Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Britain

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Here's some good news at least. (Daily Mail linky)

Although, a delusional immigrant blaming other immigrants for messing up Britain is a bit hard to take.  He comes into the US, refuses to learn to speak proper American English, insists on eating his own culture's food and then won't stop harping on about his own country.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Although, a delusional immigrant blaming other immigrants for messing up Britain is a bit hard to take.  He comes into the US, refuses to learn to speak proper American English, insists on eating his own culture's food and then won't stop harping on about his own country.

He luvs 'is mutha tho ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Having saved up for many years in order to enjoy my retirement, I now have to accept puny interest rates - having paid up to 15% interest on my mortgage in the eighties. Annuities are at there lowest ever and my wife is faced with another six years work before she can take her state pension. On the up side, I did take a 226 pension policy out in 1986 that is paying me 10% return, which should see me recover the fund value in 10 years. As for my annuity, I will be aged 95, if I live to that age of course, before getting a full return of my fund value.

As for life in general, I am pretty laid back so far as politics are concerned and I am powerless to change the world's problems. I love hiking in our wonderful countryside, enjoy taking my grandchild Jessica out in her pram and watching rugby league. I have enjoyed a great holiday on the Isle of Wight this year, and just returned from an amazing holiday in Poland, where I visited the intriguing Salt Mine, with its cathedral made out of salt being the main attraction. That said, I did feel humbled after visiting the former concentration camp.

All in all, I do feel for those who suffer, both at home and abroad, but will the world's problems ever be put to right?

Who was your financial advisor?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 03 September 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Although, a delusional immigrant blaming other immigrants for messing up Britain is a bit hard to take. He comes into the US, refuses to learn to speak proper American English, insists on eating his own culture's food and then won't stop harping on about his own country.

Jones may be a bit of a plonker but nonetheless many of the things he says are true. Many places in England are unrecognisable from the places they were not even that long ago. Bradford certainly is. And it seems to be that the only people denying it have well paid jobs and live nowhere near the affected areas.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#45 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Who was your financial advisor?

I don't see your point unless you are trolling once more, because it's known on here that I was a financial advisor! I don't have a say on annuity rates, interest rates or mortgage rates. My retirement has coincided with a downturn all round and which is affecting many people. Also, my wife cannot do anything about her retirement age going up. All the financial planning in the world can go up in smoke due to such as the banking crisis. 

Many people lost all their pension entitlements due to companies going bust. Did they choose the wrong advisor, or just something beyond their control and a scandal at that? 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#46 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Jones may be a bit of a plonker but nonetheless many of the things he says are true. Many places in England are unrecognisable from the places they were not even that long ago. Bradford certainly is. And it seems to be that the only people denying it have well paid jobs and live nowhere near the affected areas.

I suppose this thread's as good as any to get into immigration...

I read a very good article a few years back (2009-11 ish) that spent a lot of time analysing government decisions, local funding and immigration.  It essentially showed that immigration in most areas in Britain had a neutral effect on employment in an area as many immigrants create their own work and often create work for others.  It showed no positive impact from immigration but then it showed no real negatives either.  It balanced everything from many NHS trusts being so reliant on immigrants that they would collapse immediately if they couldn't recruit them to the more negative sides of immigrant ghettos where you're only getting a job with an immigrant if you're an immigrant yourself.

The biggest impact on an area, and the one that politicians are happy to let the media ignore with the concentration on immigration, is central and local government funding decisions.  The trend showed that governments tend to concentrate their investment on the marginal seats of the UK.  For example, Thatcher invested a good bit in many of the dockyard areas that were Tory sympathetic but not safe seats while she let Liverpool and Glasgow wither away without almost a second glance.  A navy friend of mine told me years ago that you know which government is in by whether Portsmouth or Rosyth and Clyde dockyards are getting refurbished.  Same with the economic challenges of the 80s and early 90s, the Tories invested in regeneration for marginal places to help them stay in power but let the old mining communities in the north of England, Wales and Scotland die without a bean of investment.  Blair did the same, marginal areas got investment, a telling example was in Scotland when the SNP were making good inroads into Labour heartlands, Labour made some strategic decisions on shipbuilding and maintenance contracts that helped shore up some wavering constituencies.

Gordon Brown just didn't get that quite as well as Thatcher, Major and Blair did and genuinely tried to be less selective about his government's investments.  There are a good few seats lost in 2010 that could have easily been saved with even a bit of investment.  Redcar is the biggest example, just a wee bit of love and help in the area and the anger towards the government's inaction may have been turned elsewhere.

