Wakefield

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Best part of £200...I paid £180 on Thursday.

Has someone posted that last years tickets were £125?

Is that half price?

The talk coming out of Wakefield now suggests that it's not simply a balance of players wages and paying customers - see the excellent crowds Wakey have generated, a minority being STs - but more to with key officials paying themselves and their wives some questionable "fees".

As an example, apparently "our" dance troupe...well, look and ye shall see.

#42 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Is that half price?

The talk coming out of Wakefield now suggests that it's not simply a balance of players wages and paying customers - see the excellent crowds Wakey have generated, a minority being STs - but more to with key officials paying themselves and their wives some questionable "fees".

As an example, apparently "our" dance troupe...well, look and ye shall see.

Is that why Elston's wife is tweeting about finding out who her friends are?

#43 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Is that why Elston's wife is tweeting about finding out who her friends are?

Yes.

She was paid...no, no, no, stop...

#44 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Seems to me an awfully gleeful OP from Kenilworth Tiger. I can sort of understand the need given the level of rivalry and back biting the franchise system encourages. It's so counter productive splitting the game into haves and have nots. And let's be honest. The game is not in particularly rude health with it.

It's not in anyone's interests for Wakefield to go under, and nor is it in anyone's interests for the clubs outside super league to languish and slowly but surely deteriorate.

#45 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Seems to me an awfully gleeful OP from Kenilworth Tiger. I can sort of understand the need given the level of rivalry and back biting the franchise system encourages. It's so counter productive splitting the game into haves and have nots. And let's be honest. The game is not in particularly rude health with it.

It's not in anyone's interests for Wakefield to go under, and nor is it in anyone's interests for the clubs outside super league to languish and slowly but surely deteriorate.

Don't be so pathetic - "awfully gleeful"

What a cock
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#46 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

Is that half price?

The wording 'half price' was in very large print on Wakefield Wildcats own advertising boards throughout the WMDC area. Take it up with them if you think they've got their sums wrong. It's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that the price of £125 for a season ticket represented half price of this season's normal match day admission through the turnstiles. Or maybe I'm wrong yet again.
Either way its proved to be a financial disaster. Is it coincidence that both Glover and Elston are apparently no longer running the show?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 01 September 2013 - 11:41 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

what wakey need to do is exactly what SO'C has done and get more money men to invest in the club to take it to the next level, widnes have realised that to move on we need extra investment and that one person cannot sustain a club successfully long term. SO'C did all the spadework of re-building the club and now has decided to step down as chairman (but still retain the controlling share holding) and has managed to get others on board for the next phase.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#48 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

On the issue of half price tickets.  Whether this is sensible depends upon if it is part of an overall strategy.   If for example it was as a loss leader to bring in more people that may subsequently find they enjoy the experience and then remain coming along in future seasons, would be a good idea - provided you are able to cover the very short term short fall.    Together with this you also ensure the overall experience is positive and have a plan to increase revenue per fan in other ways then its a reasonable plan.  

If its a finger in the air hopeful initiative then its not so good... I would find it hard to believe that this would have been the approach but yer never know.

#49 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Fantastic news for Wakey from today's press conference. The club will at last be run like a proper business with expenditure capped to not exceed income. "It's not rocket science" says new Chairman!

Season tickets have been too cheap and some players overpaid. The £400k quoted is the extra money Wakey need to be competitive in SL 2014. The squad we have will be what we can afford and we're aming to avoid relegation in 2014. If we do go down, we'll look to get back at the earliest opportunity, but we're not going to spend what we haven't got.

Hallelujah - at last!

http://wakefieldwild...carter/2013/09/

Edited by South Wakefield Sharks, 02 September 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#50 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Fantastic news for Wakey from today's press conference. The club will at last be run like a proper business with expenditure capped to not exceed income. "It's not rocket science" says new Chairman!

Season tickets have been too cheap and some players overpaid. The £400k quoted is the extra money Wakey need to be competitive in SL 2014. The squad we have will be what we can afford and we're aming to avoid relegation in 2014. If we do go down, we'll look to get back at the earliest opportunity, but we're not going to spend what we haven't got.

Hallelujah - at last!

Wildcats Chairman Michael Carter “I’ve put a lot of money in, Chris (Brereton, club Director) has put a lot of money in but we’re not rich people. I’ve looked at the finances and they’re not good. What I put out in the press release is correct – I need £400,000 in the next couple of months, be it from player sales or other investment. We’re cutting costs but that is on top of that.

It appears the 400K is not to be competitive in 2014 , but to get you through Sept & Oct 2013.

My understanding Tim Smiths sale to Salford last week, was to capitalise the club to pay the wages for last month:- next month? The sale of other players and possibly Kirmond hasn't been discounted.

Wildcats Chairman Michael Carter “At the same time I got a very decent offer ( 6 figure ) for Danny Kirmond and I said no, I didn’t want to sell Danny Kirmond and at that time I didn’t have to, but if I don’t get further investment in then yes, players are going to have to go."

http://www.wakefield...-sale-1-6006021

I do not rejoice in Wakefield predicament as is it a troubling time for both Players & fans soon after you had seemed have stepped on with decent performances & increasing gates in 2012.

