Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

lol

yeah because that will keep the fans comeing through the turnstyles wont it?

its a vicious circle and the RFL are rushing to embrace it

#62 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

lol

yeah because that will keep the fans comeing through the turnstyles wont it?

its a vicious circle and the RFL are rushing to embrace it

If you have to go bust to "keep the fans coming through the turnstiles" why bother trying to get those extra fans? No point spending £30 to get a fan coming though the turnstile at £20 is there? Doesn't seem like much of future.

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

I wouldn't have thought it was that hard to work out a budget. They know exactly how much gate income they have had this year. They should know what the breakdown was between season ticket sales, away tickets, kids, adults etc on the day. Not that hard to estimate what that might look like for 2014. With any budget, you set your budget and profile it with an element of risk, but you have to mange that risk.

the problem is that RL turnovers are so low that even a minor incident can cause a massive issue.
Bad weather, a sponsor going bust, a couple of injuries meaning underperformance - all of these things can easily happen and can soon add up.

The only way to manage the risk is to set a budget at a very conservative levels, that usually doesnt please fans.

I hope he is as clever as his pr suggests, I like Wakefield but I hope he understands the challenge thath, the game and all clubs face.

Edited by Dave T, 02 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#64 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

If you have to go bust to "keep the fans coming through the turnstiles" why bother trying to get those extra fans? No point spending £30 to get a fan coming though the turnstile at £20 is there? Doesn't seem like much of future.

Yeah, and how many clubs have gone bust over the years to avoid relegation or win promotion on those economics?

Wakey 3 times at least.

#65 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Apparently the the Scottish Wildcat will be extinct within a few years, very unfortunate choice of nickname.

#66 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Apparently the the Scottish Wildcat will be extinct within a few years, very unfortunate choice of nickname.

What 'Scottish'?

:)

#67 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Eventually the penny will drop and the RFL and the SL powerbrokers will get the message that the game in this country is not big enough to sustain full time professionalism at more than three or four clubs and plans will have to be formulated to operate at a greatly reduced wage level or even a semi pro structure for the majority of the game including many in SL.

Wakefield 3 times, Castleford, Bradford once and still struggling, Salford, Crusaders. soon I suspect London, Hull KR are or have recently been in financial straights trying to maintain full time professionalism. It is a desirable aim but seems a leap too far for many of our clubs.

How dare you. Every thing is all well and good in S/L. As you well know its the levels below S/L that are struggling.

#68 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

I think they are probably my second team and if warrington went out of existence I'd support them. They remind me of wire 10 years ago,battling against all the odds. Thing us wakey were the same too and whilst wire have turned it around they haven't. Shame but we can't let them die. A proud history and some great players. And win or lose I've had some fantastic days in the duke of york pub near the ground with the very friendly pub regulars!
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#69 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

What 'Scottish'?

:)

As in from Scotland, it lives in the highlands and interbreeding with domestic cats is threatening its exsitence.

#70 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

As in from Scotland, it lives in the highlands and interbreeding with domestic cats is threatening its exsitence.

Pussies the lot of 'em

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

If it was left to RL fans that is exactly what we would be doing tbh. How often do we hear fans asking for TV advertising and all sorts of promotion, irrespective of how much it costs and the return you get!

#72 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

I think they are probably my second team and if warrington went out of existence I'd support them. They remind me of wire 10 years ago,battling against all the odds. Thing us wakey were the same too and whilst wire have turned it around they haven't. Shame but we can't let them die. A proud history and some great players. And win or lose I've had some fantastic days in the duke of york pub near the ground with the very friendly pub regulars!

Wire turned it around by relieving them of Nathan Wood & Ben Westwood, then later Ryan Atkins.., Leeds helped out by taking Gareth Ellis, Now we're helping them through a crisis by giving Tim Smith a home , I suppose  at least they got some cash.

Expect Amour , Aiton , Kirmond , Cockayne, Collis to follow with Wigan , Leeds, Saints,  Hull . KR & Salford circling if the stop gap investment is not forthcomming. such was the case with Salford last season.

Until there is enough revenue from Sponsors, TV or every club has wealthy backers it will be so.     

#73 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wire turned it around by relieving them of Nathan Wood & Ben Westwood, then later Ryan Atkins.., Leeds helped out by taking Gareth Ellis, Now we're helping them through a crisis by giving Tim Smith a home , I suppose  at least they got some cash.
Expect Amour , Aiton , Kirmond , Cockayne, Collis to follow with Wigan , Leeds, Saints,  Hull . KR & Salford circling if the stop gap investment is not forthcomming. such was the case with Salford last season.
Until there is enough revenue from Sponsors, TV or every club has wealthy backers it will be so.

If clubs are well run they have much more chance of attracting investors. Either that or go totally belly up for someone to buy it & start again. If Wakey start to be run well and money is put in to ensure the ground, the academy, the finances etc etc are all run well, it makes the club much more attractive to a wealthy backer who wants to be associated with a successful sports club. The sums involved are not massive when you consider how much rich individuals chuck around in other sports like soccer.