If you live in an area where your MP is so secure that he doesn't even have to bother campaigning then your likelihood of getting government intervention or investment in your area is almost none.  It's far easier for the government to let the nasty immigrants take all the flak for an area's degeneration when much of it can be targeted quite clearly at the government letting an area die because they couldn't care about it or its voters.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#47 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

I doubt Vinnie Jones lives in the rough house parts of LA, which will be no better if not a thousand times worse than even the roughest parts of Britain given the easy availability of guns in his newfound paradise, so he isn't comparing like with like.

Plus, as ckn says, I can do without people like Vinnie Jones who have taken advantage of another country's immigration policy to set up home there, moaning about the fact that Britain accepts immigrants too. It is rank hypocrisy.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I doubt Vinnie Jones lives in the rough house parts of LA, which will be no better if not a thousand times worse than even the roughest parts of Britain given the easy availability of guns in his newfound paradise, so he isn't comparing like with like.

Plus, as ckn says, I can do without people like Vinnie Jones who have taken advantage of another country's immigration policy to set up home there, moaning about the fact that Britain accepts immigrants too. It is rank hypocrisy.

I totally agree with you, seriously, but that doesn't change the way it is. I am one of the very few people left who will defend Bradford but even I can't ignore what is happening. There is nothing wrong with immigration, my parents were immigrants but it is different today. Immigrants are not merely blending in - they are actively creating ghettos. That is natural but it shouldn't be ignored by the government else we will be looking at a terrible situation. Because of work I know many immigrants from Poland, Afghanistan etc and I can tell you that *they* are angry with the way their fellow immigrants refuse to integrate and play the system.

#49 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Why is it up to the immigrants to integrate?

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Why is it up to the immigrants to integrate?

Oh just everyday stuff like learning the language etc.
Because it is immigrants that move to a new country. I don't think British should be allowed to drink in Saudi Arabia or something.

But if you feel it is desirable to have a bunch of people cut aside by language barriers etc causing resentment and division then that's up to you.

#51 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Whether we intervene with military action or not, I doubt it will end terrorism. The world is such that we will never have total harmony amongst nations. Sadly, many people young and old will never see another sunset

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

England is a European country. I am so glad Vinnie Jones has informed me of that.

Still, an immigrant complaining about immigrants; wonders never cease.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#53 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I thought Vinnie Jones is Welsh?

Edited by archibald, 03 September 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

England is a European country. I am so glad Vinnie Jones has informed me of that.

Still, an immigrant complaining about immigrants; wonders never cease.

I already highlighted a case that I know of where 'immigrants are complaining about immigrants'. Are they Xenophobic too? Or maybe they just realise it is the feckless ones that give them a bad name and resent them?

Immigration is a serious concern for many people today and it is only the well off, or live in unaffected areas that can afford to dismiss the matter. Immigrants have always come to this country, lived in certain areas for a bit but generally moved out to the wider area. What is happening today is different. I base this on what I see happening, not some DM report either. I know what I know, however uncomfortable it might make me feel to acknowledge it.

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

We'll have anybody!!

To be fair, he worked his socks off in international games for us.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#56 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

In the same way Lee Briers is.

#57 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

In the same way Lee Briers is.

ie. Welsh.

#58 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

ie. Welsh.

Yes. Just like Iestyn Harris is too.

#59 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

I already highlighted a case that I know of where 'immigrants are complaining about immigrants'. Are they Xenophobic too? Or maybe they just realise it is the feckless ones that give them a bad name and resent them?

Immigration is a serious concern for many people today and it is only the well off, or live in unaffected areas that can afford to dismiss the matter. Immigrants have always come to this country, lived in certain areas for a bit but generally moved out to the wider area. What is happening today is different. I base this on what I see happening, not some DM report either. I know what I know, however uncomfortable it might make me feel to acknowledge it.

"Are they xenophobic too?" Are you saying Vinnie Jones is xenophobic? I thought he'd left that sort of stuff behind him when he became a luvvie.

"... it is only the well off, or [those who] live in unaffected areas that can afford to dismiss the matter." I'm not sure who you think is dismissing the matter, but are there no well-off immigrants? Do they not move next to well off people? Compete with them? And where are these unaffected areas that have no inward migration?

I just find it amusing that migrants can have such negative feelings about migration.

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Why? If you moved from a country full of fascists, would it mean you couldn't complain if some of those fascists moved to the same country? Just because you were an immigrant?

And rich immigrants are never a problem because they scratch a few backs and the job is sorted. Like it always has been.

Edited by Johnoco, 03 September 2013 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users