Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford's surprise signing is..

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Weaker clubs fail due to poor infrastructure not lack of sugar daddy. Clubs with sugar daddies still fail if the infrastructure is not right - that is my point, and Wakefield blaming a lack of sugar daddy for their woes is a poor excuse.

Not for me. Don't want to list them all but most clubs who have failed cannot plug financial gaps of typically £half a million.

Without the money being gifted either they overspend to win games and keep the crowds up and get into debt deeper, or they cut the playing budget and lose games and the fans drift off and they spiral down anyway. Wakefield's sale of Tim Smith is to plug the gap in the finances. Had Moran been at Wakefield he'd have been buying in such as Chase.

To me the economics are simple, all M62 clubs have a sum they need to get to to buy a competitive team. They need a nice ground to maximise the fans and the take from the fans, and if that isn't enough they need a private input of cash to make up the shortfall.

I don't understand what income "infrastructure" creates for a club unless you mean a modern ground. Wire have managed to get their's Castleford for instance haven't.

#82 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

It also leaves us without a big name full back ( although I would be perfectly happy with Niall Evalds)

Marc Sneyd has spent a large part of the season at full back, so another option is to keep him at the club. Hope so.

#83 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Federation trained is that they spent 3 seasons basically with a SL team before they were 21. Club trained is that they spent it with that club. Jordan Davies probably wasn't with a SL team for 3 seasons before he was 21 so should be non-federation trained. There may be some work around, but the idea is to encourage clubs to produce their own players & clearly Jordan Davies isn't a product of the Salford system.

Is there any exemption for players rescued from RU?

#84 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Not for me. Don't want to list them all but most clubs who have failed cannot plug financial gaps of typically £half a million.

Without the money being gifted either they overspend to win games and keep the crowds up and get into debt deeper, or they cut the playing budget and lose games and the fans drift off and they spiral down anyway. Wakefield's sale of Tim Smith is to plug the gap in the finances. Had Moran been at Wakefield he'd have been buying in such as Chase.

To me the economics are simple, all M62 clubs have a sum they need to get to to buy a competitive team. They need a nice ground to maximise the fans and the take from the fans, and if that isn't enough they need a private input of cash to make up the shortfall.

I don't understand what income "infrastructure" creates for a club unless you mean a modern ground. Wire have managed to get their's Castleford for instance haven't.

Without wishing to put words in someone else's mouth (and yet doing exactly that). I'd guess the other correspondent was using the term 'infrastructure' in the broadest sense to include the way the club conducts itself in its relations with its supporters and the wider community, rather than just referring to tangible assets like the stadium. Off the top of my head I'd include things like having atttractive merchandise available, having an on-line presence, making tickets easy to obtain, having an attractive 'matchday experience', that kind of stuff. Behind the scenes, ensuring that the training facilities are top notch to help attract better players. It all costs money, and clubs without money tend to leave these behind.

Edited by Red John, 01 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#85 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

the fact there are large gaps is exactly my point. the best clubs have large turnovers irrespective of 'sugar daddies'.

tbh it sounds like we were agreeing and you missed my point slightly.

if Moran was at Wakefield he'd probably have to spend his investment plugging the gap just like Hughes at London and Hudgell at KR and Wilkinson at Salford. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that they had spent more than Moran.

#86 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Without wishing to put words in someone else's mouth (and yet doing exactly that). I'd guess the other correspondent was using the term 'infrastructure' in the broadest sense to include the way the club conducts itself in its relations with its supporters and the wider community, rather than just referring to tangible assets like the stadium. Off the top of my head I'd include things like having atttractive merchandise available, having an on-line presence, making tickets easy to obtain, having an attractive 'matchday experience', that kind of stuff. Behind the scenes, ensuring that the training facilities are top notch to help attract better players. It all costs money, and clubs without money tend to leave these behind.

correct John, thanks.

Anyway apologies for taking this ott somewhat.

Exciting times for Salford, looking forward to more detail coming out next week.
I do hope that the fans get behind them and are patient. I remember when we signed Langer, Gee and Nikau and were still rubbish. There are no guarantees of success.

#87 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

I know now!

It is not happening

I suggest you find a new source

haha

I really wish I could tell you the source, then you might believe me!! Not bothered whether you doubt me or not, just tryingt o clear up some of the rumours for more solid facts from the horses mouth.

#88 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Is there any exemption for players rescued from RU?

Not that I am aware of. It would be difficult to justify.

#89 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

I have to say that if the majority of the strongly rumoured signings come off I'd be suspicious that Salford would be breaching the cap. I know the likes of Leeds and Wire have a lot of big name players, but they're big clubs who constantly challenge for silverware, so players would likely sign smaller contracts to be there. Salford aren't a big side and a lot of their appeal for players must surely be large contracts?

#90 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

It also leaves us without a big name full back ( although I would be perfectly happy with Niall Evalds)

Lance Hohaia - NZ international fullback

Edited by Oracle, 02 September 2013 - 03:36 AM.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#91 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Lance Hohaia - NZ international fullback

Chris Sandow. SH for the Eels to play FB

#92 SCRseadiver

SCRseadiver
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Chris Sandow. SH for the Eels to play FB

I am beginning to think you are Neil Barker. :onthequiet:

If,on Thursday,Chris Sandow is on the link,from the rehab clinic,and he has signed for Salford,it will be the biggest shock,for me,for over the last 12 months.

#93 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

tbh i dont know nothing about him as I havent followed NRL for a while in any great detail, its just the name I was told about. Strieks me as odd that hes always played int eh halves, to come as a FB.

#94 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

I have to say that if the majority of the strongly rumoured signings come off I'd be suspicious that Salford would be breaching the cap. I know the likes of Leeds and Wire have a lot of big name players, but they're big clubs who constantly challenge for silverware, so players would likely sign smaller contracts to be there. Salford aren't a big side and a lot of their appeal for players must surely be large contracts?

If all the rumours were correct Koukash would be unveiling a squad of 35 , thats why rumours are called ......rumours , best way would be to wait two more days and hear it ' from the horses mouth ' .

Post announcement before the avalanche  of Salary cap experts converge onto the forum to cry ' foul play ' . remember that Salford were assett stripped in 2012 & over the close season with all their high wage earners departed or retired - Patten - Moon . Matty Smith , Holdsworth , other higher contracted players were let go - Paleaasina -Vinnie Anderson - Adamson. 

The remainder of the squad a high proportion  will not be retained or have been let go already:- another 10-12 further players.

The end result salford  will be left with a nucleus of young Academy Players , the recent signings - Griffin - Emmitt , and more available Salary cap to spend than any other SL club , and spent it they will .

Edited by Middleman, 02 September 2013 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users