.

The cost, to the seat holder, must be thought of as a 'bulk buy', at best, and the bulk most are interested in is clearly not the very occasional RL match held at Wembley but the many more soccer games. RL can only be a 'makeweight' at best; I'd guess peanuts goes to the RFL and nowhere near the cost of tickets for an indivisual match.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Nah, surely not.

The cost, to the seat holder, must be thought of as a 'bulk buy', at best, and the bulk most are interested in is clearly not the very occasional RL match held at Wembley but the many more soccer games. RL can only be a 'makeweight' at best; I'd guess peanuts goes to the RFL and nowhere near the cost of tickets for an indivisual match.

its an interesting one this.

surely the RFL should be getting at least say £20 per ticket per year. These tickets cost up to £5k per year for around 10 events so even taking only 0.4% of this would see the RFL getting around £350k per year - i wonder if this is linked to how many actually turn up - that would make Lobbys suggestion worthwhile.

#24 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

It's not a good look on TV when there is that many empty spaces for a grand final as I American friend had asked if Rugby League was not popular.

#25 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Generally with most Stadiums around the world which have their own existing Stadium Memberships, the tenants, in this case the RFL, receive a discount on their hiring for allowing these Stadium Members to attend rather than receiving any revenue based upon attendance/non-attendance.

Most likely when the RFL agreed to go back to Wembley they would have gone the safe option and selected the lower hiring fees, hence why it is included in the Club Wembley packages now.  I'd imagine once the length of their deal (for however long that was) is up, they'll go for the chance of securing the extra revenue just like they did for the RLWC Semi-Final.

Posted Image

#26 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Those of the debenture holders. I'm presumimg that companies by blocks of seats for corporate entertaining. I'd be surprised if seats were purchased by individuals

It's a mixture if both. It think companies that buy them will be in blocks of 8-12 tops as if I remember rightly that is how big the tables get in Bobby Moore suite.

If you can manage to get an appointment with these senior execs I think your time would be better spent trying to get sponsorship from them rather than getting them to show up to an event they already have free tickets for. Focussing on how you want them to come so it looks better on TV would, in my opinion, harm your chances of enticing sponsorship.

Also there are quite a lot of privately held debentures, I think they're £20-50k for a 10 year debenture which is well within spending power of a decent number of high earners in the city so they won't all be corp.

#27 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

its an interesting one this.

surely the RFL should be getting at least say £20 per ticket per year. These tickets cost up to £5k per year for around 10 events so even taking only 0.4% of this would see the RFL getting around £350k per year - i wonder if this is linked to how many actually turn up - that would make Lobbys suggestion worthwhile.

Agree it would, Dave but it never wil be worthwhile because, marvelous as it might be for us, it's pretty unrealistic, to be fair.

You can't really expect a sufficient number of those people, who let's face it, largely bought seats for international soccer matches, to turn up for a rugby match they [mostly] won't have much interest in. At the end of the day, if they can afford to pay a ten-year debenture they are not going to be easily, or cheaply, influenced, imo. Incidentally, I'd guess that as the seat is paid for whether they turn up or not it shouldn't make any difference to what the RFL receives, though who really knows.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users