TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

What Wakefield need is the new ground with its extra revenue streams, but that's out of their hands at the moment.

You need to be sure about those "extra revenue streams". Our financial situation meant that we lost control of that aspect when we got our new ground. The fact that we now don't get those revenue streams* is one of the problems that Dr Koukash is trying hard to overcome.

* As far as I know.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 League Express

League Express
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

PRESS RELEASE

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Chairman, Michael Carter, has released the following statement:

Following the announcement of my position as Chairman of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, I would firstly like to thank all those fans that have wished me well in the role.

Having conducted a review of the whole business and in particular the finances of the club, it has become obviously apparent that the club is completely under capitalised at this time to the tune of somewhere in the region of £400,000. It's no secret that the vast majority of Super League clubs all need significant investment and this is usually financed by wealthy owners. Wakefield doesn't have one of these, so to be a success we need the people and businesses of Wakefield to come forward.

This has led to a restructure in the top management at the club and ultimately it is now myself and another director, Chris Brereton, who are managing the club on a day-to-day basis. We are two fans who have stepped forward to try and pull this club through what is a very difficult situation and we would appreciate your full support in these testing times.

Therefore, ultimately it was my decision to sell Tim Smith to Salford with immediate effect for a substantial fee. I would also say that on the same day I turned down an offer of a substantial six-figure sum for our captain Danny Kirmond. Having spoken to Danny during the week and explaining that I want to try and build a team around him, he told me he was perfectly happy at Wakefield and is happy to lead from the front. As has already been announced, Danny has signed a new deal and my ultimate aim is to see him leading us out at Newmarket as a Super League club.

For that to happen, we need all the fans of the club and local businesses to really step forward and show how much it means. We are confident that we have a business plan in place that can see us as a competitive team in Super League 2014. However, we cannot do it without immediate cash inflows including, but not exclusively, 2014 Memberships. We feel they still represent excellent value.

We have budgeted for 4,000 sales. If we sell more than this, I guarantee that these funds will be ploughed back into the team for next season. However, without any sugar daddy waiting in the wings, I have to run this club as a business. Expenditure must equal income. If there are people out there willing to invest in this great club then they must come forward now.

On the positive side, we have managed to extend the contracts of some of our key players. I have already mentioned Danny, but also Dean Collis and most recently Lee Smith and Ali Lauitiiti have all signed up for next season.

We are also soon to launch our Sport & Education Academy. We want to make this college the best around in terms of providing further and higher education to young people looking to get a sporting qualification. It will also generate funds that again will be ploughed back into the running of the club.

It also means that our under 19's Academy side will become full-time next season for the first time in the clubs history which is quite an achievement. We would love to have a team of homegrown players playing in front of Wakefield fans. This college also strengthens our position in the local community, something that our community team have quite rightly been praised for by many people and organisations - local people supporting local people.

I know that you as fans will have many more questions. I am arranging to meet with the Supporters Trust this week to try and explain the actions we are taking. I have always been an open and honest person, and where possible, I will aim to answer all questions if I possibly can.

I know with a lot of hard work and a little luck, we can get this club to Newmarket as a Super League club. It is more important than ever that you stick with me and my small team to manage this business properly. Should there be anything of great magnitude I will endeavour to tell you all as soon as I possibly can.

The question remains, does this great city of Wakefield want a full-time professional Super League club, or not? If the answer is yes, then I need your support more than ever before.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well said. Mr. Glover is exactly the man he claimed to be. He was very clear he had no money to put in but would run it as a business in terms of the club not going into debt. After a short period of making improvements to the ground and getting the crowds up (well done Mr. Glover) he can now be honest and say that the club is £400K a year short and sell Tim smith to cover that.

This is no suprise and is in line with the sort of shortfalls several other SL clubs have. Neil Hudgell is good enough to explain how HKR are £500K a year short. Castleford are short of the money they need to compete.

Glover never promised to be a private benefactor for Wakefield, but he's steadied the ship. For me he recognises how Newmarket can be the saviour and without that I would guess he would not have taken Wakefield on. It's tiresome people calling some clubs paragons of business virtue and shining examples of how a club should be run (e.g. Fev) when in reality they just have access to private money. Equally it's tiresome when clubs are called "badly managed" just because their local area don't support them in enough numbers to make them viable for SL. I don't think Cas are "badly run" just because they cannot get the ground at Glasshoughton going.

Glover, Chapman or Fulton, they are all a credit to the game.

Very good post Parky, cannot agree more.

