Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford's surprise signing is..

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

http://www.wakefield...airman/2013/08/

interesting - £400k short of working capital is not insignificant
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#42 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Smith deal already signed. Kirmond and Amor also signing. Chase done with Sneyd going on loan to cas. Puletua and hock done deals also.

Kirmond is staying at Wakefield.

Posted Image

#43 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

He can't be - Carlos said so
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

I didn't say they should aim for relegation. However I would rather see Wakey invest the money they do have in making the club successful & sustainable for the long term, rather than chucking all the money they do have at the first team squad simply to avoid being relegated.

Bumbling along in the lower reaches of SL season after season isn't the be all and end all for me. There is a reason why after 15 seasons of SL, simply making the play-offs is seen as a major achievement for Wakey. Imagine if Wakey had had a sensible long-term plan when they first came into SL, rather than chucking everything at a succession of fairly average players year after year.

Point taken, but I also take Martyn Sadlers point that relegation could be devastating and from what Mr. Glover says he wants the clubs to stay in SL as they transfer to Newmarket. For me it's a shame that a couple of our big clubs can't get the investors they need to make them even bigger whilst a couple of small clubs seem to have access to unlimited funds.

Nothing against any clubs it just won't IMHO make for the strongest of Superleagues which won't do the game any good, but it's as always every man for himself.

I'm not sure about a "sensible long term plan" even Superleague as whole don't have that. All I saw was Mr. Richardson doing his best to ensure Wakefield stayed in SL and competed a bit. Any "plan" requires money. I don't know of any club who has advanced themselves via an unfinanced plan......

#45 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

http://www.wakefield...airman/2013/08/

Excellent stuff from the Chairman. Wakey to be run as a business. That's what we need if we're to move forward as a club. Next year two clubs go down, London plus one. If we can galvanise the fighting spirit we had when John Kear was coach, when we had a sub-standard team too, then 2014 could be an exciting season, as we scrap for SL survival. If we do go down, it won't be the end, as we'll just have to come back up the next season!

Great that next season's U19s will be full-time for the first time ever. That should see them make some good progress.

#46 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Meli,, McPherson, Puelutua I don't think are classed as overseas players.

Raparia and Sau will count.

Home trained will be Williams, Fages, Gleeson, Ashurst, Dixon, Evalds, Ford, Owen, Griffin (if he stays)

Released or signed elsewhere Godwin, Gibson, Broughton,Neal

#47 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Point taken, but I also take Martyn Sadlers point that relegation could be devastating and from what Mr. Glover says he wants the clubs to stay in SL as they transfer to Newmarket. For me it's a shame that a couple of our big clubs can't get the investors they need to make them even bigger whilst a couple of small clubs seem to have access to unlimited funds.

Nothing against any clubs it just won't IMHO make for the strongest of Superleagues which won't do the game any good, but it's as always every man for himself.

I assume your not saying Wakefield are a big club, surely they are not significantly bigger (or any bigger for that matter) than the couple of smaller clubs you refer to

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I find the 'sugar daddy' comments quite poor from people in official roles. It reads a little like feeling sorry for yourself.

The biggest and best clubs are the biggest and best clubs because they are run the best - irrespective of a sugar daddy.

#49 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

I find the 'sugar daddy' comments quite poor from people in official roles. It reads a little like feeling sorry for yourself.

The biggest and best clubs are the biggest and best clubs because they are run the best - irrespective of a sugar daddy.

Couldn't agree more

Posted Image

#50 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

To be fair I don't think the "sugar daddy" comment is a side swipe at other clubs, I think he's trying to make it clear that unless people support Waley and buy memberships the club is under threat.

I read it as him saying it won't all come out alright even if you don't support the club, It was a call to action for fans letting them now the situation is potentially dire.

#51 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Meli,, McPherson, Puelutua I don't think are classed as overseas players.

Raparia and Sau will count.

Home trained will be Williams, Fages, Gleeson, Ashurst, Dixon, Evalds, Ford, Owen, Griffin (if he stays)

Released or signed elsewhere Godwin, Gibson, Broughton,Neal

I think Meli & McPherson are exempt & counted as Federation trained players (as Meli was here when the rules changed in 2008 & McPherson was left high & dry when Crusaders went belly up). Puletua, Rapira, Sau, Jordan Davies & Chase should all count as non-federation trained (limit 5). Fages, Evalds & Owen will all be classed as club-trained (at least 8 required). Adam Walne, Jordan Walne & Will Hope would also be club trained if they are part of the 25 next year.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of next Thursday's launch. Expect a few other players to be on an exemption.

#52 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I thought the wakey chairman's statement was good......no BS, no jargon.....very human and honest

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

To be fair I don't think the "sugar daddy" comment is a side swipe at other clubs, I think he's trying to make it clear that unless people support Waley and buy memberships the club is under threat.

I read it as him saying it won't all come out alright even if you don't support the club, It was a call to action for fans letting them now the situation is potentially dire.

he did all that in the paragraphs that didnt contain the sugar daddy comment.

i agree with others that it was a nice honest statement, not sure why he had to compare to others. The issue is that Wakefield's income us not high enough.

#54 R J Wagsmith

R J Wagsmith
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

On Thursday 5th September when Salford have a 12 o'clock press conference to announce new signings. the Good Doctor has a horse running in the 2.00pm at Haydock. It's called "Rangi Chase". Gosh, could this be some sort of clue?

#55 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

He can't be - Carlos said so

I spoke to the guy who told me this earlier today to tell him looks like it ain't true and he told me its still happening and that rejection was days ago. ! Will see hey. You seem to disapprove of anything i put on here yet i guess you'll find out in a few days.

#56 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think Meli & McPherson are exempt & counted as Federation trained players (as Meli was here when the rules changed in 2008 & McPherson was left high & dry when Crusaders went belly up). Puletua, Rapira, Sau, Jordan Davies & Chase should all count as non-federation trained (limit 5). Fages, Evalds & Owen will all be classed as club-trained (at least 8 required). Adam Walne, Jordan Walne & Will Hope would also be club trained if they are part of the 25 next year.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of next Thursday's launch. Expect a few other players to be on an exemption.

Jordan Davies is British. He played amateur RL in Salford then went to union for a while before being upgraded back into League by Salford. Won't he count as Federation trained?

#57 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I spoke to the guy who told me this earlier today to tell him looks like it ain't true and he told me its still happening and that rejection was days ago. ! Will see hey. You seem to disapprove of anything i put on here yet i guess you'll find out in a few days.

Well, we've signed Steve Rapira for the second row, and supposedly Gareth Hock. One of our current second rowers - Andrew Dixon - has been one of our better players this season, so I can't see him missing out in 2014 (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he became captain) so, unless we're going with a four man second row in a union stylee, I find the Kirmond signing unlikely. Or Hock. One or the other. We'll see.

Edited by Red John, 31 August 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#58 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

rapira will play 13

#59 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

On Thursday 5th September when Salford have a 12 o'clock press conference to announce new signings. the Good Doctor has a horse running in the 2.00pm at Haydock. It's called "Rangi Chase". Gosh, could this be some sort of clue?

In the 3.00 the Doc has 2 runners at the mo - `Our Red Devil` and also `Brian Noble` - sponsored by `BETFRED RED DEVILS´ - getting interesting isnt it and Dr Koukash continues to give Rugby League in general a great push. Well done that man.

#60 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

and Tomkins is staying at wigan, eastmond is going back to saints and theres 110lb of bacon flying over my house!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users