Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

In February 2011 they went into administration and nearly out of existence. 2 1/2 yrs later they are pleading with the fans and sponsors to help the through their crisis - a £400k shortfall in working capital.

For the past 18 months we've heard nothing but praise for Wakefield and how they've gone about their business - new stadium on the horizon and I think it was Goldcoaster who said they are probably the most attractive club for a wealthy backer

So where's it all gone wrong? Wa Glover not the man they thought he was? Cheap tickets? over inflated salaries?

To be in this state so soon after admin is not exactly heartwarming.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Must admit it seems odd to an outsider. I thought the future was bright?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Agar become full time coach of the French team at the end of the season.

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

wakey will always be just making up the numbers in sl- shame but modern sport is structured in such a way that money rules- loyalty and honesty are things of the past, rip wakey

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

The problem at Wakey is that they are trying to live with the unrealistic expectations of the licensing system with an owner who is merely wealthy, rather than rich.

Hopefully they and the others in a similar position can limp through to the end of this disasterous experiement and then go on to prosper once sanity is restored in 2015.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

The problem at Wakey is that they are trying to live with the unrealistic expectations of the licensing system with an owner who is merely wealthy, rather than rich.

Hopefully they and the others in a similar position can limp through to the end of this disasterous experiement and then go on to prosper once sanity is restored in 2015.

They weren't exactly prospering under the old system were they? Yet since licensing they have started getting their act together and this is a bad thing? I think licensing has given them a kick up the arris and that they would be in a much worse scenario had it not been for that.

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong at Wakey. Glover came in and brought the club into some stability, but he isn't a Koucash type with loads of money. Now that we have stability, we need to increase our income if we are to compete with the big boys. If we can't increase our income, then we need to mix with the next batch, which is bottom of SL & the bigger Championship clubs. What we can't do though is pretend that the world owes us a living or that somehow we deserve more income. We have to earn it, and there is no reason why we can't do so with good planning.

The chairman seems to have been very honest and set out the real situation, which is refreshingly honest.

#8 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong at Wakey. Glover came in and brought the club into some stability, but he isn't a Koucash type with loads of money. Now that we have stability, we need to increase our income if we are to compete with the big boys. If we can't increase our income, then we need to mix with the next batch, which is bottom of SL & the bigger Championship clubs. What we can't do though is pretend that the world owes us a living or that somehow we deserve more income. We have to earn it, and there is no reason why we can't do so with good planning.
The chairman seems to have been very honest and set out the real situation, which is refreshingly honest.

You'll know more than me about this but selling season tickets at half price seems to be counter productive. It didn't work at Bradford and the Wildcats seem to have suffered a similar fate. Yes, both clubs sold them in good numbers and attendances soared but the income generated simply isn't enough. The problem now is how do you bump up the prices sufficiently to pay your way and at the same time keep the same healthy crowd figures?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#9 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can you point me in the direction of these half price tickets please Terry, cos I pay the best part of £200.

Or is it another Internet forum myth?

#10 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

You'll know more than me about this but selling season tickets at half price seems to be counter productive. It didn't work at Bradford and the Wildcats seem to have suffered a similar fate. Yes, both clubs sold them in good numbers and attendances soared but the income generated simply isn't enough. The problem now is how do you bump up the prices sufficiently to pay your way and at the same time keep the same healthy crowd figures?

It's got to be gradual growth for Wakey. The increase in crowd numbers has certainly made watching Wakey a much more enjoyable experience, but we need to ensure that the income from the spectator base is increased.

#11 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Let's get something straight Wakefield are no where near going bust or into Administration!

What the new Chairman is saying is that over the whole course of a business year Wakefield would need an extra £400k to maintain their current position/status etc

They are "underfunded to the tune of £400k per year"

Season tickets are not half price and the discount is somewhat offset by the increased retail revenue within the ground.

The problems have been largely created through the incompetence of one individual.. Nuff said!

Edited by OMEGA, 31 August 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

Well I hope so. I don't want to see any RL club in the mire

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Let's get something straight Wakefield are no where near going bust or into Administration!
What the new Chairman is saying is that over the whole course of a business year Wakefield would need an extra £400k to maintain their current position/status etc
They are "underfunded to the tune of £400k per year"
Season tickets are not half price and the discount is somewhat offset by the increased retail revenue within the ground.
The problems have been largely created through the incompetence of one individual.. Nuff said!

Who would that individual be?

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

Can you point me in the direction of these half price tickets please Terry, cos I pay the best part of £200.

Or is it another Internet forum myth?

is £200 the cheapest adult season ticket? it is at many clubs, and I must admit I thought Wakey were selling at below this level.

#15 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Wakefield did sell at half price for people that got their tickets early enough

I paid a visit to Wakefield recently to watch them play Wigan, a Wakey fan friend of mine sorted tickets out for me to collect from the ticket office

To say what followed was about as amateurish shambles as its possible to get and my whole trip to the place left me thinking how utterly poorly run the whole place was - good crowd inside but there seemed to be a noticeable lack of any real way to increase ground revenue

Which at least means they can improve, but leaves the question why wasn't it done sooner

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

Well said. Mr. Glover is exactly the man he claimed to be. He was very clear he had no money to put in but would run it as a business in terms of the club not going into debt. After a short period of making improvements to the ground and getting the crowds up (well done Mr. Glover) he can now be honest and say that the club is £400K a year short and sell Tim smith to cover that.

This is no suprise and is in line with the sort of shortfalls several other SL clubs have. Neil Hudgell is good enough to explain how HKR are £500K a year short. Castleford are short of the money they need to compete.

Glover never promised to be a private benefactor for Wakefield, but he's steadied the ship. For me he recognises how Newmarket can be the saviour and without that I would guess he would not have taken Wakefield on. It's tiresome people calling some clubs paragons of business virtue and shining examples of how a club should be run (e.g. Fev) when in reality they just have access to private money. Equally it's tiresome when clubs are called "badly managed" just because their local area don't support them in enough numbers to make them viable for SL.  I don't think Cas are "badly run" just because they cannot get the ground at Glasshoughton going.

Glover, Chapman or Fulton, they are all a credit to the game.

Edited by The Parksider, 01 September 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

For the past 18 months we've heard nothing but praise for Wakefield and how they've gone about their business - new stadium on the horizon and I think it was Goldcoaster who said they are probably the most attractive club for a wealthy backer

There have been plenty of people here and elsewhere that have highlighted that mr Glover doesn't have the required funds to make a lasting difference at Trinity. There have been plenty of people that have pointed out that he's still got the same useless CEO in charge as slippery Ted had. The fact that a load of lazy journalists haven't reported this says something about their professional credibility. .

Personally I'd like to ask Mr Elston what he's got to say for himself. He has after all wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds paying rubbish players decent salaries (or paying off or heavily subsidising their loan moves) that he signed before Agar came in that aren't good enough.

Glover has run it as a hobby. On the lash with Elston most games and the line between employer and employee simply isn't there, they've become good mates and it's that relationship that has protected Elston.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 01 September 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#18 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think the discounted season tickets have served their primary purpose which was to increase the crowd numbers. Similarly the construction of the two new stands. The return to full price ticketing would have been easier to phase in if Newmarket had been available. Unfortunately we're still stuck at Belle Vue and have had a relatively poor season so the newbies don't really fancy paying full whack.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#19 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

What Wakefield need is the new ground with its extra revenue streams, but that's out of their hands at the moment.

#20 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

is £200 the cheapest adult season ticket? it is at many clubs, and I must admit I thought Wakey were selling at below this level.

£180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users