Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNally Charged

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Or hallucination!

#22 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

U just a nother sad ram comming on stiring things upto get a reaction only you will know why this is . Inho dont get it at all your post was uncalled for as is injury could ave ment not only missing playoffs but time off work . Never in all my years ave i seen a batley player go out to ever inflict a injury on a rival player we play hard but fair as i ave already mentioned u tell me when this as happend ???????

#23 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Greg McNally of Leigh Centurions was cleared of the Grade C charge of striking with his shoulder in a Kingstone Press Championship fixture at Batley Bulldogs on August 26.

Sam Scott (York City Knight) – Grade B use of foul and abusive language to a match official v Batley Bulldogs. One-match suspension.

Doc,

In all honesty, the Leigh DVD does not show McNally make any contact with Campbell. He appears to be rushing to the ref, to point out (rightly) that he had signalled five tackles, when there had only been four, causing Penkywicz's ridiculous offload to Walton, leading to the try. (However, when the ref gave that changeover to Leigh, he was also incorrect, as Batley's kick on the sixth clearly hit a Leigh player!)

McNally never raised his arm at all, and doesn't appear to even see Campbell, as he is so intent on going having a moan at the ref!

#24 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Doc,

In all honesty, the Leigh DVD does not show McNally make any contact with Campbell. He appears to be rushing to the ref, to point out (rightly) that he had signalled five tackles, when there had only been four, causing Penkywicz's ridiculous offload to Walton, leading to the try. (However, when the ref gave that changeover to Leigh, he was also incorrect, as Batley's kick on the sixth clearly hit a Leigh player!)

McNally never raised his arm at all, and doesn't appear to even see Campbell, as he is so intent on going having a moan at the ref!

Of his many misdemeanours in the game, moaning does appear to be his chief attribute, TBF!

#25 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Of his many misdemeanours in the game, moaning does appear to be his chief attribute, TBF!

Was that an apology for the alleged claims...;)
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#26 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

What a joke swearing one match hitting player cleared would love to ave seen the result if it was the other way round.

#27 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

But he obviously did not hit Campbell or else he would have been found guilty. Actually swearing at an official should be a serious offence.

#28 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 810 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

But he obviously did not hit Campbell or else he would have been found guilty. Actually swearing at an official should be a serious offence.

he was found guilty and got after appeal saying he was trying to go to the ref at that moment also seems breaking a cheekbone is aloud due to open season

#29 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Sorry to disagree but campbell face was envidence and although the video wasnt the greatest how was it his was swollen????. Agreed swearing is a offence but not a ban to me a fine and warning then a ban if repeats the offence again

#30 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well we will agree to disagree then

#31 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

The issue here is that, whilst it appeared McNally struck Campbell in the face with his shoulder as he charged past, there's no conclusive evidence that he actually connected or even that he caused the injury in question. The fact that Campbell played on after the incident is in McNally's favour, too. Nothing whatsoever to do with any 'players getting banned for swearing but not for breaking someone's face' argument. I, myself, feel that McNally was probably guilty of striking Campbell, but there's little evidence against him apart from some grainy footage - not even a testimony from the referee or touch judges, as they didn't see what happened.

Edited by TheTerminator, 04 September 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

#32 ian c

ian c
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

he was found guilty and got after appeal saying he was trying to go to the ref at that moment also seems breaking a cheekbone is aloud due to open season

Heard Campbell played the next game is this true? If so did he play with a broken cheekbone?

Edited by ian c, 04 September 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#33 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

He wasn't 'found guilty'. The match review panel recommended to the Disciplinary that he be charged with an offence. The Disciplinary found that he hadn't committed an offence. The Leigh DVD is very clear, although you would need a close up to judge whether contact had been made. If you get to see the Leigh footage, McNally doesn't seem to be aware that Campbell suddenly jumps up - he is intent on getting to the referee. At the last moment, McNally appears to swerve away from the rising Campbell, but McNally's arms are down. If I were going to strike someone, I think I would be looking at what I'm about to strike, and lifting my arm. You can't get much leverage with your arms down by your side.

Also, Campbell could have got that bump at any stage. If his cheek bone was broken he really shouldn't have been allowed to continue playing and then play at York, the week after. Incidentally, I see that the York guy who got sent off for clouting Campbell in that match, also was found to have no charge to answer. (DVD proved inconclusive)

#34 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

I saw the York video and it was on play not on the incident. The two incidents were very different. At York Campbell was prone after the incident and had to be helped off in a state of genuine 'distress.' also the York player was quickly subbed before the ref spoke to the fourth official.
Not sure why the McNally incident is being discussed now. . . It's over with.