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

The absence of James Elston's name in the statement from Carter Mr Carter speaks volumes.
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#25 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Cant knock people who put money into any club whether it be Leeds, Wigan or North Wales, Gateshead Thunder etc. Throwing money around does not make a club well run or professional. As we have seen in SL , most are poorly run and think short term instead of long term and what is best for the club and game. With respect to many people who are working at SL clubs, is the case they know somebody or was a former player. That might be OK at amateur leve,l but as a business, which most Professional Clubs claim to be its not. For me as a business, I would want to emply the right people with the most experience and success that I could afford. Hiring somebody with next to know experience just because he was a loyal or good rugby player for me is crazy. Paying out money that I do not have is crazy. Trying to cut corners by throwing free or dirt cheap tickets away like a number of clubs seem happy to do with no plan is crazy.

Since SL started I do feel that clubs in general have moved away from the things that made them what they are. Being part of the community is more than just throwing tickets around or sending some players to some schools. There has to be a plan/strategy/framework with what you are trying to achieve whether that be marketing, community work, coaching etc with regular reviews and ammendments. It concerns me that so many SL clubs have not just problems but the same problems and the attitude is we are in SL and just doing the bare minimum to stay in and hoping we can stay there. There are major problems in our game and for me the RFL and Clubs are doing it all wrong by just constantly changing and hoping without seeing where often the problems are and what needs to happen. I hope Wakefield sort things out but it needs more than just people throwing money in for it to change

#26 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

My understanding is that the RFL have been very supportive of Wakefield, recognising the potential the club has, but also recognising that Glover's position as chairman was untenable.  

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#27 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

My understanding is that the RFL have been very supportive of Wakefield, recognising the potential the club has, but also recognising that Glover's position as chairman was untenable.

Not sure the RFL had much choice after failing Wakefield last time round, whilst bending over backwards for the "iconic" Bulls.

I think the move to change the leagues and drop licensing is to help the RFL lose the mantle of responsibility for the clubs performance.

In future the clubs are likely to find themselves on their own!

#28 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Can you point me in the direction of these half price tickets please Terry, cos I pay the best part of £200.
Or is it another Internet forum myth?

No it's not a forum myth. According to the advertising board at the top my road it stated that half price season tickets were available if purchased by a certain date which many apparently did. If I remember rightly adult season tickets were advertised at £125
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#29 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

No it's not a forum myth. According to the advertising board at the top my road it stated that half price season tickets were available if purchased by a certain date which many apparently did. If I remember rightly adult season tickets were advertised at £125

Sorry but you are wrong they started at £150 for gold members a few weeks ago with a short window they have been priced at £180 up until yesterday with a monthly payment plan along with a platinum option (£350-£380) not sure what they will g to now but the £125 is just duff gen that was last season HTH

#30 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

£150 if renewed before August I renewed mine last week £180 which is normal price the gold membership season ticket. Don't know where the half price has come from

Edited by WakefieldCityLoyal, 01 September 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#31 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sorry but you are wrong they started at £150 for gold members a few weeks ago with a short window they have been priced at £180 up until yesterday with a monthly payment plan along with a platinum option (£350-£380) not sure what they will g to now but the £125 is just duff gen that was last season HTH

I'm talking about the advertising at the start of this current season not for next season. Wakey have had to manage the club all year on the half price season tickets which were sold before the start of this season ie £125

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

£180

Wrong. £125.

http://www.wakefield...cing-structure/

Edited by Dave T, 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#33 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

So last seasons tickets were meant to be £250 . We have sold discounted season tickets for the last 2 seasons to get the crowds in which it has but has cost us in revenue This season it's £180 gold £360 Platinum

Edited by WakefieldCityLoyal, 01 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#34 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Wrong. £125.

Thats this season £180 next season

#35 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Wrong. £125.

Thanks Dave, I wasn't imagining things after all.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thats this season £180 next season

Yes, sorry I was talking about this season as it is now that there is the shortfall.

#37 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm talking about the advertising at the start of this current season not for next season. Wakey have had to manage the club all year on the half price season tickets which were sold before the start of this season ie £125

Sorry wrong again they stared at this price again if purchased before the end of August 2012 then stepped up to £250

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sorry wrong again they stared at this price again if purchased before the end of August 2012 then stepped up to £250

Actually you are also wrong. Look at my link above it tells you the timescales.

#39 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Wrong. £125.

Eh?

I have just paid £180, as stated quite clearly in my post and you use last years prices to tell me I don't know what I paid???

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Eh?

I have just paid £180, as stated quite clearly in my post and you use last years prices to tell me I don't know what I paid???

Actually that's not what you posted.

Terry was clearly talking about the current season ticket prices, you asked where these cheap prices are as you PAY £200 not, paid is in just now. The prices may have gone up now due to the issues you have, but people were clearly talking about the current season.

It's clear now you weren't talking about the current season, but next year's prices are not really relevant to the discussion about current financial shortfalls (apart from being a solution for the future).

Edited by Dave T, 01 September 2013 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users