My understanding is the RFL assisted the recent HMRC Winding up Petition & Elston/ Glover had borrowed against next years ticket income,   so I wouldn't rejoice as it sounds like there's a hard slog ahead.

Edited by Middleman, 02 September 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#51 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

It appears the 400K is not to be competitive in 2014 , but to get you through Sept & Oct 2013.

My understanding Tim Smiths sale to Salford last week, was to capitalise the club to pay the wages for last month:- next month? The sale of other players and possibly Kirmond hasn't been discounted.

I do not rejoice in Wakefield predicament as is it a troubling time for both Players & fans soon after you had seemed have stepped on with decent performances & increasing gates in 2012.

My understanding is the RFL assisted the recent HMRC Winding up Petition & Elston/ Glover had borrowed against next years ticket income,   so I wouldn't rejoice as it sounds like there's a hard slog ahead.

Long hard slog for sure & we're skint, but a least this guy says he's not going to make it worse. There is enough money around Wakey and a new stadium on the way to ensure that a properly run Wakey could be competitive in Super League, but only if it is run sensibly. The U19s academy for example is great and should mean a consistent supply of talent for the first team and to sell (!) for years to come.

#52 S72 Cat

S72 Cat
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

. It's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that the price of £125 for a season ticket represented half price of this season's normal match day admission through the turnstiles.

Bit of a back track there Terry.

So STs weren't sold at half price, they were promoted as saving the purchaser 50% on walk up prices over the season.

Walk up would cost a person about £260. I'm sure, with hindsight, that the current £180 is much more realistic, but the club had to build up a committed supporter base first and the £125 deal was part of that process.

#53 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I hope it works for them

#54 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Eventually the penny will drop and the RFL and the SL powerbrokers will get the message that the game in this country is not big enough to sustain full time professionalism at more than three or four clubs and plans will have to be formulated to operate at a greatly reduced wage level or even a semi pro structure for the majority of the game including many in SL.

Wakefield 3 times, Castleford, Bradford once and still struggling, Salford, Crusaders. soon I suspect London, Hull KR are or have recently been in financial straights trying to maintain full time professionalism. It is a desirable aim but seems a leap too far for many of our clubs.

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hallelujah - at last!

i hope he can live up to his word. Its all well and good saying we wont spend what we havent got, but the clubs will have to set their budgets before they get ticket and merchandise income in.
if performances suffer and crowds dip suddenly there is a gap in budget. The only way to avoid this is set your budget based on guaranteed income, and i suspect it would be almost impossible to put a strong team out without gate and merchandise uncome throughout the year.

Him saying - its not rocket science, does he think he is the cleverest chairman in the world of sport?

#56 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

i hope he can live up to his word. Its all well and good saying we wont spend what we havent got, but the clubs will have to set their budgets before they get ticket and merchandise income in.
if performances suffer and crowds dip suddenly there is a gap in budget. The only way to avoid this is set your budget based on guaranteed income, and i suspect it would be almost impossible to put a strong team out without gate and merchandise uncome throughout the year.

Him saying - its not rocket science, does he think he is the cleverest chairman in the world of sport?

No idea, but it always amazes me how many 'successful' businessmen go stupid once they get control of a sporting club. All businesses set budgets on predicted income, rather than guaranteed income. Nowt wrong with that, just need someone who can operate a calculator and can set realistic budgets. Interesting that he said commercial income this year was £400k and they were budgeting on £600k next year. No idea if that is realistic, but on soccer 'transfer deadline day', shows how cheap/poor our sport is in comparison. Also shows, you don't need massive amounts of money to make a real go of rugby league.

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

No idea, but it always amazes me how many 'successful' businessmen go stupid once they get control of a sporting club. All businesses set budgets on predicted income, rather than guaranteed income. Nowt wrong with that, just need someone who can operate a calculator and can set realistic budgets. Interesting that he said commercial income this year was £400k and they were budgeting on £600k next year. No idea if that is realistic, but on soccer 'transfer deadline day', shows how cheap/poor our sport is in comparison. Also shows, you don't need massive amounts of money to make a real go of rugby league.

so the risk is that commercial income doesnr deliver and a few bad performances see crowds drop by 1k per week. This is the kind of thing that suddenly leaves a huge gap in a budget - maybe around £400k.

#58 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

It might not be rocket science, but once the fans are screaming for new signings as the team slips down the league and relegation looms - fiscal reality will walk.

#59 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

so the risk is that commercial income doesnr deliver and a few bad performances see crowds drop by 1k per week. This is the kind of thing that suddenly leaves a huge gap in a budget - maybe around £400k.

I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to work out a budget. They know exactly how much gate income they have had this year. They should know what the breakdown was between season ticket sales, away tickets, kids, adults etc on the day. Not that hard to estimate what that might look like for 2014. With any budget, you set your budget and profile it with an element of risk, but you have to mange that risk.

#60 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

It might not be rocket science, but once the fans are screaming for new signings as the team slips down the league and relegation looms - fiscal reality will walk.

Well it shouldn't! If they have anything about them, they should run the club properly, not just pander to short-term goals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users